Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Leangains and Eating Primal page 2

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    ah i gotcha, thnks for clearing tht up.

bob
    bob is offline Member
    Can I just say how helpful it is mentally hearing from others and their experiences?!?

Every time I read through Martin's site, I get confused. Maybe it's the civil engineer in me...I need that linear thinking path to follow. I did email him a while ago to request a consultation, but I am sure I am pretty far down the wait list.

Based on everyone's comments and reading Mark's article on refeeding, I decided to limit fat on heavy workout days to as close to 50g as possible, and just going for it with carbs, e.g., sweet potatoes, pumpkin, greek yogurt, berries, and other fruit. On non-heavy workout days, I can easily restrict carbs and pump up the fat. High protein every day. I weigh myself and take a bf% reading on Saturdays, so I look forward to seeing if I make any progress with these modifications.

The one thing I still want to nail down is what my daily calories should be. The 2800 cal that I calculated with the Cunningham equation is more than I can fit in my stomach in an 8 hour window!

@howzat117: Where did you find the 13*BW calculation for caloric intake on leangains? I have been re-reading trying to find this info, but have not been successful. For me, that would only be 1742/day, which is less than I was eating and just maintaining the same body weight before trying to jump on the leangains bandwagon.

howzat117 is offline Junior Member

Smile

hey bob

sure! it wasn't on his site, but this pdf i found that he wrote http://doubleyourgains.com/musclebui...oach_Final.pdf do a search for 13; i chose 13 as i have a desk job.

my advice would be to keep things as simple as possible. he says its OK to have low fat deserts but i'd suggest start from a base - even if its a week or two - of just sweet potato, white potato and fruit and as you progress and see what works for you add some things like low fat ice cream. i myself have very little fat, maybe 25gms, some of which is from fish oil and loads of carbs, around 450grams for the day which is all sweet/white potato and a little bit of fruit. i make some homemade fries in the acti fry which are awesome! so far this is definitely working for me. hope that helpls

bob
    bob is offline Member
    howzat117, THANK YOU! This pdf fills in a lot of the holes for me, and your suggestions make sense.

Keep me and anyone else who may be following this thread updated with your progress.

howzat117 is offline Junior Member
    no worries mate!

bob
    bob is offline Member
    After reading through the PDF to which howzat117 linked, I tweeked my daily intakes to reflect Martin's guidelines. Last week I gained a half pound and my body fat percentage remained constant (I take my readings once a week at the same time). If this trend continues, my weight gain each month would be 2 lbs - a realistic increase from what I have read elsewhere. Obviously, one week alone does not demonstrate anything, but the half pound did give me some motivation. Being the engineer, I had to create a spreadsheet to calculate my daily macronutrient goals based on the referenced PDF. I will clean it up tonight and post it for others to use if they want.

I have also realized as others have said that leangains and PB are two separate paths: leangains is structured in caloric intake, PB is eat when you are hungry and do not worry about your intake (to an extent). So, I am eating PB foods plus dairy according to the leangains structure.

By the way, I am doing the strength emphasis program in Ross Enamait's "Never Gymless". Holy crap, that is some serious/fun work!
    Last edited by bob; 03-02-2011 at 12:25 PM.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Sounds like you've got it figured out bob. I like meaganoff's suggestion of keeping others posted with progress and all that. I've been meaning to take some pics of myself to compare with older ones and will post them here along with my approach when I take them.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Bob - I think the same thing is happening to me. I'm gaining fractions of a lb a week, but my BF% is going down, from what I can see. My Macros were nearly equal for fat and protein, rather than favoring fat. This week, I went back to a more "Primal" way of eating with a higher fat percentage, as well as one refeed day a week where I keep fat low. I felt too full stuffing myself with protein at two huge meals. Not too "Primal", if you ask me. We'll see how it goes.

EVERYONE LOOKING TO LOSE WEIGHT while maintaining or building muscle: DO YOURSELF A HUGE FAVOR and read the article I posted on my blog yesterday. john_e_turner_ii posted this in another thread, and it's really awesome.

Good luck Leangainers

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    After reading through the PDF to which howzat117 linked, I tweeked my daily intakes to reflect Martin's guidelines. Last week I gained a half pound and my body fat percentage remained constant (I take my readings once a week at the same time). If this trend continues, my weight gain each month would be 2 lbs - a realistic increase from what I have read elsewhere. Obviously, one week alone does not demonstrate anything, but the half pound did give me some motivation. Being the engineer, I had to create a spreadsheet to calculate my daily macronutrient goals based on the referenced PDF. I will clean it up tonight and post it for others to use if they want.

I have also realized as others have said that leangains and PB are two separate paths: leangains is structured in caloric intake, PB is eat when you are hungry and do worry about your intake (to an extent). So, I am eating PB foods plus dairy according to the leangains structure.

By the way, I am doing the strength emphasis program in Ross Enamait's "Never Gymless". Holy crap, that is some serious/fun work!

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

Constantine4 is offline Junior Member
    The thread is relevant to my interests. I have been sticking to a 16/8 eating style for the past 4 months and it is awesome. I would like to explore the carb heavy days some more though. More thoughts to come.....

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    leangains works for GAINING....it is really effective at that. you GAIN muscle mass and with the right diet & routine lose body fat. however, it has its drawbacks...it still come down to calories/amounts/hormones... it can screw your cortisol and thyroid/adrenals, sleep, recovery etc.

a word to the wise, i put on 25lbs of lean mass with leangains and minimal fat gain...but regardless people looking to do this should know leangains is for GAINING

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast