Thread: Suggestions? page

marielle is offline Member

Suggestions?

Primal Fuel
    I was going to reply to Malpaz's topic on ammenhorrea, but it's slightly off-topic. So, here goes.
    I also have ammenhorrea and have been trying everything to get my cycle back on track. I'm starting my whole30 tomorrow, 30 days with no caffeine, alcohol, cigarettes, bovine dairy, and 8+ hours of sleep. My diet is already 90% Primal, but I am going to try and eat on a schedule because I have been diagnosed with adrenal exhaustion, and eating regular protein snacks is recommended to help cortisol levels lower more naturally. I was wondering if anyone else might be having the same issues, and what they were doing to resolve them, or if they had any additional suggestions. Thanks!

PrimalJen is offline Junior Member
    what is ithis? ive never heard of it? i looked it up and figured out its symptoms, but what causes it? Where you HA before or after starting a primal diet? Just curious to know from one female PB to another ;-)

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I had exogenous adrenal failure from years of taking steroids. Eating lots of fat and eliminating caffeine really helped reduce the stress on my adrenals. Also, I think going to sleep before 11 pm helped me. I think your whole thirty plan sounds good. I am not sure about making yourself eat on a schedule though. When I eat enough fat, I don't need to snack to keep my blood sugar stable.

My adrenals are now nearly normal (I think). I was only having periods once every few months, but now am back on every month. If I have a period of high stress or too many carb/not enough fat or start drinking coffee again, I can still have issues.

marielle is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJen View Post
    what is ithis? ive never heard of it? i looked it up and figured out its symptoms, but what causes it? Where you HA before or after starting a primal diet? Just curious to know from one female PB to another ;-)
    It's caused by chronic stress or traumatic events, and the symptoms persist because of the way lots of women handle them, i.e., tons of caffeine, sugar, high-carb snacks to get through the day. It's also really important to get plenty of sleep and manage stress well. I have been HA since joining the military (I have since gotten out because my health problems multiplied and got worse the longer I stayed in) and haven't noticed a change since going primal, but it's only been three weeks. There's a lot more info on adrenal fatigue here: http://www.womentowomen.com/adrenalfatigue/default.aspx There is tons of good info on that site, it's addictive.