Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tamari: is it really primal? page

SonyaJane is offline Senior Member

Tamari: is it really primal?

Primal Fuel
    I've been perusing the cookbook and noticed that there are quite a few recipes involving tamari. I see from the Blueprint book that fermented soy is better than other versions of soy (which should not be eaten) but is it truly primal? Would (Japanese?) Grok have eaten it? Is it bad in any way?

Thoughts welcome please as I'm going primal soon and am shopping in preparation

peril is offline Senior Member
    Soya sauce has both wheat and fermented soya. Tamari has the fermented soya but no wheat. So it is better and fermented legumes are better than unfermented legumes
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    I don't think Grok would have eaten it simply because he wouldn't have had access to it. However, if it's properly fermented and wheat-free--prepared as traditional cultures would, WAPF style--I think it's fine occasionally.

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Be sure to check the label... I think some tamari still has wheat in it.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Soya sauce has both wheat and fermented soya. Tamari has the fermented soya but no wheat. So it is better and fermented legumes are better than unfermented legumes
    Tamari is a class of Japanese soy sauce (they have different classes) which may or may not have wheat. From the Just Hungry blog (Japanese food blog):

"Tamari soy sauce. This is a pet peeve of mine, but I find it rather annoying when tamari is touted as a more 'real' soy sauce than regular soy sauce in some circles. Tamari literally means the dregs; it's the dark, somewhat viscous soy sauce at the bottom of the barrell. Tamari is traditionally only used as a dipping sauce.(Conversely, in Kyoto, which has arguably the most refined cuisine in all of Japan, they regard the regular dark soy sauce that is used in the rest of the country as an inferior product that contaminates the color and flavor of foods too much, and prefer a light colored soy sauce.)"

As others have said, fermentation takes care of the majority of anti-nutrients you'd worry about. Plus, the amount used is typically minimal, so it's not something that I would worry about.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I have seen some tamari with wheat.

If you want gluten free make sure you get a naturally brewed tamari and read the ingredients list. Eden organic has one.
    Last edited by O_O; 02-19-2011 at 07:32 AM.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Please use coconut aminos. THEY ROCK!
    Little Saiyan

eraserheadgirl Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    Please use coconut aminos. THEY ROCK!
    I second that!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    For me, this falls under the category: Primal eating isn't about food re-enactment.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    It's not really primal, but I can't see the harm in using it occasionally. I made roast pork yesterday and had it with some tamari and powdered ginger, nice!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast