Thread: Freak Out Time. Realized going to Bartle in June & worried about Camp food choices page

jmday is offline Senior Member
    California Native living in land locked Kansas

Freak Out Time. Realized going to Bartle in June & worried about Camp food choices

Primal Fuel
    So sometime this last fall, DH and I decided that we would go to Bartle boy scout camp with our sons this coming summer. We're doing good, exercising, getting healthy, making good food choices. We're in total control of what we bring in the house or choose to eat when we eat out.

Then, I stopped in the middle of dinner last night, thinking, "Holy Mother of God! We have to eat camp food in June!!!"

And now I'm having visions of only cereal for breakfast, hot dogs & buns, spaghetti for dinner. I know I can "request" meals for special dietary concerns. Would love to hear some ideas from my fellow Groks & Grokette's out there.

Also will need ideas for on the go portable snacks that won't melt and can be stored easily in a foot locker to keep the beastie raccoon's away from my grub.

Many thanks!!! JMD

nmuzzatti is offline Junior Member
    Beef jerkey....lots of it.

Also, this might be one of those 80/20 moments. There is only so much you can do, right?

keji is offline Junior Member
    Ask for gluten free meals, definitely.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Gluten allergy and allergy to artificial ingredients/food colorings; I happen to have the latter so I bust it out sometimes when I feel the need to.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

RichardW is offline Junior Member
    all good replies, but...you ARE going to be at boy scout camp, so...
    what better time to teach the youngsters about hunting, fishing
    and foraging. doesnt get any fresher, or primal, than that!

--richard

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    A big bag of almonds.

milkycereal is offline Senior Member
    i'd go with the gluten-free thing...but yeah your in a pickle. I hate having to be "that guy" in situations like that

Too funny! I'm actually not "that guy" but am that MOM!!!! Last April taught a bunch of boys how to gut and clean fish for their Fishing Merit badge. Which led to the inevitible comments, "how come we always see pictures of you with a knife in your hands?" Camping with BSA is like going with all of your favorite ( and some not) older brothers. They look out for you but sometimes are the biggest pains in the arse.

Thanks for all the ideas. It's easy when you are shopping /cooking for yourself, but harder to put in vernacular so people can understand exactly what you are trying to avoid.

jmday

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking about this, too. I'll be going to a camp in july, and since I didn't care about eating well last year (and didn't eat meat), I don't even remember what kind of food they have in regards to meat and vegetables, LOL. I know they have eggs in the morning, but they're from cartons (I think), which is kind of gross. It's only 5 days, but I'd rather not end up eating a gluten-free PB&J like last year. It was disgusting...
    Can you bring a cooler full of food?

I'm thinking as long as the container is critter proof, why wouldn't you bring your own stash? I've see the snacks in the store. Blech.
    Quizzed thr kids on meals. They said the eggs were the one thing to avoid (unless you like powdered instutional variety). Have cereal mom! more blech now.
    It will all work out. It will all work out. It will all work out.