Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Thread: sibylsybil's primal saga page

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member

Sibylsybil's Primal Saga

Primal Fuel
    Oh, man, going to give the journal another go.

About me/my reasons for going Primal:

I'm a 20 year old college student, raised in Connecticut, going to school in NYC, currently studying abroad in Glasgow, Scotland. My reasons for going Primal can be summarized thus: I've done everything that Conventional Wisdom told me is right, and healthy, and it seems clear that CW is wrong. I've eaten "healthy whole grains," avoided saturated fats, done buckets and buckets of cardio, and I've ended up physically and mentally exhausted, with a damaged body, stressed and unhappy. I've done everything that I "ought" to, and it's not working. So I've come to agree: CW is wrong. It's time for something different, and this is it.

So, more detail on my past experiences with conventional "wisdom": In the summer before senior year of high school, I started to become more health conscious, and modified my diet--to match the Conventional Wisdom ideal. I lost 5 lbs, from 125 to 120 (at 5'6'') I ran cross country at the time, but suffered from chronic shinsplints. I had serious spikes and crashes in energy, often leaving me shaky and unable to focus. Freshman year of college, I lost 6 more pounds first semester, eating 1200 calories or less each day, mostly carbohydrates. I was drained, devoting what energy I had to school work. Second semester, I started to eat more, binging occasionally, though I began exercising (cardio), and reached 135 lbs by summer (gaining disproportionately to my calorie intake). I took up running more intensely last summer, running four to six miles each day, and lost three lbs, eating a carb-heavy, low-calorie diet. However, I suffered a stress fracture in my left femur. Through the winter of 2009 and spring 2010, I continued this way of eating, substituting 30-45 minutes of daily elliptical for the running; in spring I began running again and suffered shin splints (I suspect a stress fracture in my right tibia).

I was doing Primal last summer, but fell off the wagon a bit--I was still generally eating whole foods, but eating grains when I went to restaurants or the cafeteria. I decided to give full-on primal another shot about 3 weeks ago, and am just getting my energy back. I'm doing a kettlebell class twice a week (which I LOVE), and walk a lot around the city-- probably at least five miles a day, but up to nine, at least according to my pedometer. I haven't ran more than a mile or two in about a month, due to the combination of stiffness from kettlebells and walking, as well as a general lack of energy on runs--I've tried, but my legs feel dead, probably due to the Primal transition.

I'm 5'6'', 130lbs, 20 years old. According to online calculators involving waist/hip/neck/arm measures, I've got about 22% bodyfat, which I'd like to reduce. I think that I'm relatively fit, but would like to add some upper body strength, and a bit of muscle.
    Last edited by sibylsybil; 03-31-2011 at 01:46 AM.
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

Food:
    Lunch will be at noon; today is my second IF. I plan on having some pan-cooked ground beef (maybe 6 oz?) with two eggs, sauteed mushrooms and baby spinach.
    At 3, I'm going to the Willow Tea Room for a friend's birthday, which I am terribly excited about. (it was designed by Charles Rennie Macintosh, and I adore art nouveau, so I'll be bringing a camera!) I'll probably just have tea, given the price of the food and the fact that I'll have just eaten.
    Dinner will be chicken cooked in a skillet, with shredded red cabbage with olive oil and lemon, and some gourmet vegetables (haaha): frozen "farmhouse style mixed vegetables," which equates to "peas and carrots with a few cauliflower florets".

In terms of numbers, this equals: Cals: 1254; Fat: 66 g; Carbs: 25 g; Fiber: 14 g; Protein: 129 g
    Aaaand calories look a bit low, so I might add if I feel hungry.

Fitness:
    I'll probably get at least 5 or 6 miles of walking in, as the tea room is just under 2 miles away, and I need to walk to the library, which is a decent trot away, too.

Also! Started the 100 Push Up Challenge as a way to remedy my somewhat dismal push-up ability. (http://hundredpushups.com/index.html) As prescribed, I did:

set 1 =2
    set 2 =3
    set 3 =3
    set 4 =2
    set 5 =6 (max)

Well, I ordered the Primal Blueprint book online, and it should arrive next Wednesday or so! The website lays out the Blueprint really well, but I think it'll be nice to have the actual book.

Today, I'm going thrift shopping with three friends at noon, but we're stopping at a kebab/chip shop first for lunch, so I'll probably get lamb kebab. I haven't ever been to a kebab shop before, so I don't know how much food it'll be, although it probably comes with chips or pita or something (which I can probably feed to a friend!). Anyway, I'm excited, because I always walk past kebab shops and smell the delicious roasting meat, but have not yet partaken. (they probably use verboten oils or something, but I'm not going to sweat it very much.) I have two hours before we meet for lunch, so I'll probably cook up two eggs for breakfast in a little while. Dinner will be either ground beef or chicken cooked up in a pan with spinach and mushrooms, with shredded red cabbage w/olive oil and lemon on the side.

Fitness:
    Well, it'll be lots of walking, as usual. I had considered going for a short run this morning, to test whether my legs had stopped being heavy and limp as noodles, but just didn't feel like it, especially as it is drizzling and dismal outdoors. However! I did do some incline pushups (4 sets of 10) and elevated jacknives (4 sets of 10).

Anyway, it's probably better that I didn't go for a run, since thrifting is going to be tiring. Oh, god, I just imagined Paris Hilton talking about how she shops to keep in shape. But really, digging through three or four thrift shops for a couple hours is enough to turn me into a zombie. I think it's an issue of overstimulation; too many colors and weird fabric dusts and smells, and then too many stores. Yeah, I'm not a power-shopper (am I missing some gene or does everyone feel like this?).

Plan for the day is: go to the gym for a 'total body conditioning' class, which is some lighter weights, lunges/squats and body-weight, plus some aerobic step-class junk. And yes, the class is generally 100% female. I shouldn't mock it because it makes me sore the next day. In any case, it's better than the 'zumba dance' class I tried, which gave me flashbacks to the 'dance' unit in middle school gym. (*shudder*) Anyway, I'll be missing kettlebells tomorrow because I have a friend coming up from London, staying for two days. Of course, my friend is a vegetarian. Low-fat, high fiber, does an hour of cardio most days of the week. Eats a ton of vegetables at least, which is good.

Planned food:
    lunch: pan-cooked beef patty with 2 eggs, spinach and mushrooms
    dinner: chicken breast, broccoli... will have to add something else, because that won't be enough food. eggs?

so, my friend's visit went pretty well; we went to a bunch of museums and had a lot of fun. I brought her to my kettlebell class as well! I think I must have a sadistic streak somewhere, because this is the third friend I've dragged to class with me, and I never tell them beforehand how incredibly sore they'll be the next day! It's good for them. and me! No workout yesterday, but I walked almost 10 miles, so didn't need a formal workout, thanks anyway!

I stayed Primal while my friend visited; we had basically the same food except she bought some fake chicken and I had real roasted chicken, and she eats granola bars for breakfast. Although I don't think I ate enough fat while she was here (she eats pretty low-fat) so I woke up this morning ready to chew a leg off a table. So even though I'd planned to IF until noon, I ate three eggs at 10.

Also! Got my Primal Blueprint book in the mail, and am a few chapters in. The biology nerd in me intensely enjoys it, and wants more science... I think I'll need to get Good Calories Bad Calories next, especially as that seems to be very popular on these boards!

breakfast: three eggs in butter
    lunch: leftover (overcooked) stir-fry beef, 6 oz roasted chicken meat (perfectly done!) with spinach. Green & Black 70% chocolate bar. (yeah, I don't do the whole 'one square' thing... unfortunately.)
    dinner: cauliflower, three eggs with salt and chili powder--I've never tried chili powder on eggs before, but it's definitely something I'll be doing again!
    = 1313 calories, 76 g fat, 27 g carbohydrates, 115 g protein

Workout:
    kettlebell class (8 kg bell, did swings, snatches, cleans, plus some press-ups--kicked my butt as usual!!) plus 8 miles walking, says my pedometer.

IF'd until noon-- I don't know whether IF is supposed to be "I'm not hungry, so I'm not going to eat" or "I'm a bit hungry but I can handle it"... for me, it was the second. I've been on the Primal WOE for more than a month now and still haven't magically "forgotten to eat" a meal. Though I'm not eating to satiety all the time, so that's probably why. Part of me wants to embrace the intuitive eating, but the other part of me is way too freaked out about the idea... also want to keep track of protein grams and carbs. Ugh. Give it time, I suppose. It seems like it would be so freeing not to think about them, but if I don't track, I think about it all that much more! gaaaah.

anyway:

lunch
    : 6 oz roasted chicken, half a carton of greek yogurt, spinach salad, 1/2 cucumber, 30 g Green and Black 85% chocolate
    dinner: 4 sausage links, spinach salad, steamed cauliflower, other 1/2 of greek yogurt carton

= 1658 calories; 114 g fat, 87g protein, 54 carbs

Exercise: walked 7 miles. will do some push-ups later.
    Last edited by sibylsybil; 02-24-2011 at 06:45 AM.

ugh, so that last post is a lie, because I ended up eating all of the yogurt at lunch... which is like 500 grams, plus more of the chocolate. Which is all fine, until I decided that it would be a good idea to eat half of a friend's pint of Phish Food. aaaaaaaand now I feel nauseous. ick. It's only 2300 calories or so, so I'm not too worried about that aspect, but I guess it's all the sugar and junk that's making me feel sick.

hah, I'm supposed to go out for drinks tonight, but I feel like curling up under a table right now. also, drinks + already feeling sick = bad. It's my birthday on Sunday, but Thursdays are student drink nights, meaning free drinks for me, paid for by my friends, if I go. Which now may be a bad thing. gaaaaaah. I have two and a half hours for my tummy to feel better. C'mon!

I'm pretty irritated at myself about the ice cream; it's probably the least-primal food I've had in over a month. And it's just plain dumb. whine whine whine, rant, moan.

BecomeYourDream is offline Senior Member
    Hey there! Looks like you are doing well! Who can't give in to some phish food every now and again? I am impressed that you can do this while in college and NYC with so many delicious non primal foods out there. I am 23 and used to live at 78th n 2nd and ate sooo much food last year, think LOTS of pizza, bagels, pita, etc. Power to ya and good luck! I will be following your journey!
    MY "GET AWESOMELY FIT AND HEALTHY" JOURNAL!

"Become Your Dream" - De La Vega

"“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi! New York is such a great place to be, especially (I think) when you're in your twenties! I'm actually in Glasgow, Scotland right now, although it's probably worse here in terms of non-primal foods--the deep fried Mars Bar was invented here, and fish and chips is the national takeaway dish! When I get back to NYC, however, I plan on making a full exploration of all the primal food available-- the middle eastern places in particular must have roast meat alongside their hommus, and the street vendors always have sizzling kebabs. I'm particularly interested in going down to Chinatown to see what unusual kinds of meat and veggies they're selling there--though I have a friend who speaks Chinese who I plan on dragging along!

That being said, I will probably never get over the smell of pizza crust baking to a delicious golden brown in a brick oven! I have several vegetarian friends, so I spent my freshman year eating a LOT of freshly baked pita and hommus! New York City is such a mecca for food, whether it's primal, or pizza, or pita, or all those gorgeous cupcakes in the shop windows. Thanks so much for commenting!

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast