Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Leangains and Eating Primal page 4

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by yodiewan View Post
    @ozbuckley: From my personal experience, I've made better gains with higher-carb/lower-fat post-workout meals as Martin Berkhan suggests. However, I think the benefits of fasted training and eating most of your calories post-workout will still help with body recomposition. I've started thinking that all these tweaks are like stacking the odds (of losing fat/gaining muscle) in your favor and you can choose which ones fit your goals/lifestyle.
    Yeah cool. Well I can eat around 60g of Carbs a day so I might just have to put all those carbs into one basket (ie. my post workout meal) and then for each meal after that just eat fats and protein.
    I kind of did that anyway... just without the 16hr fasting.

We'll see how it goes. =)

Oz

xz123 is offline Junior Member
    So.. I thought I might just abuse this thread instead of opening a new one.
    I thought about starting a leangain-paleo-routine, but there are still a few things I'm not sure about, maybe someone here can help:

- generally, is it preferable to work out in a fasted state (and only BCAAs), and working out during the feeding phase is "only ok"?
    - the same rules are used for endurance-ish workouts (crossfit endurance style or HIITs in general) as for normal workout days? ("the rules": work out, maybe add some bcaas, eat a lot later)
    - what about lengthy skill-type-workouts (ie Parkour)?
    - what about days with strength and endurance type stuff? (I normally do strength things early and endurance type things at least three hours later) should I try to squish them all in the fasting phase, or is one in the feeding phase ok as well? and if so, which? and if it's the endurancy stuff, should I take in the carbs after that?

lots of questions, sorry, but I fail at navigating the leangains website properly, even with google and "site:leangains.com" ;)

/edit
    Just some additional things for information:
    My goal is not really fat loss but (what everybody dreams of ;) lean muscle gains, while increasing strength and fitness. I've always been to skinny, and although I'm slowly gaining weight now I still find it really hard to eat enough because I "don't want to get fat". And additionally I'm really bad at judging myself in the mirror to find out whether there's fat or muscle or whatever. (yeah, that's slightly "anorectic" behavior, I guess). So "knowing" that an approach would probably lead to more lean-ish gains would help me with that "block in my head", I hope.
    Last edited by xz123; 06-11-2011 at 11:19 AM.

korvix is offline Member
    mark sisson is full of shit, carbs are awesome, carb less life is miserable

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xz123 View Post
    So.. I thought I might just abuse this thread instead of opening a new one.
    I thought about starting a leangain-paleo-routine, but there are still a few things I'm not sure about, maybe someone here can help:

- generally, is it preferable to work out in a fasted state (and only BCAAs), and working out during the feeding phase is "only ok"?
    From what I gather, fasted training is better for fat loss. Non-fasted is better for muscle gains. Depends what you want to focus on more. Martin has protocols for both approcahes.
    - the same rules are used for endurance-ish workouts (crossfit endurance style or HIITs in general) as for normal workout days? ("the rules": work out, maybe add some bcaas, eat a lot later)
    - what about lengthy skill-type-workouts (ie Parkour)?
    - what about days with strength and endurance type stuff? (I normally do strength things early and endurance type things at least three hours later) should I try to squish them all in the fasting phase, or is one in the feeding phase ok as well? and if so, which? and if it's the endurancy stuff, should I take in the carbs after that?
    I'm pretty sure Martin recommends treating HIIT and skill workout days as rest days as far as your diet goes (lower cals, lower carbs). I'm not really sure what to tell you about strength + endurance days. I think Martin would tell you to drop the endurance or do it at another time. If I were doing it, I guess I would still do my strength training first, have my huge post-workout meal, and then do the endurance work after that.

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Has anybody with a regular job (off around 5) figured out how to do fasted training after work? He recommends two pre-workout meals for people with normal jobs. But as people have stated, fasted workouts are better for fat loss (my goal).
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggles View Post
    Has anybody with a regular job (off around 5) figured out how to do fasted training after work? He recommends two pre-workout meals for people with normal jobs. But as people have stated, fasted workouts are better for fat loss (my goal).
    Don't eat 3-4 hours before your workout, depends on how long it takes for you to 'feel' like you're not full. For instance I just finished my meal at 2pm and if today were a workout day I would do my workout around 6-7pm.

I have been training fasted for at least a year I think. I usually begin my workout between 3-4pm and eat my first meal starting around 6pm most days. I guess adding an extra hour would make it a little harder, but if you're going to bed later than I do, you could probably eat a later meal, say at 10 or even 11pm, in addition to your post-workout meal of course.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 10-13-2011 at 11:09 AM.

shiggles is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post
    Don't eat 3-4 hours before your workout, depends on how long it takes for you to 'feel' like you're not full. For instance I just finished my meal at 2pm and if today were a workout day I would do my workout around 6-7pm.
    I'm thinking of only doing one meal before the workout. If I eat lunch at a normal time (around 11-12) then I won't feel full, but I don't think it would really be a fasted workout, would it? I guess in my circumstances it's the best I can get while maintaining a 16/8 IF.

Do you eat carbs all day on workout days? Or do you just blast them PWO?
    A steak a day keeps the doctor away.

Quote Originally Posted by shiggles View Post
    Do you eat carbs all day on workout days? Or do you just blast them PWO?
    I blast them PWO. 150-200g of starch. I might have a small amount in my second meal also, but much less than PWO for sure. Martin recommends a small amount of carbs in your pre-workout meal if you're doing that. I think you can get almost the same results eating pre-workout. Just keep your cals and carbs lower on your rest days.

meatismyfriend is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    "What carb-foods do you eat on LHT days?"
    Sweet potatoes, yams, taro, fruit, yucca root, squash and peeled regular potatoes are your new friend

"What were/are your daily caloric intakes to reach your goals?"

I wish there were an easy answer for this, but it depends on a number of factors. For you, I'd say 2400 would be a minimum/maintenance level. If you start to gain fat, you can always cut back.

"Did you keep your carb intake to 100-150 g on LHT days, PB-style, or just try to average 100-150 g carbs/week allowing for fluctuation?"

To minimize fat gain, it can help to limit carbs to below 100, or better yet, below 50 on easy days. That being said, since you're a had gainer 100-150 might not cause any problems.

"Any opinion on how I determined by daily calories?"

Already answered in previous question.

Good luck and keep up the great work!

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast