Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Random workout moves throughout the day page

Fufuhead is offline Member

Random workout moves throughout the day

Shop Now
    So, lately at work I've been taking a few minutes here and there to do different workout moves. For example if I go to the restroom I'll use the largest stall and probably do a few jump squats in there and maybe a few pushups. Then when I get up for some coffee I'll do some lunges or squats in the kitchen, maybe some dips on a chair. I have not gotten caught so far..

Am I weird or does anyone else do this?

Also, is this less effective than working out all at once? Do you think I lose any benefits by splitting up my workout so much?

bwhit is offline Senior Member
    I think that being more active is always good. I get chained to my desk way too often and that's a good way to move around more. Ideally I think you want to push yourself close to your limits in your workouts. Breaking it up like that probably won't get you there. So I would view it more as part of your "move slowly often" as opposed to a "Lift Heavy Things" or Sprint workout.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    This is good practice for increasing efficiency in the movements but probably shouldn't be classed as a workout per se.

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I've started going on short walks every 2 hours or so at work; it has helped the trapped in the cube effect. Still, adding some bodyweight moves would be good. And, if I get caught, I'll just mention the 50 lbs I've lost so far and smile as I continue.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    This is good practice for increasing efficiency in the movements but probably shouldn't be classed as a workout per se.
    +1

You'll build neurotransmitter connections, but not muscle mass.

iniQuity is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach Palfrey View Post
    Exactly.

I do what the OP does sometimes too, dips in the handicapped bathroom (I feel kinda guilty on that one), L-sits for time, one arm wall push ups, etc. I definitely don’t consider them a workout, but I do get better the more I do it, so I just look at it as practice and to counter-act sitting on a desk under fluorescent lighting all damn day.

I say keep at it, but structured workouts are more beneficial so do those at least twice a week, and at home/gym… you weirdo =]

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Agreed. I see these random moves as a way to keep from being an utterly sedentary cube dweller. LHT workouts are separate.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fufuhead View Post
    So, lately at work I've been taking a few minutes here and there to do different workout moves. For example if I go to the restroom I'll use the largest stall and probably do a few jump squats in there and maybe a few pushups. Then when I get up for some coffee I'll do some lunges or squats in the kitchen, maybe some dips on a chair. I have not gotten caught so far..

Am I weird or does anyone else do this?

Also, is this less effective than working out all at once? Do you think I lose any benefits by splitting up my workout so much?

I do this at work. Random push-ups off tables (because there's no way I'm putting my hands on this floor!) or L-sits, or squats. Anything to add in a little movement. It's not a workout on its own, but it's a great addition to a regular workout.

Try balancing on one foot for 5 minutes straight. OMG, that takes some coordination- lol

Fufuhead is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by iniQuity View Post

I say keep at it, but structured workouts are more beneficial so do those at least twice a week, and at home/gym… you weirdo =]
    I also LHT twice a week, bike or walk to & from work, and try to get in one sprint a week on a stationary bike or jump rope. So, I guess I wasn't totally clear that I'm doing this in addition to my normal workout sessions. Mostly I wanted to know if anyone else did this so I don't feel like a complete weirdo. I've suggested this to people at work, but no one wants to join me for some tricep dips...

Also, I'll have to do more research on building muscle mass and strength, but I thought one of the main components to building muscle was working muscle groups until fatigue. So, lets say I did sets of pushups until fatigue at 8 am, at noon, and at 3pm. Wouldn't that build muscle? I understand there wouldn't be the aerobic benefits of keeping a raised heart rate as much as a 30 minute session would provide.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

You'll build neurotransmitter connections, but not muscle mass.
    Hmm, not sure what that means, increasing efficiency of the movements like someone else here said? I am a physical scientist/computer nerd and haven't taken biology since freshman year of high school...

iniQuity is online now Senior Member
    What Dragonfly means is you'll teach your nervous system to perform that movement better everytime.... right Dragonfly?

And you're wrong in thinking that strength is built by fatiguing the muscle, this isn't true. You want to work just short of failure, and you don't want to do this 3 times a day.

It comes down to total tension, for instance, I could work something easy many times a day (like wall push ups, which for me require minimal strength) but I wouldn't be able, nor would it be recommended, for me to train something like planche push ups many times a day (planche push ups are push ups performed with only your hands making contact with the ground, it is a very difficult exercise that requires total body tension, balance and above average strength)

If you want to just get strong, your two LHT sessions a week should suffice if you make it a point to push yourself but NOT to train to failure.

Training to failure has its place though, for instance, I'm going to be working on increasing my reps on different exercises, but this would be difficult without flirting with failure simply because I have to know what my failure number actually is so that in my next training session I can try to push past it. However, this is NOT strength training, it's endurance training... and I really don't want to get into that one right now.

For strength, keep it brief and heavy.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast