Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: depression meds page

milkycereal is offline Senior Member

depression meds

Primal Fuel
    (not sure where to post this so im puttin it here)

Hey guys, im gonna be straight with you, i've done a few too many drugs these past few years. Pot, ecstacy, acid, shrooms; I guess i've been tryin to find "myself". I know I have alot going on up in my head, alot of good. But I can't seem to let any of it out without the help of these drugs.

There's something in these drugs, i'll call it X, that allows me to see and physcally live up to my potential.

X puts me in a better mood, makes me see the beauty in life, gives me more energy, more confindence, less anxiety, less stress.

But i've come to the conclusion, and i'm almost 100% sure, that my brain is unable to produce X by itself

I was depressed before the drugs as well, since pueberty. Maybe before then too but it really kicked off after 7th grade. I just remember the world got a whole lot darker. And I know the world does get bigger and scarier as you get older, but something was wrong then and something is wrong now.

I've cut the drugs, been eating healthy, excercising and all that. I'm convinced im lacking something.

Its my depression or lack of X that effects everything I do; my bad decisions and behavior my low mood, everything

What is my X? Are any of you on anti-depressants? I've heard they make you robotic, or emotionless, but i know I need something. I'm missing something.

Pitter is offline Member
    a couple questions for you:

how long have you been eating Primally?

have you ever tried any kind of therapy? any success?

In my own experience, I was always a bit depressed and especially so after puberty, so I can relate to that part of your comment. I did for a long time think that there was no other way for me to feel.

I have found that the Primal diet is a HUGE mood booster and mood stabilizer. I had previously eaten a very high carb diet, especially refined carbs because I was always too depressed to plan my meals ahead and would just grab whatever. Even though I knew better, I just couldn't get myself to make the right choice. So what finally got me to take care of myself? Antidepressants. I only took them for a total of 6 months, and it was enough to get me out of the vicious cycle of feeling bad and not taking care of myself. So, that's just my story FWIW.

I would avoid taking antidepressants if at all possible though. Give yourself plenty of time to eat primally and keep up the exercise and good sleep habits to see if you make some improvements on your own. I also recommend finding a therapist that you can relate to (it make take a couple tries to find a good one). Drugs as a last resort, but don't rule them out. My brother killed himself, and was on the path to do the same. Now I feel so positive and so calm- it's an amazing transformation for me.

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    My brain does not produce what it needs to. For many, many years I had no idea the depth of what I lived with, until I went on an anti-depressent as a mood stabilizer. It was like the clouds left and the sun came out. I cannot begin to describe how much better my life is on them. I lived with anxiety I had no idea I had. I had to learn how to relax, because I finally felt I could. From the time I was young, till my mid-30's, I had no idea what I was struggling with.

No one would tell a type I diabetic "its ok, just do XYZ and you'll be fine, just quit your insulin". No one would tell a person in need of dialysis "its ok, just do the following and you'll be fine, you won't need dialysis".

For whatever reason, my body doesn't produce the right balance of chemicals, so I take meds for it. Nothing will ever, ever convince me to stop taking them.

It takes time to find what works for you, but the difference in life when you do is incredible.

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    -Sorry about your brother man thats horrible

I've been eating primal for about a month now but i've been having carb binges latley as the "carb withdrawl" + depression + other stressors have been a bit too much for me.

I never tried therapy because honestly my depression made me feel weak, I didn't want to admit it to anyone including myself. but because other drugs have filled in the gap somewhat im sort of convinced its a biological thing

-Elain, what meds are you taking? I don't feel like im missing much, im not horribly depressed, just a few ticks below normal (or lower) all day everyday

Personally, Paxil is what works for me. For the first few years I went along pretty happily at a half the normal dose, now I take 3/4 the normal dose. The side effects of both going on, and coming off it are pretty awful, enough that you don't want to do either half-assed or without pretty close medical supervision.

Paxil turned my best friend into a raving lunatic :\ She is now on Cymbalta, and at 40-something she says for the first time in her life, she feels normal and in control of herself. She went on it easy too. She tried 3 or 4 different things over the years and nothing worked consistently over time.

I think that if I was going on something now, Paxil probably wouldn't have been the first choice, but hey it works and neither my Dr. or I want to mess with what is so obviously working well. There are so many options out there now, do your research and be willing to go through what it takes.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by milkycereal View Post
    What is my X?
    X=ketones.

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    X=ketones.
    Not in my case.

Pitter is offline Member
    thanks for the condolences.

1 month of eating primally isn't enough time yet for the diet to really affect your mood. Give it another month or 2 before considering antidepressants. They do work really well for lots of people, but they can have a ton of side effects, not to mention that it can take several weeks for them to take effect. So, you owe it to yourself to at least give a good primal diet a shot at helping your mood. Make sure you are eating lots of nutrient dense foods (kale, eggs, liver, pastured butter, etc) and consider a multi vitamin and vit D.

Good luck, I know it's really tough.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    I sympathize, I was a heavy drug user for 10+ years- coke, ecstasy, ketamine, acid and everything else.. It definitely caused some depression and also bad anxiety attacks, but this has got less and less the longer I've been Primal. Also the most dramatic change came about when I started to supplement VitD3 and Omega 3s so that should be your first step.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

hazyjane is offline Senior Member
    You most likely have a neurotransmitter deficiency. Check out The Ultramind Solution and The Mood Cure- both great books on this. diet and supplements can be tremendously helpful in correcting these imbalances. Another great book (with a Primal perspective) is Primal Body, Primal Mind.

Here are some articles and quizzes on neurotransmitter deficiency profiles:
    http://www.healthilluminationproduct...rotransmitters (scroll down)
    http://www.nutritional-healing.com.a...ess%20Symptoms
    http://www.createvibranthealth.com/wp/?page_id=102

Another thing that can help tremendously is neurofeedback (brain training). Our brain gets wired in imbalanced ways through traumas, stress, surgery, and even pre-birth circumstances. Once those imbalanced neural networks are there, they stay with us and affect the balance of our whole brain and nervous system. People often use substances to unknowingly self-treat these imbalanced neural networks (but the substances themselves usually create new imbalances over time).

Brain training helps the brain to form new neural networks and changes the way we perceive life and respond to stress. I've had clients overcome depression, PTSD, panic attacks, attention disorders, traumas, addictions and rage issues (just to name a few things!) with brain training. When I had my own brain trained, all my negative mind chatter/self-talk completely disappeared.

The particular neurofeedback technology I utilize produces fast results compared to other forms (so you save a lot of time and money in the long run)
    Here's more info: http://www.brainstatetech.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast