Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233

Thread: Denise's "better late than never" PB journal page 33

winencandy is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I never have to hunt for laundry...I get up in the morning and it is just "there"
    Every. Single. Day...
    "Be careful what you pretend to be because you are what you pretend to be." Kurt Vonnegut
    "I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by." Douglas Adams
    "Moderation sucks." Suse
    "Wine is a vegetable." Meaty
    "Every decision you make, from what you eat to what you do with your time tonight, turns you into who you are tomorrow and the day after that." Cmdr Chris Hadfield

Winencandy

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, me too.
    “Whether you think you can, or think you can’t — you’re right.” ~ Henry Ford

My primal journal

denise is offline Senior Member
    a quick posting.

Getting back to my running - in fact I'm typing this just before I go out on my "Sunday run" which is when I increase my minutage. I am up to 45' a day then I wlk/run (soometimes even sprint) minute intervals on the way back to make up to 60'ish when I have the time. Its still not easy - but I am getting some CV fitness back I think.

We had an overnight away and did some hiking. That showed me how much fitness I have lost since stopping running - and I ached the next day. My legs felt like I had done a lot of one legged squats - which I guess clambering up and down rocks does mimic! Some of the climbs were much tougher than I felt they should have been. If the weather doesn't break and become awful we plan to go away again this week for a couple of nights - while husband has a few days off. This time we will also take the bikes - I haven't been on mine for a couple of years - not since I got plantaar fasciitis while out on a ride (BIG hill, BIG gear, ordinary trainers = torn fascia). I am nervous but its time to get back on the bike too!

Food, well other than when we are away I am still tracking. Its interesting for sure. (I also "tracked" what I ate when we were away - putting in some estimates when we got back - which were very consistent. Not surprising I suppose, that was the idea.) I average about 120g of carbs a day. I know a lot of that comes from the sweet potato I have been having with lunch after running/training in the mornings. NOW, I relooked at the PB book and that, despite my calorie deficit of 1000+ cals a day (from working out/walking etc), means I am only in "effortless weight maintenance" range. Which is a pisser. I want weight loss - and let me tell you, less than 100 grams of carbs a day is NOT going to be bloody effortless to get any weight loss, less than 100g and I feel a bit wobbly and fat doesn't stop it!! 120g a day is hardly what I would call "effortless" either, it reduces my veggies and all but berries for fruit - let alone talking about the effort of resiting easter cakes, easter eggs, baked goods after a long hike. NOPE, not remotely effortless.
    In fact I am going to risk a post about this - and get all the replies about my portion sizes and fat consumption I guess. Thing is - how do I KNOW if I am losing weight anyway?? I am not getting on the scales any more - haven't for MONTHS. My clothes are not "falling off" though - they seem pretty much the same (some are too tight!)? I look "healthy" I guess - but a bit chubby for my liking, I lack muscle definition despite pushing some good weights for me. So also cue the "perhaps you weigh what you should" comments?? Though surely with this effort even if its not what my body really prefers i should be leaning out??

AAARRRGGGHHH.

I shall contemplate this as I run today.

Otherwise - all is well in my world. OK the camera finally, completely gave up and is broken, the washing machine just broke yesterday and so there is some major expenditure around the corner, but hey - life is still good

All is going ok at the mo - I have had some BAD times lately with depression, I have realised VLC is a disaster for me, I have "gone back" in some ways to my previous version of healthy - but I have absorbed some PB and so grains (with the occasional exception of rice) are history, I eat when i need to not when a clock tells me to, I try to rest more to fuel my exercise bursts, I eat full fat foods not low fat versions - and I know without a shadow of a doubt that sugar is my addiction, the only "food" I struggle to eat in moderation, and I suspect if I ever truly get rid of that problem, all the excess weight I carry will slowly but surely melt away - and so will several other issues (like depression).

BUT I am running again most days (today is a rest day though - see I do learn) and am very happy running my old distances plus a bit more when I want to. I missed it, I want to do it - end of. For the first time in well over a decade I am not a member of a gym - for the summer I plan to get out and about more instead and get that Vitamin D the natural way - then maybe rejoin in late autumn and work hard across the winter on "gym things". I don't "LHT" enough I know, but I have weights and I do use them a few times a week. I am actually working on letting go of my shiny new PB obsession along with all my others. I am a recovering carbphobic now and still have problems with a sodding banana - but I plan on getting recovered from that too. I don't add more fat to my food, but I don't remove naturally occurring fat from the food I eat either. I eat "real food" - but I can't swear that the occasional artificial sweetener doesn't pass my lips. In fact I am working towards just getting a grip and not being rigid in ANY way. There is a danger here that the other posts simply made me feel either they or I had "got it wrong". No, not true I think. A lot of people becoming convinced they are ill in some way, broken in some way - I am of the opinion that "normal" and "right" are moveable feasts and I'm not sick or wrong or any of those words. I carry more weight than I would like to - but hey, I'm ok. I can work on that in a variety of ways. Interestingly i recently did get on my scales - just to see where I was. I was exactly the same weight as I had been six months earlier. I weighed daily for 6 more days and saw huge fluctuations good (down) and bad (up) before realising that not weighing made more sense and stopping again. Twice a year will do!!

One last point for myself to remember - variety and moderation are probably key to my own success. Tried rigidity/discipline and extremes. Lets see how it goes.

To anyone who checks in on me "hi" and hope you are doing well!! I find the forum counterproductive for me at the mo - so not here often any more.

But hey - now I'm gone again.
    Last edited by denise; 06-07-2011 at 03:14 AM.

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    Hi Denise! Hopefully you've found a hybrid approach that works for you. Very tricky to go higher carb and also battle the sugar monster, I bet -- but if that's the tightrope you need to walk, I absolutely wish you the best.

Running does seem to sit well with you, from everything you've said here and in Batty's thread.

I just hope you don't end up feeling obliged to do the hours and hours a day in the gym as you described in ages past!

Totally understood RE: the forum.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

Quote Originally Posted by Jenny View Post
    Hi Denise! Hopefully you've found a hybrid approach that works for you. Very tricky to go higher carb and also battle the sugar monster, I bet -- but if that's the tightrope you need to walk, I absolutely wish you the best.

Running does seem to sit well with you, from everything you've said here and in Batty's thread.

I just hope you don't end up feeling obliged to do the hours and hours a day in the gym as you described in ages past!

Totally understood RE: the forum.
    hi pet - not even a member of a gym any more so just the running

My tightrope - well, it remains to be seen if I can walk it. BUT VLC was/is a disaster for me, it seems to cause episodes of deep depression. BUT I was fine when I first started PB (in fact better than ok except for weight gain) so the level of carbs I had then was fine. BUT according to the "new CW" (PB stylee) it was far too high, so I tried to cut it to "right" and .....a deep pit formed each time. My husband has banned VLC!!

Take care m'dear and I trust my personal experience is no indicator of your own success. x

Page 33 of 33 FirstFirst ... 23313233