Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: washing dishes page

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member

washing dishes

Shop Now
    I've gotten into a little scuffle with my roommates because, apparently, when I wash dishes that I was cooking in or eating from, there is still grease left over (that they can see and have apparently been traumatized for for the past SIX MONTHS but have only told me about it now. passive-aggressive much?). They are completely CW - as far as I know, they cook with margarine and corn oil. No real fats whatsoever. Do animal fats stick more to dishes?? Is getting the dishes completely clean ever a problem for you?

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    yeah my mom says my pans are never fully clean, but they look perfectly clean to me....shes constantly cleaning everything all the time though so it could be her

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member
    Never had a problem with that. Your roommate may just be weird. I once lived with a guy who refused to share flatware with anyone, so he would just buy big bags of plastic knives and forks to use.
    You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Geek's never made mention of it, and he' usually pretty anal about getting everything in the kitchen clean to keep bugs and rodents out.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    How do you remove the fat from nonstick pans? Those are the hardest.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I find that I need hotter water and more washing up liquid than I used to. Mind you, I *like* still having the grease on my cast iron...

Depends on your room temp really - I live in an old, cold place so the fat solidifies and needs a bit of melting/scrubbing off. Humour them, maybe try a different detergent, but I bet they're being a bit weird about it being arterycloggingsaturatedfat as well

Also, the sponge/cloth that you use to wash with might need washing out a lot more (I sling mine in the dishwasher quite a lot).

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    I suppose I need more changes of water and more soap when doing a big stack of greasy things, but one kind of grease is much like another. Maybe more saturated fats need hotter water? Anyway, your roommates do sound a bit weird - they stoically endured this Grease Hell you've been inflicting on them for six months before they finally couldn't bear it any more? Hm. My life's too short to argue with such paragons of virtue and restraint.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by imasin View Post
    How do you remove the fat from nonstick pans? Those are the hardest.
    I rinse with hot water from the tap first and then hand wash them in water hot enough for my hands to take.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    I keep my apartment pretty cold and I was noticing that the stovetop doesn't come completely clean from just soap and water. If you aim to accommodate them I would switch to Dawn and use one of those sponges that is scotch brite on one side. Fry pans should stay a little greasy IMO, take a brillo pad to the others.

Or get some new roommates.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

eraserheadgirl Guest
    If I were you, I would keep my own set of pots and pans.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast