Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How Intense Is Your LHT? page

john_solo is offline Senior Member

How Intense Is Your LHT?

Primal Fuel
    This should be my last question of the day...how intense is your LHT workout? Either body weight, dumbells, machines, etc, here are some specific questions:

• How high does your heart rate get?
    • How 'fast' do you lift? Traditional slow or more like a circuit?
    • How much rest between sets?
    • Do you count activities like burpees as a weight workout, or a cardio/sprint?

Thanks for indulging my OCD insanity today!

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    i do all bodyweight exercises (unless it's warm out and can throw stones and logs around), basically following mark's PBF with a round of explosive exercise thrown on at the end. hopefully, my answers will apply to you in some way:
    1. my heart rate can get pretty high. after 20 push ups it's nothing, but after 50 or plyo-pushups, it's cranking
    2. i move more like a circuit. occasionally i'll do slow squats just to make sure i'm hitting the right muscles
    3. about 30-40 seconds in between exercises, and 1-2 minutes in between circuits
    4. burpees are strictly a sprint workout for me

Nick "the Caveman" M. is offline Senior Member
    Here's my input....very intense.

To your specific questions:
    - I don't really check my heart rate...so not sure exact
    - I do a blend of explosive exercises and slower lifts. My 5x5 lifts are done with at a less explosive movement than when I am doing series of the bear, or plyometrics
    - When I do my 5x5 lifts, I am generally only resting 30 seconds between sets....60 seconds at max. For my more explosive lifts, I'll rest generally 60 seconds, but try to keep it under 2 mins
    - I do burpees on my stretching / sprinting days.

john_solo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by primalrob View Post
    i do all bodyweight exercises (unless it's warm out and can throw stones and logs around), basically following mark's PBF with a round of explosive exercise thrown on at the end. hopefully, my answers will apply to you in some way:
    1. my heart rate can get pretty high. after 20 push ups it's nothing, but after 50 or plyo-pushups, it's cranking
    2. i move more like a circuit. occasionally i'll do slow squats just to make sure i'm hitting the right muscles
    3. about 30-40 seconds in between exercises, and 1-2 minutes in between circuits
    4. burpees are strictly a sprint workout for me
    Thanks, Rob! So your LHT is also has a carido component, it would seem, simply by virtue of moving quickly through each primal movement?

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_solo View Post
    Thanks, Rob! So your LHT is also has a carido component, it would seem, simply by virtue of moving quickly through each primal movement?
    i'm definitely breathing hard and tired by the end, and my heart rate gets up there (though, i don't actually check the exact BPM), so there is some cardiovascular work being done. but i used to get even more winded and my heart rate would go up a lot just doing one set of five squats at 1.5xbodyweight. any good lifting session is going to raise your heart rate, imo.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by john_solo View Post
    So your LHT is also has a carido component, it would seem, simply by virtue of moving quickly through each primal movement?
    The Cori cycle drives the Krebs cycle.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I do the PB Fitness workout plus a couple of extra bodyweight moves.

My purpose in LHT is to gain muscle mass, primarily. So I lift super slow and do one (split) set to "failure".

Intense in a different way--my arms or legs are like jelly afterwards...

Meg-a-Tron is offline Senior Member
    High, panting and thudding occur lol. I lift very slowly, concentrating on form and contraction of the muscles involved. I rest until I feel comfortable doing the next set, 1-3 minutes I'd guess. I count them as warm up activities.
    Stats: 5'6" female, 21 years young
    Starting Weight: 187 lbs (March 2010)
    Current Weight: 143 lbs (Oct 2011)
    Goal BF: 20%

Super D Omega 3 daily & BCAAs preworkout

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    I do the PB Fitness workout plus a couple of extra bodyweight moves.

My purpose in LHT is to gain muscle mass, primarily. So I lift super slow and do one (split) set to "failure".

Intense in a different way--my arms or legs are like jelly afterwards...
    Sounds like a smart way to work out. Because muscle growth is highly dependent on genetics, my guess is you may see strength gains before you see muscle gains. And, the early strength gains are usually due to skill/neurological improvements.

Prime is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I do the LHT as outlined in the Primal Blueprint Fitness book. I'm incredibly sore the day after from each exercise!
    The workout has 5 movements, 2 cycles. I rest maybe 30 seconds before going on to the next exercise and about 2 minutes between cycles. I do the movements slowly, not explosive at all. Very methodical and intentional. This really seems to hit the spot. In the second cycle I tend to move a litte faster, mostly because I'm turning to jello and failing! I would count burpees as cardio/sprint, or maybe include them in a warmup. I wouldn't consider this an LHT move.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast