Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pull ups/ pull up bars, for a heavy person page

Horsewoman is offline Senior Member

Pull ups/ pull up bars, for a heavy person

Shop Now
    Hi, I'm doing the PF bodyweight exercises but don't have anywhere to do pull ups. Am considering a pull up bar but not sure what weight they are safe up to (I'm about 240lbs) and am confused by the different types. Our doorframes are flimsy, I don't want to damage anything. What would you recommend? I'd like to be able to do them at home as part of the full routine.

Thanks v much.
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

Eat food. Mostly real. Enjoy life.

Health, energy, wellbeing, vitality, joy, LIFE! Health At Every Size

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

David_DC is offline Senior Member
    Hi Horsewoman,

Not sure where you are at, but I just purchased the 'iron gym' from Target.

http://www.target.com/Iron-Total-Upp...n&frombrowse=0

Listed as $29.99 but it rang up at $13 and some change when I bought it yesterday. Says it can hold up to 270 LBS, and it held my 260 LB body up with no problems.

primalrob is offline Senior Member
    the doorframe pull up bars--like irongym-- are pretty good. they install and come down in two seconds, and i'm pretty sure they can handle a good amount of weight. i've had friends that were 250+ try pull ups on them, and i'm 180 and can explode up, release, and catch myself on the bar and it does just fine...that's got to be way more than 240 pounds of pressure.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Most of the doorframe pull up bars the force goes into the wall above the frame, not the frame itself. Doors have studding around them and that is what is taking the weight.

I want to get a few woody bands to go with mine. I find the chair support awkward and my shoulder isnt repaired enough to do max weight. I can do about 2 full pullups or 3-4 negatives, but my healing shoulder does NOT like it. At the gym I am doing 50% bodyweight on the gravitron and that is about appropriate.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Thanks v much. I'm in the UK but we have ones like that here too .
    Gluten intolerance and hypermobility syndrome http://www.cfids.org/pdf/joint-hypermobility-guide.pdf

"Do not ask what the world needs; ask yourself what makes you come alive. And then go and do that, because what the world needs is people who have come alive."
    Harold Whitman

Last edited by Horsewoman; 02-18-2011 at 09:14 AM.

Harold Whitman

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    If that one is not the same, it's similar (though they've put it together wrong in the picture, the horizontal bar should be sitting atop the support, not hanging underneath it - just an fyi when you put your own together). I got the one from Beachbody when I ordered my p90x DVDs for like 40 bucks. It's pretty much the same thing. Anyway, I was using mine at 350 lbs (braggart video about how much weight their bar can hold) to do jumping pull-ups and (with the help of my handy dandy step ladder) Australian style pull-ups, and negatives.

I did mount it to an outside door with a sturdier frame, and I definitely recommend folding an oven mitt to put under the bar where it presses against the door frame just to keep it from denting when you put your weight on the bar.

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    the price of ours was very low -- but very high. there was nothing like it in NZ, but we were able to order it from the US. using a coupon, we got it for $4 USD, and then because it was amazon and we also added books (used with gift certificate) and the value was over $50 we got free shipping to a US address. they, then, shipped the package to us for about $35 USD. so we only paid about $10 USD more than the regular USD price.

we love it. we have "the perfect pull up." it moves, so we can do those inverted row things. it swings down to a low position, and you can also do a standing row, which helps learning pull ups.

but i don't know what weight it can take. since we are both below 180, it's not so much of a concern for us.

How about this? http://www.chinups.co.uk/

Harold Whitman

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    my wife uses the Iron Gym one, and I did as well before putting a steel pipe into a support beam.

I will tell you that the Iron Gym pull up bar will support 305lbs for reps
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast