Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: VLC and protein intake page

Saoirse is offline Senior Member

VLC and protein intake

Primal Fuel
    Just out of curiosity, how is it possible to be VLC, consume enough calories throughout the day for energy, and not over consume protein? Supposedly my lean body mass is 90lbs, so that's roughly 100-120 g protein, at the upper end, which is only 400-480 calories. With only 20g carbohydrates (80 calories), that's still 1240 cal|134g to be made up in fat (assuming i'm only eating 1800 calories, which would be pretty low for me), or 9-10 tablespoons of fat (assuming my meat is lean, which it is because i can't afford the fattier stuff).

So anyway, for those of you who eat VLC, what does a typical day's food intake look like? do you really eat all of that fat or do you over-consume protein? i don't have a problem with more fat in theory, only in practice (even as a 1/2&1/2 chugging, fat-loving gal, it's unappetizing). do you eat VLC every day, or is it more sporadic?

Thanks!

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Yup. Lots of Fat!

I eat approx 70% Fat, 20-25% Protein and 5-10% carbs.

Check out my Fitday journal (sans yesterday & today!)

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    the ratio of vegetable to fat can be large. it takes a lot of vegetables in the presence of high fat. say you have 100g of spinach(which is a crapload) and a tablespoon of ghee...that is VLC and high fat, add some fish and bacon grease, again ratio of protein to fat.

your ratios are around where mine are (well mostly), but your calorie intake is so much lower than mine. do you still feel like you have enough energy at that level? i noticed your avocado on feb. 15 said 1 serv. how much is that? i generally eat a whole avocado, which is around 18g carbs. do you count fiber toward your total carb count(i generally do even though it doesn't make sense to)? (sorry for the barrage of questions)
    Last edited by Saoirse; 02-18-2011 at 01:56 PM.

so mal, you come from a perspective of ratios rather than totals? so from that perspective, if i'm eating 2200 cal per day, 10% or less, or 55g, should be carbs? after protein (480 cal), 1665 cal (185g) should come from fat. wow, that's even more.

so it seems that unless i'm using a lot of cream, coconut cream, or butter, i would almost certainly eating lower-calorie. i'm wondering if it's practical to eat VLC without eating low-calorie (to me, anything under 1800 cal is low).

btw, here's my sparkpage: http://www.sparkpeople.com/myspark/nutrition.asp
    I don't know if you can look at it or not, but if you can, i haven't inputted for over a week. however, you can look back through the weeks. my diet has been staying more or less the same, i've just been too busy lately to input anything (though i have today).
    Last edited by Saoirse; 02-18-2011 at 02:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    your ratios are around where mine are (well mostly), but your calorie intake is so much lower than mine. do you still feel like you have enough energy at that level? i noticed your avocado on feb. 15 said 1 serv. how much is that? i generally eat a whole avocado, which is around 18g carbs. do you count fiber toward your total carb count(i generally do even though it doesn't make sense to)? (sorry for the barrage of questions)
    1 serving = 1/2 avocado

I only count net carbs and generally stay under 50 (except for the last couple of days!)

I've had pretty good energy on 1500 cal, but I'm pretty sedentary, compared to moms, anyway! I notice my body is wanting more this week (menses), so I ate a bit more for a few days. Still lost 1/2" from waist & hips!

Happy to help!

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    uhm... I'm following LeanGains at the moment, for me that's ~300g of protein daily. On lift days I take down carbs, and on non-lift days I eat fat, if I'm hungry. With a head of lettuce each day and maybe some fruit. Aside from protein I'm not counting anything.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

i like cheese, but it does not like me. creme fraiche is divine, but unfortunately too $$. thanks for sharing. i probably won't go VLC anytime soon, simply LC is working well enough for now, but i tend to ruminate on an idea for quite some time before actually implementing it, so this is good to think about for the future.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    wow, 300g! i'm not exercising right now, so i think that would be entirely too much for me. i had heard that more than adequate protein can=insulin spike. have you heard of anything like that? i don't remember where i read it, maybe somewhere on this forum.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast