Thread: Higher Carb Preference? page

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member

Higher Carb Preference?

Shop Now
    I've been trying to do lower card ~ 55 per day. I used to eat tons of oatmeal, but became Primal about a year ago and decided to give it up. This is the first time I've given up most starchy carbs in an attempt to get rid of the last bit of my body fat and see abs, but it seems that my stomach is more bloated when I eat less carbs. I'm unsure if I'm just not used to not having grain fiber yet, or maybe my body prefers a higher amount of carbs? Have any of you experienced this problem? I would attempt to add more carbs from sweet potatoes, but potatoes in general upset my stomach. Which is why I always ate oatmeal for the carbs because it doesn't seem to "stick" with me.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Sweet potatoes and potatoes really aren't the same thing -- try them out and see if you get the same result as potatoes. Otherwise, other good starch sources are white rice, winter squashes, carrots, beets, yams, taro, parsnips.... basically any edible root or tuber.

gordo is offline Senior Member
    In the US, what they sell as yams are really sweet potatoes.

Figure out what's causing your bloating. You might have a food intolerance. Indigestible carbs(fiber) is much more likely to cause bloating than is starch, all things being equal. We are talking about actual bloating, not just a failure to see abs, right?

Gordo

m e g a n foxy is offline Senior Member
    Yeah Gordo, I've always had a pretty sensitive stomach, so it may be sensitive to anything, but oatmeal a la higher carb seemed to lessen the bloat, which is strange because the fiber supposedly gives you gas and bloating. I love sweet potatoes, but I've tried them several ways and they just seem to upset the issue. I had ulcers when I was like, 11, if that helps?

TheFastCat is offline Senior Member
    When you say "bloat" is that gas? water retention? IBS? constipation? all of the above?
    ad astra per aspera

HillsideGina is offline Senior Member
    What's your daily diet like?

Bushrat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gordo View Post
    In the US, what they sell as yams are really sweet potatoes.
    Thanks. That clears up something that has been confusing me for a long time.