Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 40-60 Blue Diamond Roasted & Salted Almonds a Day? page

DogHermit is offline Junior Member

Question 40-60 Blue Diamond Roasted & Salted Almonds a Day?

Primal Fuel
    Day 8 of my Primal Journey...

I found the easiest way to avoid unhealthy snacking for me is nuts. After I read the "A Week in the Life of Mark Sisson" blog post two weeks ago, where he refers to eating a snack of nuts ["4:00 PM - Snack: Handful of macadamia nuts (20ish)"], I switched my snacking to exclusively nuts - almonds, to be exact, in quantities of 20 at a time. Blue Diamond brand were what the store had, so it's what I bought.

Never less than 20, never more than 60 over the course of a 24-hour period.

My short-term goal is weight-loss (5'8"/245 when I started (242 now)/45 YO), and long-term goals are higher energy levels, consistent moods, greater day-to-day core strength & endurance, high activity levels into older age.

Is this "un-primal" for any reason (processed nature of "roasted & salted," almonds instead of macadamia nuts, etc.)? Should I stop? Reduce? Edit?

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member
    Well, all nuts that are roasted in oil are roasted in the bad oils you want to avoid -- soybean, cottonseed, etc. So I would eat those only in an emergency (like, on a road trip and they were the only remotely acceptable thing I could get at a rest stop when I was was very hungry). Raw or dry roasted almonds would be better, although far from unproblematic as other folks will surely be on to point out in detail.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    For weightloss you are going to want to cut out the nuts, lots of carbs and calories for such a small snack.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Jenny is offline Senior Member
    True enough -- 60 almonds would be 1/4 of my planned calories for the day. I think I'd rather have something more filling, personally.
    "Trust me, you will soon enter a magical land full of delicious steakflowers, with butterbacons fluttering around over the extremely rompable grass and hillsides."

it1958 is offline Senior Member
    ditto...i had to cut nuts out as i was eating too many and they caused me to gain weight. For me, they're just too addictive...

earthspirit is offline Senior Member
    hot damn thats a lot of nut eating. if u like nuts, buy some pistachios that are still in the shell. u gotta work harder, and u make a mess u gotta clean up in order to eat them. so u will probably (probably!) eat less.

sanepsycho is offline Senior Member
    Diamond sells natural almonds and natural almonds with sea salt - not roasted - better than the roasted as no oils are added.

Primal_VTHokie is offline Junior Member
    Something my local grocery stores just started carrying this week -- Blue Diamond Oven-Roasted Almonds. They're not cooked in oil, but they're still roasted. Unsalted, too. They're insanely delicious.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Watch out--I just bought blue diamond almonds (snack pack size--perfect daily serving for me) and thought I was buying the raw kind (nothing but almonds) but got the roasted kind--all sorts of ingredients including *sugar*, *corn syrup*, etc...Not good.

I like to keep my nut consumption to a quarter cup a day or less personally. Not sure how many almonds that is, but otherwise I notice I start to gain weight. Macadamias are the best choice from an O3:O6 standpoint. But, snacking on nuts are def. better than eating a bunch of breadsticks or cookies...

Good luck finding the perfect amount for *you*.
    My Before/After Pics
    Are you new here? Be sure to check these links FIRST, before reading anything on the forum! Succeed & PB 101

"I am a work in progress." -Ani DiFranco

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I'd buy raw almonds and roast your own if desired. 40-60 is quite a lot in my opinion. I would suggest about 24-36 for a 1-1.5 ounce portion.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast