Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lines in teeth caused by malnutrition? page

eraserheadgirl Guest

Lines in teeth caused by malnutrition?

Shop Now
    Has anyone else dealt with lines in their teeth and/or translucent/grayish tips? Is this caused by malnutrition? Is it fixable without cosmetic work?

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I used to have that on occasion, but for some reason it would randomly go away. I used to brush my teeth often/hard but no longer do, maybe that's why? I also had receding gums when I did that. Now I brush them once a day and more softly and my gums are healthier, no translucent teeth, and I never have cavities. Not sure if this is the sole reason but it may be.

eraserheadgirl Guest
    I already brush my teeth very softly because I do have receding gums. My line and translucent tips don't come and go, though.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I brush 3 times daily and floss as well. I've not experienced or heard of that. I use both a regular brush and an Oral B Professional electric brush.

What did your dentist say?

eraserheadgirl Guest
    My dentist said that my enamel had worn off and that it was normal. I'm interested to hear if anyone has had this problem and been able to correct it.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    Once the enamel is gone it doesn't come back. You could get crowns or caps.

Acidy things like soda diet/regular, wine and fruit etc wear down the enamel. One should not brush for 20-30 minutes after having those as the enamel is at its weakest.
    Last edited by O_O; 02-19-2011 at 11:41 AM.

denise is offline Senior Member
    its called acid erosion. It gets mentioned in ads for toothpaste as a way to sell you something - but my dentist said it is an inevitable process and irreversible. Of course, not eating sugary crap any more can't hurt it - but any acid food, including fruit, will contribute to it.

I think you just have to live with it??

Anyone know a cure - I'll be VERY interested - I do NOT want to lose my teeth (I have a genuine phobia about missing teeth and dentures and I hate how veneers look most times and how they make someone sound - all sibilant. YUK. Sorry - phobic you see.)

denise is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by eraserheadgirl View Post
    Has anyone else dealt with lines in their teeth and/or translucent/grayish tips? Is this caused by malnutrition? Is it fixable without cosmetic work?
    and I have to add, exacerbated by bulimia!!! Stomach acid is a bitch for your teeth! One of the tell tale signs for diagnosis. I thank God mine seem to have survived well - I do have erosion but nothing "unusual" at the mo.

eraserheadgirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by denise View Post
    its called acid erosion. It gets mentioned in ads for toothpaste as a way to sell you something - but my dentist said it is an inevitable process and irreversible. Of course, not eating sugary crap any more can't hurt it - but any acid food, including fruit, will contribute to it.

I think you just have to live with it??

Anyone know a cure - I'll be VERY interested - I do NOT want to lose my teeth (I have a genuine phobia about missing teeth and dentures and I hate how veneers look most times and how they make someone sound - all sibilant. YUK. Sorry - phobic you see.)
    I drink tons of coffee and tea (but not sugar or fruit). I don't want to lose my teeth either! Maybe there is a cure!

Clymb is offline Senior Member
    I was told my enamel had worn away too--why would my teeth have recovered then? Now they look strong and are thick and white, as opposed to being translucent and having spots and lines on them. It was only my two front teeth though.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast