Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Grade this program please page

tfarny is offline Senior Member

Grade this program please

Shop Now
    I'm plotting my post-SS program. It reflects my priorities and preferences for exercises that are fun for me and also useful. This is what I got so far:

"Totally Ripped" program – Mid April to end of June.
    goals 1) drop fat 2) increase conditioning 3) maintain or increase strength
    definitions 1) fit comfortably into a particular pair of 32” slacks with belt at second notch, no muffin top. This will entail 10-15 lb of fat loss 2) Run Jackie O Reservoir (1.5 mile loop) in 12:00, do “Cindy” @ 15 sets / 15 minutes. 3) no loss in 5rm on squat, bench, dead, PC, increase reps / weight on BW exercises. Make sure to reach goal #1, if that is happening make sure to reach / exceed goal #2, if that is also happening make sure to reach goal #3.
    Diet: Whole 30-ish with addition of butter / cream and minimal yogurt, cheese. Drinking only when out, wine only. Cut nuts, chocolate, all snacks. Coffee b4 noon only, herbal tea after. Skip Bfast whenever the mood strikes but especially on rest days. (aka “soft paleo”). Starchy veg as needed for workout energy.

Monday: Lift. Squat 2x3, bench 2x3, PC 3x3, weighted pushups @40 lb 2xf, dumbbell rows 2x8.
    Tuesday: Run. 1 mile for time, then 3, 2, 1 lap. Finish with chins 3xf. If it rains do “Cindy” or 100 burpees for time instead. Gradually work 1strun up to 1.5 miles / Jackie O. Reservoir loop.
    Wednesday: Rest. 1 hr+ walk.
    Thursday: Lift. PC 3x3, Chins w/ weights 3xf, Deadlift 1x5, Rings work (L-sit, tuck, etc.)
    Friday: Rest. 1 hr+ walk.
    Saturday: Run. 10x100 meter flat sprints or 10x50m hill sprints. HIT if raining. Finish with HS pushups work.
    Sunday: Rest. 1 hr+ walk.
    As time / energy allows, play racquetball or do boxing or rock climbing class after above workouts.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    looks pretty good tfarny. your goals seem reasonable too.
    i don't know what 'cindy' is...never been a crossfitter, but in terms of hitting your running goal, i think you want to gradually increase your first run on tuesdays to 2-3 miles...which will make 1.5 mi. in 12:00 seem a little more attainable. you may also want to throw in another running day, but keep it light, maybe post lifting on thursday.
    what are the numbers for your lifts? i'm sure you'll have no problem maintaining, i'm just curious. i actually saw a small increase in squat, bench and weighted pushups when i switched out of SL 3x per week to 2x per week.

Cindy is rounds for time of 5 chins, 10 pushups, 15 air squats. 1 round per minute is a hard pace (I think). As to the run, we'll see how that plays out - I want it to be at the pace of a dead hard run if that makes sense. I've never done much running by choice at all.
    I've still got 2 months of SS to go and I don't know where my lifts will be, but a 300lb 1rm dead /200 lb bench might be reasonable. My best lift is the dead @255, my bench is struggling right now @ 170, squat I'm building back up after taking extra time off from it due to knee injury. Tomorrow will be 175 which is very weak I know. Long skinny legs make for bad squatters. I don't intend to ever be a "good weightlifter" but it sure is a great way to get stronger.

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Looks like a solid, well thought out plan, but I agree with Rob that you should try to build up to some longer runs (2-3 miles). When you can run 3 miles, running 1.5 at a higher intensity becomes much easier. It's kinda like how squatting moderate/heavy weight for 3-5 reps will help your 1RM.

Btw, have you ever considered working with a trainer?
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

Thanks guys! Do you think a slow jog on a rest day, or a more intense 3 mile run on Thursday would be the best thing to add to that plan, then?

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    I've still got 2 months of SS to go
    Starting Strength?
    How come you dropped the overhead press? I think Rippetoe made good points on why you should overhead press if you bench press. If you have the book you have the knowledge on correct form and shouldn't have to worry about injuring you shoulders - they suck at first and you might not be able to use really heavy weights, but in time your shoulders will look proper and the whole area will be more stable as your bench goes up (very good if you want to bench in your 40s and beyond) - I had a good bench and row but my delts were kinda flat till I read SS and added the OP to my workout.
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

Al_Kavadlo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Thanks guys! Do you think a slow jog on a rest day, or a more intense 3 mile run on Thursday would be the best thing to add to that plan, then?
    Either/or

Also, upon further consideration, I agree with the above poster that you should toss in some sort of overhead press.
    "In theory, theory and practice are the same. In practice, they couldn't be more different."

"You can have anything you want, but you can't have everything you want."

My blog: http://www.AlKavadlo.com

I've been doing overhead press on SS (100lb 5rm best) but have been getting persistent and painful pinched nerves in my upper neck / shoulderblades, sometimes to the point that I couldn't sleep or turn my head much. So recently I replaced OHP with push presses and seated dumbbell presses and so far no more pinched nerves. I'm also working my OHP back up at the same time, thinking it may be fixed with better form.
    The program above does have HS pushups in it if you look carefully - an exercise I'd like to do now but would have to replace chins in my current program - but it's a really low volume weight program overall and something's got to give.

@ Al: Yeah, I have an occasional trainer for learning the big lifts, especially the Oly lifts, but thank you very much! Trainers are great for 1) motivation, which I have plenty of already, and 2) education, which I have some of and am getting more. But overall I'm a terrible student (been a teacher too long) and very cantankerous.

Rud3d0g is offline Senior Member
    I am reluctant to recommend the "false" grip to anyone with out knowing there experience level, but it completely changes the bar path and relieves impingement - that being said dropping 100 pounds on your dome would SUCK.
    Anyway heres a 5 tips from Wendler on the OP:
    http://articles.elitefts.com/article...eeks-oh-press/
    "First say to yourself what you would be; and then do what you have to do" - Epictetus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast