Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conventional meats page

heatherok is offline Junior Member

Conventional meats

Shop Now
    So I am very, very new to primal living.

What I am not doing is eating organic meats. And I do not see myself eating organic meats exclusively at any point, unless I win the lottery.

So how bad I am doing eating regular ground beef, regular chicken, regular bacon (even hickory smoked sometimes), regular produce, etc?

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Getting off the grains, vegetable oils, and processed foods is the single greatest improvement you could make to your diet -- the rest is gravy.

The biggest issue with conventional livestock is the omega-6 to omega-3 ratio. If that's something you worry about you can choose leaner cuts and supplement with fish oil. Otherwise, carry on knowing that you're at least 90% of the way there.

duckmama is offline Senior Member
    I'm in the same boat as you. I'm rarely able to eat organic meats - but sometimes. I do manage to get some organic produce (not all of it is organic) and some free range eggs occasionally. I have to keep my WOE within my budget so I do my best. I don't want to let budget woes stop me from eating according to PB, so I do my best. I figure eating conventional meat is (probably) much better for me than eating organic grains any day.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    This is something I am really struggling with... I want to buy grass-fed and organic, but I simply don't have the budget for it. I want this not only for my health, but to support it...I feel really pissed about buying conventional and supporting bad farming. I try to buy some stuff organic, but simply can't afford it all... so I do the best I can. Ugh.

Eva Lution is offline Member
    For produce, at least, you can keep a list of the Dirty Dozen/Clean Fifteen. That way you can buy those things organic that are most likely to be contaminated and save your money on the "clean fifteen" that seem to be okay conventionally grown. Here's a link: http://www.pbs.org/wnet/need-to-know...roduce/616/://

Not to be a party-pooper (I was not always able to afford organic--in fact, I was not always able to afford food), but for those of us who are financially able, it isn't just about what is safe for us to eat, it is about the workers in the fields/orchards and about the run-off, too. That said, for those who can't afford it, this is a great way to parse out your limited income.

I would also suggest you try and buy organic dairy if you are eating dairy.

But, as a previous poster said, you have made the first step and that is a BIG one. Anything you can do to improve your diet over the Standard American Diet is going to help you in the long run.

Good luck!

Eva
    Everything I eat has been proved by some doctor or other to be a deadly poison, and everything I don't eat has been proved to be indispensable for life. But I go marching on. ~George Bernard Shaw

Starting Weight (1/3/2011): 189
    Current Weight: 173

Goal: To be in the best shape ever by age 50! (5/11/2012)

Soil To Sustenance is offline Senior Member
    so I do the best I can. Ugh.
    Don't sweat it too much. Maybe buying conventional but local (where you can see how the animals were raised) would be a good compromise...

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    I feel so lucky to live in the city. I have access (by traveling) to 100% grassfed beef, lamb, bison, and pasture chicken/turkey and eggs. I just have to hop on the train and get them. They are more expensive, but it is worth it. I trimmed some unimportant stuff from my budget to be able afford them. What is more important? Buying books/games/unnecessary items (like paying $5 for dry swiffer sweeper cloths) or eating grassfed/organic meats? That was the decision I had to make.

I can understand how many can not afford 100% grassfed meats and organic produce/fruits. I can't myself. There are days when I do not eat grassfed/organic meats, but my supermarkets sells grainfed beef/chicken but with no added hormones or antibiotics. I just take extra fish oil. Sometimes I buy CAFO pork, and just trimmed off the fat or get the very lean cuts and add pasture butter/ghee or whatever.

Either way, one will do 100% better than most people. Which one is eating better? One who chowing down fast food junk or the one who is eating beef (even though it has hormones/antibiotics *this is debatable) with a Big Ass Salad dressed in Extra Virgin Olive Oil? One is at least eating WHOLE FOODS while the other is eating pure junk. That is what matters.

Just eliminating sugar/grains/processed foods is putting you on the right track. On the other hand, one needs to try their hardest to get 100% grassfed/organic meats, pasture eggs, and organic produce (at least the ones the matters) and fruits. No doubt, they are FAR MORE better than CAFO meats and conventional vegetables/fruits. But do what you can, and just know that you are eating 100% better than the one who is going to McDonald for Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner.

As far as toxins are concern, according to this extensive souse, very little (if not at all) residues of hormones and antibiotics are present in CAFO meats:

http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2010/1...ective-on.html
    http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2011/0...-guide-to.html

So if you are convinced, then it is safe and good (not optimum) to rely on lean/fatty CAFO meats and just take fish oil to supplement the imbalance omega 6:3 ratios (beef, lamb, goat, and bison have very little omega 6 to begin with, so don't worry about those). But if you can afford the better meats, then buy them (nutritional/environment wise, they are much better--->http://donmatesz.blogspot.com/2011/0...ide-to_21.html)
    Last edited by Zed; 02-19-2011 at 03:56 PM.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Soil To Sustenance View Post
    Don't sweat it too much. Maybe buying conventional but local (where you can see how the animals were raised) would be a good compromise...
    I do try to buy local whenever possible! In fact, one of our grocery stores just got in a new local source of beef! Also, I always buy organic cream for my coffee and if I eat cheese it's organic and from raw milk. I have also started buying organic eggs. There are somethings I just won't buy conventional... it's the meat I am having trouble with. So, I take my fishoil and try to buy the best meat I can.

I hope that anyone who can afford it is supporting the farmers who pasture their cattle.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Heatherok you'll be fine using conventional. As mentioned local is a good option too not always the best priced though. Local where I am usually equals greater expense.

ShaneC is offline Junior Member
    This thread has been reassuring for me as well.

I've been trying to eat primal(ish) for about 2 weeks now - and sourcing my food would be a challenge. I've just picking up whatever the local grocery store has that counts as "real" food and doesn't cost an arm and leg.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast