Thread: Protiens, Veg and Fruit Separately? page

Primal_Island_Girl is offline Junior Member

Question Protiens, Veg and Fruit Separately?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi folks, I'm very new to Primal and have a question....Do you HAVE to mix food groups at meals or can you eat them separately?

Could I eat my protein in a meal my veggies in another and have fruit as a snack with no issues or is it imperative that you mix all types into one meal? I don't recall seeing any reference made to that in the book. If anybody can offer suggestions I'd appreciate it. TY!
    Height: 5' 7"
    Starting: 211.8 (43% bf)
    Current: 191.8
    Goal: 155 (23% bf)

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    I personally find fruit by itself is too sharp a carbohydrate hit and is likely to cause blood sugar spike and crash.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Primal_Island_Girl View Post
    Hi folks, I'm very new to Primal and have a question....Do you HAVE to mix food groups at meals or can you eat them separately?

Could I eat my protein in a meal my veggies in another and have fruit as a snack with no issues or is it imperative that you mix all types into one meal? I don't recall seeing any reference made to that in the book. If anybody can offer suggestions I'd appreciate it. TY!
    Do what works for you. You don't have to have a meal with meat + veggies. You can have a meal with just a fatty cut of meat, and call it a day (Grok would have done it lots of times!) Actually, once I eat a 14-16 ounce of well marbled boneless grass-fed rib eye steak (top with lots of butter), I really don't have room for veggies!

Zed
    Zed is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by runnergal View Post
    I personally find fruit by itself is too sharp a carbohydrate hit and is likely to cause blood sugar spike and crash.
    This actually bring up another interesting topic. I have often heard from certain nutritionists that you should always eat fruits on a empty stomach, or else the fruit will start to ferment in the stomach and cause problems (fruits they say get digested fast, and if it is hold up in the stomach by other foods, fruits start to rot). Sounds like a load of crap, but I am not experience in this area.

Wonder what others here have to say about this.........
    Last edited by Zed; 02-18-2011 at 03:07 PM.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Bunk. With a large meal you're probably looking at four hours to empty your stomach; fruit won't ferment that quickly. If there were significant fermentation you'd get gas (that's what happens with beans). FWIW before I went Primal I couldn't eat raw bell peppers without burping it up hours later. Now I put them in my BAS that's got meat, veg, and fruit, and no burps which means that my digestion has actually improved (the burps before would happen even when I ate only the pepper, so it's not because I was combining).

Vozz is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zed View Post
    I have often heard from certain nutritionists that you should always eat fruits on a empty stomach, or else the fruit will start to ferment in the stomach and cause problems (fruits they say get digested fast, and if it is hold up in the stomach by other foods, fruits start to rot). Sounds like a load of crap, but I am not experience in this area.

Wonder what others here have to say about this.........
    sounds like bs to me
    We need to have a global discussion about the epidemic of donut murder

Starting Weight: 238 lb
    Current Weight: 224 lb
    Goal: 190-200 lb
    Height: 6'-0"

Primal_Island_Girl is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the input guys. Good to know I can have one or the other if I feel like it.
    Height: 5' 7"
    Starting: 211.8 (43% bf)
    Current: 191.8
    Goal: 155 (23% bf)