Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So the eggs I've been buying are not truly "free-range" after all page

maba is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

So, I've been buying eggs from an Amish Farmer for the last couple of months. He assured me his chickens are free-range and they eat grub and such. But today I heard his assistant say something about chicken-feed and I asked the farmer if he gave any additional food. He said he feeds them a grain-mixture of kelp, wheat, corn and some minerals. He said chickens need grains to lay eggs. He said he feeds about 80 lbs of this mixture per day to 300 chickens. Am I doomed to die of inflammation from too much O6? Just kidding, my question is are these eggs any better than the cage-free organic ones in the supermarkets? While eggs from no-grain-fed chickens are ideal, are these a better option than the eggs fed a "vegetarian-diet"? The yolks are definitely brighter than the store bought-ones but not as orange as the ones I've had in a village in the Mediterranean. Advice please.

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

What's the world coming to when you can't even trust Amish farmers? Sheesh.

I've heard before that the brighter the yolk the healthier the chicken, but I don't know if that's actually true or not.

DebFM is offline Senior Member

My mom keeps chickens & her eggs are great. However, if you live in a northern clime there are a few things that you can't avoid. One is to feed the chickens something; the other is that you have to give them artificial light. No laying once the days get short (like now).

Maba, it doesn't sound like your farmer is feeding them soy, which is the main thing you want to stay away from. Being that the eggs are local, I'd say they're better. Grocery store eggs can be pretty old. And "vegetarian feed" doesn't preclude soy. Yeck!

Hello Kitty is offline Junior Member

Here in Japan the yolks are much more orange than yellow. Very fresh and eggstremely tasty. So fresh that I learned the "hard" way that if I want to be able to peel the HB eggs, I need to buy them a couple weeks ahead of boiling.

I can't read the labels so I don't know what the chickens are doing.

PrimalGoddess is offline Junior Member

oh man! I read once in order for chickens to be classified "Cage Free" that just means they have to be let out of the cage once in awhile lol

not sure if this is true...

my grandma once fed her chickens pickles! can you imagine! she had a bunch of jars she didnt want so dumped them on the ground and the chickens gobbled them up! weird..xoxo Darlene

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member

Maba- I buy eggs from the Amish too. Do you go to the market or directly to the farm? I go to the farm and it's nice to see the hens pecking around the yard, though they do get chicken feed as well. Of course they're going to be inside rather than outside come the winter months, assuming I'll even get eggs at all. I still don't know how all that's supposed to work.

If you can go visit the farm sometime, I'd recommend it. It will give you a better idea of what "your" hens are doing. If they're free-range as the farmer says, and they're getting chicken feed on the side, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

pandapuffs Guest

PrimalGoddess, that's correct. "Free range" and "cage free" do NOT equal pastured by any stretch. The term "free range" requires only "access to the outdoors", which can (and often is) merely a chicken-sized door in a giant, barn-sized hen house. Granted, this is a step-up from typical caged eggs, where hens are kept in battery cages so small they can't really move around at all (they are really crammed in), but it's not even close to the bucolic vision of hens scratching and pecking in a farmyard.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

Keep buying them. "Cage free" eggs does not mean that they get all their sustenance from the barnyard. It means that their diet is supplement by (unlucky) bugs and seeds in the barnyard. I think all chickens are fed, well, feed.

As mentioned, hens won't lay when the days get too short. So, even there there has to be something unnatural.

The yolk is the proof of whatever is happening. The more dark orange it is vs. yellow, the more animal (bug) protein the hen is getting.

Your farmer was forthright when you asked specific questions. What more can you ask for?

maba is offline Senior Member

Thank you all. I was so disappointed to find out what I did and I also learned that the big brick of butter I bought from him was from grain-fed cows. He said it was illegal to sell raw butter in our state, but said he'd get some for me next week if I don't tell anyone (and you didn't hear this from me). Makes me feel like I'm buying some illegal drugs!!! But anyway, like you all say, it's probably still better than the store-bought ones. I need to make a trip to the farm sometime to see how the chickens are raised, thanks for the suggestion Diana.

PG, your account of your grandma feeding pickles to her chickens made me laugh out loud. My aunt in India feeds her dogs leftovers of whatever they eat, the dogs eat everything from rice, yoghurt, lentils to meat!!

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

OMG I can only afford regular store bought stuff. Should I just give up now, if I can't even avoid the grains in my meat/eggs.

Now I'm totally bummed.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast