Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: the book of meatabix. page 3

BecomeYourDream is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Good luck on the whole30!! I did the same thing except x10 - I ate TONS of candy, french toast, bread, crap like that and got super bloated right before starting my 30 day challenge. Maybe I will get up the nerve to post the pictures...anyway- the results now are SO great! I had giant addictions to nuts, and gum and a lot of things that you can over do easily. I am on day 18 and have lost a lot of those cravings (ok mayyyybe I still think about almond butter a good amount haha). My point is, if you can make it through 30 days eliminating a lot of things, you feel SO much more in control of what you put into your body and you just feel great in general. I had a major binge problem leading up to this, so if I can do it, you can definitely do it!!! (espcially when you are making food that looks so delicious!!) Good luck, ill be following!!
    MY "GET AWESOMELY FIT AND HEALTHY" JOURNAL!

"Become Your Dream" - De La Vega

"“The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.” - Muhammad Ali

bix
    bix is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BecomeYourDream View Post
    Good luck on the whole30!! I did the same thing except x10 - I ate TONS of candy, french toast, bread, crap like that and got super bloated right before starting my 30 day challenge. Maybe I will get up the nerve to post the pictures...anyway- the results now are SO great! I had giant addictions to nuts, and gum and a lot of things that you can over do easily. I am on day 18 and have lost a lot of those cravings (ok mayyyybe I still think about almond butter a good amount haha). My point is, if you can make it through 30 days eliminating a lot of things, you feel SO much more in control of what you put into your body and you just feel great in general. I had a major binge problem leading up to this, so if I can do it, you can definitely do it!!! (espcially when you are making food that looks so delicious!!) Good luck, ill be following!!
    aw, thanks, and whoa congrats on 18 days!!
    I agree that this is a great way to get control and perspective. I seem to do really good with rules, but I have a hard time enforcing them on my own, so having a set time and specific rules is easy. I have a huge problem with binging too, so I'm really excited to hear it's helped you in that respect. But I always know which foods will trigger them and still was torturing myself by buying those foods in the first place, ugh! Lately I have really learned to love cooking, but that was a huge trial-and-error process to begin with. If all else fails, I throw some avocado on it

and yeah, I am not doing nuts either, but I sure think about them anyway...in the not-so-distant past I've gone through entire jars of almond butter in a very short window of time, oops. Feeling lighter and so much more satisfied on good hearty food and no binges, it feels so great to say that too.

bix

whole30 day 4

I'm taking online classes and working full time, easily the stupidest decision I've ever made! I have way too much homework to finish tonight, by 4am. Admittedly, I have procrastinated. But even still, Friday due dates are the worst. So I'll try to make this relatively quick and then chug some coffee (I know, I know. grad school. do not ever fall for it.)

Yesterday:
    12 oz coffee
    chicken sausage link
    tuna with half an avocado, celery, and olives -- avocado is a fantastic replacement for mayo!!!
    and then there was this: my boyfriend wanted to go out to dinner. It's this restaurant that is all farm to table, house-cured meats and bacon; so I agreed, got a goat burger "slider" but it came with pastured goat cheese and pastured goat bacon. I ate everything but the bun. pastured goat cheese from a local farm, in my opinion and budget, is whole 30
    and I also had octopus wrapped in bacon.
    drool:
    030311..jpg

today:
    12oz coffee
    leftover beef stew
    1/2 an avocado
    a "cutie" mandarin - I've been avoiding fruit, but the sugar in this helped my mood and energy x8333039990293.2, seriously.
    chicken sausage link
    dinner was ground grassfed beef scrambled with onions, mushrooms,celery, & jalapeno; over shredded cauliflower cooked in coconut butter with jalapeno. GREAT SUCCESS. I was so hungry that I didn't get a picture!

I've been snacking on carrots, hard boiled eggs, and I plead the fifth to some awesome pork rinds we can get at the mexican grocery down the street. they're legit, no oil, just pig fat.

I don't know...I'm not going to get so picky about pork, or snacking on good things, I guess. I don't have a problem binging on pork or carrots or anything. I have problems with fruit, dairy, nuts...things I haven't touched in 4 days. The bottom line here is: I am satisfied. I am not binging. My little fitday pie graph looks great. If I can keep this up for thirty days (and I do feel very set on doing so!) I feel like I will have fixed myself.

bix
    I did not get to sleep until about 4:30, and then woke up at 9:30. I should be in bed now but...
    yeah.

I walked to the farmer's market and got some avocados, broccoli, duck eggs & quail eggs then to the mexican grocery and got a ton of produce for $11. Walked back home, ate one of the duck eggs, a sauasage, regular egg, some avocado, and shredded cauliflower with mushrooms and chayote squash.
    030511breakfast..jpg
    and that was brunchathon!

My goal for today was to get my extra room cleaned up at least enough so that I could work out in there. Done. Got rid of a lot of stuff, dug out the dumbbells, still have to put clothes away but I can see floor! lol

Spent a lot of the day hanging out with the cats in the back yard. It was close to 80 degrees today! Didn't get much homework done but did attempt pull ups - we'd moved the bar outside on the porch a while ago and I haven't been working on pull ups since. I can do three in a row, assisted. I think I was up to 8 in a row assisted at one point. 3 is not too terrible, I guess.

Snack was more avocado and some olives, later snack was 2 pieces of nitrite free canadian bacon. and..carrots.

Dinner was this recipe, but modified with coconut oil instead of olive, added jalapeno, and added cilantro. We also had more chayote and some broccoli. I think the trick to using coconut oil all the time is to use a lot of other spices - hardly could even tell it was coconut oil. I wanted to get lard at the mexican grocery but all of them were marked "packed on 2/19, use by 2/23" and we've had some sketchy food poisoning type issues from that place before, so noooo way did i want to try their rancid lard! Forgot to get celery so I snacked on carrots again, and while they're not making me binge, they're a lot of carbs in comparison with the rest of the day. Celery tomorrow!

I'm feeling kind of blah and realizing I just not only made it through a Saturday without binging but also cleaned the whole house, including the messy spare room of doom! Saturdays have traditionally been reserved for binging and then self loathing. I caught myself thinking that way and went into the now-clean-ish spare room and did some presses, deadlifts & squats with 40#. Feels infinitely better. Really really need to get some sleep now, though!

this made my day, too:
    C360_2011-03-05 11-&.jpg
    caminar más / walk more!

bix
    today:

7.8 miles of walking

hard boiled egg, some olives
    beef shawarma (just a whole plate of meat. it was fabulous.) + salad with olive oil
    leftover beef scramble with added cabbage, broccoli, carrots
    snacked on carrots, celery sundried tomato, & a chicken sausage

so I may not be doing perfectly evangelical whole30 (chicken sausage and I do great together) but I'm doing great with this and despite wanting to do nothing but eat a platter of chocolate chip cookies for a short time today, I kept it up. I really want to see how I feel (ok, and look) after the 30 days are up, and I've told enough people about this that I need to hold myself accountable for the whole duration. Today got a little hard, but I just kept telling the little whiny "but I want...." voice in my head that this is just 30 days; not even thirty more days at this point! can do this. will do this.

Sore from the lifting yesterday. Tired because I'm 7 hours behind on sleep. Going to go work on that now!

fable is offline Senior Member
    I think "cheating" on chicken sausage isn't exactly the worst thing in the world.. Seems like you're doing really good! I guess it's one week into the challenge now? Same for me (not so strict, though). Good luck!

sibylsybil is offline Senior Member
    the octopus wrapped in bacon looks delicious!

I killed my Whole 30 attempt last night when I ate a Mars Bar. Something about the Whole 30, rather than 'Primal', makes me feel restricted and sort of stressed, like 'am I going to mess this up?' (and then I did.). ugh. anyway, mini-vent.

Your weightlifitng routine sounds good, and your food looks delicious and nutritious! Seems like you're doing well!
    Life consists with wildness. The most alive is the wildest. (Thoreau)

bix
    Quote Originally Posted by fable View Post
    I think "cheating" on chicken sausage isn't exactly the worst thing in the world.. Seems like you're doing really good! I guess it's one week into the challenge now? Same for me (not so strict, though). Good luck!
    ohh, I know. One of the packs of sausage that I got has sugar in it, but no carbs, and I didn't notice it. I should probably just continue to "not notice it" and munch happily! thanks for the good luck - still going well, crossing my fingers!

Quote Originally Posted by sibylsybil View Post
    the octopus wrapped in bacon looks delicious!

I killed my Whole 30 attempt last night when I ate a Mars Bar. Something about the Whole 30, rather than 'Primal', makes me feel restricted and sort of stressed, like 'am I going to mess this up?' (and then I did.). ugh. anyway, mini-vent.

Your weightlifitng routine sounds good, and your food looks delicious and nutritious! Seems like you're doing well!
    sibyl, thanks! the bacon wrapped octopus - oh my god, I could eat it every night! I posted in your journal about the mars bar - don't be too hard on yourself! you're doing great

bix
    day 7. i want butter. i want nuts. i want to gorge on many things. to paraphrase robb wolf, cocaine and hookers would be a good time...doesn't mean it's a good thing to do!

almost 1/4 through, doesn't quite feel like it's been that long and surprisingly i'm not getting too sick of cooking. i do need to get some lard or palm oil - the coconut oil is, as predicted, wearing on me...spicy or not, it's still very coconut! i definitely think it's helping to have a lot of variety and try to do something at least a little different every night. i cannot speak highly enough about the CSA box, for this purpose.

i am still sore from lifting on saturday night! but since i walked so much yesterday, today is a rest day...which worked out very nicely because it was drizzling constantly all day - didn't make walking impossible but just very irritating.
    i actually got excited about the next time i do get to lift, while sitting at work today. it's a nice feeling.

food today was:
    24 oz coffee, 3 tbsp coconut milk, cinnamon
    chicken sausage! 1 link, maybe another for snack tonight
    can of tuna with half a small avocado, celery, boiled egg, a couple olives, and some lemon juice. plus some of the extra mahi mahi from a few nights ago.
    snacked on celery and carrots and sundried tomato and some pastrami
    pork chops and some veggies, with about 1/4 of a turnip:
    030711..jpg

the pork chop recipe is here

mildly non-whole30: used 1/2 coconut oil 1/2 bacon grease to cook dinner. pastrami has honey in it.
    i'm not going to obsess over it. or the carbs in the carrots. or the sundried tomato. not yet, anyway.

i'm feeling overwhelmed by information. my fault, read too much about too many different macronutrients and adrenal/thyroid issues. step two: keep eating whole foods, don't look back, just keep going, dammit!

nonetheless
    fitday says, average for the week:
    fat 52%
    protein 25%
    carbs 13%

i'm still confused about whether i should try for more fat or more protein, or whether i should just not care and see what happens. the only thing i'm worried about is i'm fairly certain i probably have some kind of metabolic derangement; i've done so much crap to this poor old bag of chub body...it just doesn't respond like it used to. so more reading and maybe i'll worry more about the math after the whole 30.

otherwise feeling pretty good and seeing some small changes in my body. it has really helped to have food packed for work, and not trying to rely on the convenience store food they peddle at work.

bix
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    work was good today. i make a lot of things up in my head, unintentionally...there's not much communication going on ever, so between communication, my head gets paranoid. everything is fine. so i guess i won't drop out of library school yet

today i had coffee with coconut milk (cannot stand coconut milk anymore.), sausage link and a little piece of leftover pork chop, salmon salad (same combo as yesterday's tuna, plus the leftover fish), pastrami, carrots & celery & sundried tomato.

when i got home i walked to the store to get eggs & pork rinds (sshhhhhhhhh they are just fat and salt! made right there in the store) promptly ate 600 calories of pork rinds. and right after that lifted weights. overhead presses, rows, squats, deadlifts; all 40#
    and then ...
    ...tonight was my brain telling me CARBS, WOMAN. or maybe just calories? there should also be sleep in here.
    for dinner i ate 5 eggs, 2 sausage links, and a bunch of cooked cabbage.
    AND THEN i ate a cherimoya, 3 clementines, some dried cherries and dried blueberries and coconut, and an apple. i have been going very low on the carbs and it just wasn't cutting it tonight.

not worried. a little bloaty. all of it was paleo, and my percentage of overall carbohydrates was still not ridiculous. i am not going to overlook the hour of walking and the half hour of weight lifting, these things need fueled.

aside from everything else my clothes are definitely fitting better and unless i'm seeing things, the amount of cellulite is slowly diminishing. i approve of this!

i'm reading about adrenals and going to cut out coffee again. it is the only thing that gets me through the morning and if my adrenals are shot, i should be replacing it with a meal and not a coffee-based IF. the coffee is not even close to palatable without cream, anyway!

i wish i had not messed up my body with the things i've done to it in the last decade or so but what's done is done, most if it is my fault, some of it was stress that i did not cause, and i'm very certain that doing this whole 30, even if i "eat too much," is a huge step in the right direction to fixing up the mess. i'm not going to give up just because it's slow progress, because giving up over slow progress is how i got here in the first place..

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast