Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Healthy skin care, perfumes and other products for men? page

futhark is offline Member

Healthy skin care, perfumes and other products for men?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ok, so I was wondering about skin care products for us men, because we all know women have the luxury of choosing lots and lots of products from the top shelf, even though some are bad and some are good.

I have been thinking alot about all the products i have been using for years, like perfume, deodorants, moisturizers (it gets cold in Norway ) and since I've stepped into the Primal program I have removed my usual deodorant, perfume is long gone (because my skins gets red-ish of the alcohol) and now I use coconut oil as deodorant and a body moisturizer.

What I would like to hear from the guys is what kinds of brands (of perfume, deodorants, oils etc..)you're using, and if so, would recommend it to us all? We gotta look good for the ladies, you know..
    "Byrši betri
    berat mašur brautu aš
    en sé manvit mikiš"

Journal!
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...imal-Journal-_

eraserheadgirl Guest
    Tom's of Maine deodorant, essential oils for the body, such as sandalwood and musk, Wen for the hair, for the face- the Origins counter at Macy's or Dillard's has a range of products.

P.S. you might not have these thing in Norway...
    Last edited by eraserheadgirl; 02-19-2011 at 07:20 AM.

inquisitiveone is offline Senior Member
    I'm not a man, but since I'm part of the demographic you're hoping to attract (single female), my thoughts might be worthwhile to you. I strongly prefer a man's clean, natural scent to any sort of perfume or deodorant. If you wish to use some kind of scent, keep it as light and natural as possible—and use one that enhances your natural scent, rather than covers it up.

My moisturizer of choice is coconut oil too—I get the plain, unrefined kind in the oils section of the grocery store and it works just fine. I don't think we really need all the additives that body lotions often have in there. It would be such a pleasant surprise to encounter a gent who smells lightly of coconut!

inquisitiveone: Hey, all suggestions, male and female, are welcomed with open arms.

eraserheadgirl: What I can't get here, I can get it somewhere else..
    "Byrši betri
    berat mašur brautu aš
    en sé manvit mikiš"

Journal!

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Coconut oil or nothing.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Sungrazer: Well, you know, it would be nice to have some alternatives once in a while..
    Variations is the key element here.
    "Byrši betri
    berat mašur brautu aš
    en sé manvit mikiš"

Journal!

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    I keep telling my wife that, but she gets furious all the time!
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Essential oils man. All the big, long lasting, expensive scents typically are based on EOs. So just incorporate them into your body care routine and because they are all natural, you can experiment too.

Favorites are:

Sandalwood (but expensive right now, however it may be cheaper from where you are)
    Tonka Bean
    Patchouli
    Oakmoss
    Bay
    Cypress
    Ginger
    Black Pepper
    Vanilla
    Vetiver

You can add it to your deodorant too.

AS a woman (and a soapmaking business owner) I can tell you that women like earthy scents on men (80% of my sales to women, buying for their men were earthy scents), we like natural, we like you smelling like you were just outdoors chopping wood, working up a light sweat, muscles are twinging....

My top selling scent contains:

Italian Bergamot, Apple Wood and Tonka Bean to round out the darker, more sensuous Patchouli, Cedarwood, and Oakmoss. Cardamom, Vanilla Bourbon and allspice give it a spicy undertone.
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Suzan is offline Senior Member
    Due to extreme multiple chemical sensitivity, I had to do extensive research on this subject because I was an absolute cosmetic/fragrance junkie, and I got very sick.

There are no non-toxic fragrances, except for true essential oils. A product that lists "Fragrance" on its label is usually an artificial toxic fragrance made in a lab. Colognes/Perfumes contain things like formaldehyde, toluene, etc. Stay AWAY from department store products. They are full of synthetic chemicals, and they lie all the time. The entire business is totally self-regulated, no FDA, etc., and it is one big pile of deception, even the so-called "natural" products. Don't be sucked in to their advertising, because you are paying for the branding - the "name" and the packaging. Most of the product "lines" are made in only a couple of factories, and contain the same exact base ingredients, just re-arranged on the package ingredient listing. Companies that claim they are natural and organic are owned by a few big companies like Estee Lauder and Lancome, etc. They drop in a few buzzwords like "organic" and put a drop of essential oil in their products, amidst a ton of chemicals, and then call them "natural."

Coconut oil, Almond oil, and Jojoba oil are great base moisturizers, and citrus-based essential oils, imo, are clean and fresh-smelling. You can buy small bottles of essential oils and put a few drops in a spray bottle with purified water, and use as a scented spritz, or put a few drops in a jar with a carrier oil, such as almond oil for a moisturizer. Pure Shea Butter is solid at room temperature and it is great for a lip balm and a hair styler. If you want it to be scented, you can add a bit of vanilla. A little bit of scent goes a long way, less is more, imo. I don't know if they ship to Norway, but Mountain Rose Herbs has everything you need and more.

elorajade is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Suzan View Post

There are no non-toxic fragrances, except for true essential oils.
    I disagree with this statement. Its a very complex situation.

There ARE non-toxic fragrances out there that are phalate free, and are made from blends of natural esters and EOs (which is what I use in my FO based soaps). The oils I use are also OILS and not alcohol based, which means that I can use them at such a TINY percentage compared to the big guys because they are looking for max bang for their buck (read-cheap). Companies using the statement "parfum" on their labels can also be using EOs as the label applies to both FO and EO use. There are no regulations on the word "natural" this is true. Technically speaking, everything on this planet is considered "natural", even my car. But there are safeguards in place for the industry to ensure that they are adhering to safeguards when it comes to B&B products. The fragrace makers are regulated to an extent, the reason why they do not have to list the ingredients in their blends is because they are considered proprietary, which is why the word "parfum" is a catch-all.

That said, the FDA considers B&B products to be a wash off product, so they can get away with a lot that makes me cringe. I'm not trying to defend big business, but AS a soapmaker, with a soapmaking business I attempt to make natural and ethically made products that I can not only feel safe using, but selling to other people.

A great website is www.cosmeticsdatabase.com, where you can plug in your products and see the story.

In MY opinion, the real problem is with the cleaners, room fresheners and other scented products, THEY have absolutely NO safeguards when it comes to scenting their products. They are everywhere, and are making us all very very sensitive to chemicals.

There are also TOXIC essential oils out there, and citrus can be especially difficult to work with. Just because it's from nature, doesn't mean it isn't dangerous or toxic. Jasmine can cause miscarriage, the citrus family can cause photo-sensitivity and can affect various medications, rosemary can lower blood pressure, lemongrass (phototoxin), verbena (irritant), Cinnamon (irritant), wintergreen (a mere 1/2 tsp can kill a child). I'm sure you get the picture.

Here in Canada I have to disclose ALL of my recipes to Health Canada, all of my soap/B&B recipes are sent into HC Compliance and I have to disclose to them in what percentages that I am using of every ingredient. Not everyone does though, which is a major irritant to me, because I play by the rules. We are also given a giant list of cosmetic ingredients that we have to abide by ie: peppermint useage at no more than 1.5% of the total formulation etc. I will put "parfum" on the label where I have a special blend of EOs in my formulation. I already have an issue with other B&B makers here trying to copy my product, I'll be dammed if I'll give them my blend secrets. And no, I cannot just put "essential oils" on the label. Its, list them with their proper INCI names in descending usage, or use the "catch all" label of Parfum.

WE ARE regulated.

There is one chick here that makes cinnamon EO soap. Cinnamon EO is a natural skin irritant and contains a chemical that is used in "plumping" products because it brings the blood to the skins surface. Fun times for the naughty bits. She makes me want to scream.
    SW: 235
    CW:220
    Rough start due to major carb WD.

MWF: 1 hour run/walk, 1.5 hours in the gym - upper/lower and core
    Sat/Sun=Yard/house work, chasing kids, playing
    Family walk every night instead of everyone vegging in front of the TV
    Personal trainer to build muscle mass & to help meet goals

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast