Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A can of coconut milk every day, too much? page

deadeyenight is offline Junior Member

A can of coconut milk every day, too much?

Primal Fuel
    I am new to the primal world and just recently got sick for about a week (unrelated I believe). I hardly ate anything at all and didn't go to the gym. Unfortunately, I went from about 145 lbs down to 137 lbs and it shows. I want to get my mass back up, but I'm having trouble finding the calories (as you may be able to tell I'm a 'hard gainer').

I'm thinking about upping my protein shake uptake to twice the amount and every day. It would look like this: 4 scoops whey protein, 1 banana, water, 3 tbsp almond butter, 1 can coconut milk. Here are the nutrition facts:

Calories: 1,560
    Protein: 112 g
    Sat. Fat: 77 g

I know saturated fat isn't a bad thing in the primal philosophy, but is 75 grams too much to have day in & day out? CW suggests 20 grams or less per day, and although I know CW isn't anything to quote, I'd be so far exceeding it (not even including my other 3 daily meals) that it gives me some concern.
    Last edited by deadeyenight; 02-19-2011 at 09:56 AM.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    You do need other fat besides saturated. A large amount of coconut milk can for some cause some gassy issues.

These nutrition stats are just for my daily shake which I'd drink throughout the day. It doesn't include the 3 "normal" meals I'd be eating that would have plenty of normal fat. I'm just wondering if this large amount of saturated fat is something to worry about, and if I should drop it to half a can of coconut milk which would make the shake 1,200 calories and around 35 g sat. fat.

O_O
    I don't know what would be considered too much saturated fat if any is even considered too much. I just try to balance out the mufa's, omega 6's, 3's and saturated.

How much protein are you planning on eating?

On top of the protein from my shake, I plan on eating about an additional 80 grams spread over 3 meals.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by O_O View Post
    You do need other fat besides saturated. A large amount of coconut milk can for some cause some gassy issues.
    Why?

O_O
    Why what? Why gassy issues? Why do we need omega 3?

Pandadude is offline Senior Member
    If it doesn't upset your stomach or anything and it is the best way for you to get the calories you need, I don't see a problem with it.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pandadude View Post
    If it doesn't upset your stomach or anything and it is the best way for you to get the calories you need, I don't see a problem with it.
    Yeah, I think one of the easy ways to judge something like this is by whether or not you feel gross after eating it.
    I know I'd feel bad after eating something like that, but that's because I'm way smaller than you and not a hardgainer, and I usually don't even eat that many calories in a day, much less in one meal. However, it does sound really tasty, especially if you're using chocolate whey powder.
    Maybe someone who has similar goals as you do can give more insight, but it really doesn't sound bad to me.
    Also, this might be useful:
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-much-is-too-much/

ZocBarefoot is offline Junior Member
    I LOVE a good thick coconut milk. I don't seem to have gas problems, but I do have fairly rapid diarrhea afterwards for a couple BMs if I have a lot. Sometimes it does this, sometimes not.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast