Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: how bad is safflower oil? page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

how bad is safflower oil?

I bought a 15 lb can of cashew butter a few months ago, and it's just coming in now. I know that cashews aren't technically primal, but we use this nut butter for the kids' pancakes in the morning, and it's a good flour replacement for improvised baked goods. anyway, the problem with it is that it contains safflower oil. the oil separates out, so i'm considering pouring out the oil and maybe replacing it with something else, but before i go through the expense of adding something like macadamia nut oil to put on the cashew butter, i'd like to know how bad safflower oil really is. I know about the PUFAs, is there anything else i need to think about in this regard?

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I don't think a small amount is going to hurt you. We do need a balance of omega 6: omega 3.

Nut butters don't keep long so I would buy smaller containers and use within a few months. Also store in fridge.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Cashew butter seems to last a long time--even out of the fridge--though I would def store it in the fridge or a cool place if you have room.

Primal_VTHokie is offline Junior Member
    If it were me I would avoid safflower oil, simply because I have no idea where it comes from off the top of my head. In the future I would only buy something with either no oil or oil from an easily identifiable source.

However, since you've already bought it, if I were in your position I'd just enjoy it and avoid buying the same thing a second time. If you're using it to avoid grains and peanut butter, you're already a huge step ahead in the right direction. Safflower oil probably isn't that great, but since you've already got the stuff you might as well enjoy it. Count it as your 20. I doubt that ALL of the oil sits on top, though, so I think pouring it out and mixing something else in would be both ineffective and gross tasting.

Now... what's this about using cashew butter as flour?

grokka is offline Senior Member
    I would pour it out. While not awful, you're already getting a fair bit of O6 in the cashews themselves.

localad is offline Senior Member
    The pharmaceutical company SemBioSys Genetics is currently using transgenic safflower plants to produce human insulin as the global demand for the hormone grows.
    activate the rhythm, the rhythm that has always been within

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Cashew butter seems to last a long time--even out of the fridge--though I would def store it in the fridge or a cool place if you have room.
    yes, it does. i plan to fill several jars for the kitchen cupboard for convenience, and store the rest in the basement on some shelving (55-65F). during the summer, we'll probably store the jars in the fridge rather than the cupboard, but i don't think this container will last until the heat of summer sets in.
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_VTHokie View Post
    If it were me I would avoid safflower oil, simply because I have no idea where it comes from off the top of my head. In the future I would only buy something with either no oil or oil from an easily identifiable source.

However, since you've already bought it, if I were in your position I'd just enjoy it and avoid buying the same thing a second time. If you're using it to avoid grains and peanut butter, you're already a huge step ahead in the right direction. Safflower oil probably isn't that great, but since you've already got the stuff you might as well enjoy it. Count it as your 20. I doubt that ALL of the oil sits on top, though, so I think pouring it out and mixing something else in would be both ineffective and gross tasting.

Now... what's this about using cashew butter as flour?
    safflower oil comes from a safflower plant; it's the oil from a seed. the oil does sit on top of the cashew butter. of course, some of it will trapped in the cashew butter itself, but most of the oil separates out. trust me, it's a PITA to stir the oil back in. though i don't see why it would taste gross to use another mild-tasting oil to stir in (macadamia nut, hazelnut, other ideas?).
    i use it mainly for the kids' pancakes in the morning (banana+eggs+cashew butter), but have experimented in the past with making other sorts of foods with it.

it's not really a flour replacement exactly, but it can be used to make bun-like things, and i'm going to try to make cookies or a quick bread later. i think maybe rivvin posted a similar bun/bread recipe recently. based on what i've read so far, this isn't such a big issue that i'll cut it out. the kids' diets are based on meat, vegetables, pasture butter, organic dairy products, and the occasional serving of nuts or rice. considering the fact that my kids have been eating almost exclusively "good" fats like butter, lard, extra virgin olive oil, coconut oil their entire lives, this probably isn't such an issue.

Quote Originally Posted by localad View Post
    The pharmaceutical company SemBioSys Genetics is currently using transgenic safflower plants to produce human insulin as the global demand for the hormone grows.
    i saw that. ewww. i'll have to contact the nut butter company (East Wind) and see if they can give assurances that their safflower oil isn't contaminated with GM safflower.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 02-19-2011 at 05:36 PM.

O_O
    When I bring home a nut butter I turn the jar upside down for a few hours then I stir it. Once combined I refridgerate it. It won't seperate again.

We eat so much genetically modified foods especially in the produce section unless we eat certified organic.

this isn't a jar, it's 15 lbs. i think it i turned it upside down, the lid might break. we eat almost everything certified organic, though i hear ya.

O_O
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    A bit bigger than my 500g containers! LOL

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast