Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Leangains and Eating Primal page 6

JKD77 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I`ve been following IF program for roughly 4 weeks now & although I do see some positive change, I`m not sure if I`ve hit a plateau or just peaked & will not see any more change....

Back in my 20`s, I hit the 270lbs mark & was diagnosed as morbidly obese. Then I began martial arts training, since then, I lost roughly 100lbs in about 8 months. It has been ten years now & cannot find a way to cut anymore fat. I am currently at about 175-180lbs, still jiggly-fat (which I find devastating) & I have seen some positive change but not much. I am wondering if I am doing something wrong or just peaked & must accept what is......

The Rundown:

(Current Stats)
    Mon/Wed/Fri - 5x5 StrongLifts Program

Workout A:
    Squats-250lbs-5x5
    Bench-185lbs-5x5
    Barbell Rows-200lbs-5x5
    Pulldowns (underhand)-190lbs-3x8
    --------------------------------------------
    Workout B:
    Squats-255lbs-5x5
    Overhead Press-185lbs-5x5
    Deadlifts-250lbs-3x5
    Curls-45lbs-3x8
    Cable Tricep Extensions-90lbs-3x8
    ---------------------------------------------
    Tue/Thurs/Sat/Sun
    Low Intensity Cardio
    60min walking (Incline 3.5 - Pace 3.5)
    45min cycling (Low Intensity)
    Mon/Wed
    1hr/30min Martial Arts Training

I train mornings (6-7AM), coffee 15min before any workout, (coffee after any workout to kill any hunger)
    Eat at 1pm (currently I`m on a 24hr IF)

Workout Days or Rest Days, I consume roughly between 1600 to 1800 calories. I think if I consume less calories I will lose more fat... ????

Should I be patient & continue with the program or change something??
    Or accept that because I was morbidly obese, that I have peaked & will not change unless I have surgery? (i.e. Lipo/Abdominoplasty)
    I`d like to get down to 155-160lbs (if at all possible)

Any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated...

Sincerely,
    The GreenHorn

Peace

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member
    Great thread all. Quick question ... Rather than rice / potatoes, how about increased fruit intake post workout? For example following regular meal with banana/apples/berries?
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Buzz71 View Post
    Great thread all. Quick question ... Rather than rice / potatoes, how about increased fruit intake post workout? For example following regular meal with banana/apples/berries?
    The problem with fruit is that it has a higher proportion of fructose to glucose than starches do. Unripe bananas are lower in fructose and have more glucose (this is exactly why they are starchier), but I wouldn't recommend them as a carb-refeed source; they seem kinda hard to digest if they're too green.

From what I've heard, fructose can only go toward liver glycogen whereas glucose can go to liver or muscle glycogen. Also, fructose has some nasty metabolic effects in high doses. A banana a day is fine, but there's certainly a point where more fruit is not good.

Buzz71 is offline Senior Member
    hmmmm thanks yodiewan, I'm really going to have to think how to up the carbs on workout days. I've probably been closer to paleo than primal, I stubbornly don't want to re-add normal potatoes or rice, and I don't like sweet potatoes!
    Buzz71
    Come visit my blog about life, my journey and seizing the day: www.thecarpediem.net
    Read my Journal of Awesomeness!
    Follow me on Twitter: @Buzz_71 and @the_CarpeDiem
    My Primal slow movement challenge: 208.29km of 1000km completed in 2012!

Quote Originally Posted by Buzz71 View Post
    hmmmm thanks yodiewan, I'm really going to have to think how to up the carbs on workout days. I've probably been closer to paleo than primal, I stubbornly don't want to re-add normal potatoes or rice, and I don't like sweet potatoes!
    What about yams (true yam: Yam (vegetable) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia), or cassava/manioc?

Orchid is offline Senior Member
    Re fructose:

Martin B has mentioned that a mix of glucose with fructose is probably most beneficial for post-workout recovery.

I also found this, in one of the comments sections where he says:
    "That's true, fructose does not affect leptin in the same way as glucose. But this is hardly an issue in a non-retarded diet with whole foods. Unless you're drinking tons of soft drinks or eating refined shit daily you're in the safe zone."

And when you check out the fructose and sucrose content of non-dried, whole fruit, you see its nothing major. To hedge, you can cherry-pick (har har) the least fructose-y fruits. Anyway, it seems if you aren't sitting on your ass (or maybe even if you are) plant sources of fructose probably isn't an area deserving of our abundant neuroticism. If you can't help it (I can't) just tell yourself you're eating like a fructose-loving Kitavan.

Thanks for the info, Orchid. I still thought I read somewhere that starch is best for carb-refeeds, with some fruit, but not as the main source. Also, not really an argument, but don't Kitavans eat tons of yams?

PGC
    PGC is offline Junior Member
    I have been primal since July. Sometimes For the past 3 months, my hips circumference has been stuck at 90 cm.

This is around the time I stopped cross-fit style and started Starting Strength type training, which starts of really light so the intensity in workouts has probably been missing for a while too. I also started eating those yummy summer fruits I enjoy like mangos, which probably contain way to much sugar.

I did not care too much, as I had lost 7 cms from since starting going Primal and I do not that fat loss is not always linear. However, I feel that I might be stuck in some kind of rut and am hoping that IF can bust me through it.

I really like what I reading about peoples results on lean gains. The only problems I have is that my currently routine will not let me follow it to a t.

Basically I can only train early in the mornings before my wife and children are awake. So that is 4 or 5 am. So after training I need to eat and get a some protein.

Lunch is at work and I can happily skip that meal. Mainly because I am at work and don't have access to cooking utilities others than a microwave.

Dinner is a family bonding time for me at around 5 or 6pm. And I can't train if I wanted to again until 9pm as I have to spend time with the family.

If I only can skip lunch and after dinner primal snack meals, will that be okay for lean gains? As lean gains usually recommends skipping breakfast and then eating lunch and then eating one other meal with in 8 hours.

Can anyone tell me, if skipping lunch will suffice? Any other tips? Or any other ideas for my schedule?

Thanks in advance

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    You can skip lunch. But, how about skipping breakfast on days you don't train?

I love the fact that your family comes first. Being a great dad is very admirable in my book. Good look!

jackson44 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    PGC - Can you do a quick HIT WOD like 10 sprints or hill sprints before you go home? Can you fit in 20 min before family time?

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast