Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Starting Strength is Getting Scary page 3

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    OK you've been given the right advice. BTW, where the frick did you read to put on 15KG a week? 15 lb is less than half that, and that's only if you hit the squats.

DONT DO SS UNLESS: 1) you've read the book and understand it, and are actively learning proper form 2) you are actually committed to getting frickin strong, which will require nasty gut wrenching squatting and a lot of it. It is not fun and easy. If you need fun and easy there are lots of other programs, they just won't get you frickin strong like SS will.

Oh, and here's how you know a weight is too heavy: You squat it down, and can't get it up despite pushing with every fiber of your being and you have to dump it in the safety pins. You curse a blue streak, rest five minutes, then try it again. Do that three workouts in a row and you can honestly say the weight is too heavy. "Feeling heavy" is exactly how it's supposed to feel - it's supposed to be the heaviest thing you've ever put on your back, every time.

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member
    Being scared is a good thing. If I don't feel scared before at least one workout a week I'm not training hard enough.

But, your original post does make me question your squat technique - have it checked (maybe post a video here?). Do you know how to dump the bar safely?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    OK you've been given the right advice. BTW, where the frick did you read to put on 15KG a week? 15 lb is less than half that, and that's only if you hit the squats.

DONT DO SS UNLESS: 1) you've read the book and understand it, and are actively learning proper form 2) you are actually committed to getting frickin strong, which will require nasty gut wrenching squatting and a lot of it. It is not fun and easy. If you need fun and easy there are lots of other programs, they just won't get you frickin strong like SS will.

Oh, and here's how you know a weight is too heavy: You squat it down, and can't get it up despite pushing with every fiber of your being and you have to dump it in the safety pins. You curse a blue streak, rest five minutes, then try it again. Do that three workouts in a row and you can honestly say the weight is too heavy. "Feeling heavy" is exactly how it's supposed to feel - it's supposed to be the heaviest thing you've ever put on your back, every time.
    If I ever take up SS again I'm going to contact you so you can guide me through a workout since we're somewhat nearby. For pointers and bro-hugs.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    haha! Yeah I'm so encouraging. I'm really a beginner at weight training, honestly I shouldn't really be posting this stuff. Check out the SS forum, there are a lot of seriously strong guys on there, I've learned a lot. They post vids and critique form as well.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post

erm well i thought the plan was to put on weight every workout? and i squat 3 times a week? I understand that its supposed to be the heaviest ever haha!

I've had my technique checked by the coaches at the college so i'm happy with that, i just a little encouragement i guess, i dont know anyone else who likes to do anything apart from walking on the treadmill for 5mins once a month grr

Thanks again for all your advice, i'll get back on it Monday!

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by grouchos_tash View Post
    erm well i thought the plan was to put on weight every workout? and i squat 3 times a week? I understand that its supposed to be the heaviest ever haha!

I've had my technique checked by the coaches at the college so i'm happy with that, i just a little encouragement i guess, i dont know anyone else who likes to do anything apart from walking on the treadmill for 5mins once a month grr

Thanks again for all your advice, i'll get back on it Monday!
    You do add weight every session for as long as you can while keeping form and hitting the set/rep numbers, but you should be adding 5lbs a session and not 5kg.
    Gotta love all the lame workouts at the college gyms, but what can ya do.
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

Kaeden is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Adventure8410 View Post
    You do add weight every session for as long as you can while keeping form and hitting the set/rep numbers, but you should be adding 5lbs a session and not 5kg.
    Gotta love all the lame workouts at the college gyms, but what can ya do.
    You add 5 ibs till you stall. Stalling being missing reps on a work out for two work outs in a row. Reset the weight 10 to 20% till you stall again. Reset again. Stall again. Reset Again. Begin microloading with 2.5 ibs. Stall. Reset. Stall. Reset. Stall. Reset.

Once you reach 2 x BW on squat look into the more advance weekly periodization routines.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    In the beginning you can get away with loading 5kg every workout, and when it gets hard you drop it down to 2.5kg, the goal isn't to stall. The goal is to continue to make linear gains as long as possible, if that means dropping the increase all the way down to 0.5kg every lift just to be able to increase it, then do that. What was heavy the workout before becomes not-so-heavy the next workout

I stopped adding +10lbs a lift a month ago for everything except deadlifts (Today was the end of week 8 for me).

Today my lifts were:
    Squat 295lbs (3x5)
    Military Press 150lbs (3x5)
    Power Cleans 220lbs (5x3)
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

The Chris is offline Junior Member
    Strength training is hard, but that's why it works. Use correct form and your joints should be fine.

kap
    kap is offline Member
    To answer another of your concerns:

Quote Originally Posted by grouchos_tash View Post
    Also another point, i added 35kg to my squat. Did i really get that much stronger or could i have probably done it before but was just scared of adding weight?
    I would guess some of both. Heavy Squats are "unknown territory" so it is common to begin tentatively. Secondly, many of the gains a beginner has are due to the Central Nervous System learning how to react. The CNS ramps-up pretty quickly, if I recall correctly.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast