Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Need some advice quickly! page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Need some advice quickly!

Primal Fuel
    I encouraged a friend to go on a Paleo diet and after only 6 days she's in the emergency room with what the dr's are calling kidney failure. From what I understand, a high protein diet can only exacerbate a pre-existing kidney condition, not cause one...correct? And that's besides the point because a Paleo diet isn't necessarily a high protein diet, it's a high fat, moderate protein, low carb diet.

Regardless, the dr. says that this is the result of too much fat and protein. Apparently she's not just dehydrated.

Thoughts, advice as I'm texting her back and forth from the emergency room...?
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

PrimalJen is offline Junior Member
    Hm, i've never heard that a high protein diet could do that to a pre-existing kidney condition. I'm curious to see what other people say to this..

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I'm sorry - this must be super stressful. I have been searching the literature and really cannot find anything indicating a high protein diet can cause renal failure. She likely had an underlying condition that declared itself because of increased protein intake. It is also possible that it is a coincident - people never want to believe that. I have a friend with chronic kidney disease. One week she was fine, the next, she was quite sick. Her kidneys had been shutting down slowly, but she never noticed.

I hope your friend is okay. Sorry I can't offer anything concrete.

It sounds to me like it's just a bad kidney infection (which has been confirmed) which gave the MD an opportunity to offer unsolicited advice about something completely unrelated.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Now she tells me "This is the 4th time I've had issues with my kidneys in the past 6 months." Is it bad that my most significant sigh of relief came when I realized this wasn't my fault rather than when she told me she was OK and they were sending her home?

It's astounding how many chronic issues she has. It really disappoints me that this will probably knock her off the Paleo boat for good what with her mom and dad hearing the BS the MD said about protein and fat.

Now that I think about it I'm just pissed off.

Oy vey - you were just put through the ringer for nothing. There is nothing wrong with being relieved that you didn't cause your friend harm....sounds very normal

Does she have a new sexual partner in the last six months? Sometimes a new partner can cause recurrent renal infections, especially if the female doesn't urinate right after sex.

TMI Alert:

I suppose I'm her new sexual partner but this just happened last weekend and we only got to 3rd base (no condom in sight...doh'!) so I'm not sure that counts!

Quote Originally Posted by Jokaman70 View Post
    TMI Alert:

I suppose I'm her new sexual partner but this just happened last weekend and we only got to 3rd base (no condom in sight...doh'!) so I'm not sure that counts!
    That's what I get for asking an inappropriate question

sanepsycho is offline Senior Member
    From what I have researched, high protein does not cause problems with normal kidneys, but may cause problems with kidneys that are not functioning normally. If she has been having kidney problems and wants to do primal, she may want to monitor her daily intake (fitday.com or livestrong.com have trackers) and keep it below a certain amount (not sure what would be recommended?) and eat more fat and increase the carbs. Primal doesn't necessarily have to be high protein - if I remember correctly , Mark advocates high fat, moderate protein.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Years ago I worked in research, and nearby there was an ongoing project involving low functioning kidneys and diet. Extremely high fat, moderate to low protein diets were what worked the best as I recall. High protein diets did not affect kidneys, but could exacerbate an existing condition if it was an extreme one. No idea what the end results of all that were, I just know that high fat, mid/low protein was what was working best at the time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast