Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Apple Cider & Hot Chocolate page

DiabetesCanKissMyButt is offline Senior Member

Primal Fuel

As the weather turns cooler, I start having hankerings for apple cide in particular. Last season, I looked high and low for a sugar free apple cider and never did find one. Does anyone have a recipe for a sugar free cider? What about hot chocolate?

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

I'll be interested in what people have to say about cider. I'll probably pick up a jug of the non-pasturized, minimally-processed cider from a local orchard and enjoy in limited quantities.

For hot chocolate, I've been meaning to try coconut milk with a bit of unsweetened chocolate melted into it (slow stirring on stovetop, like making cocoa the old-fashioned way).

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Yes, DCKMB, I agree with BarbeyGirl, although, again, the cider will have to be local. My Mennonite (distant) relatives have a festival up in Canada every year and they like to churn fresh cider. It's wonderful. They don't add anything to it or boil it either.

Not sure where to get such an unprocessed product if I wanted to now-a-days....

I also second the coconut milk cocoa.

nina_70 Guest

I know not everyone is into dairy here, but for a low-carb hot chocolate I go crazy for raw full cream (mixed with water) together w/ cacao, plus sweetener (e.g. stevia) as needed. If you want to make it more exotic you can add cinnamon, vanilla or any other spice/extract.

grandma is offline Member

ah, childhood memories. My parents had wild apple trees on the property. The tart, hard, little apples made good cider. Your friends had a press and we would spend a day making cider in the fall. Unpasteurized, filtered just enough to get the bees out (bees loved to hang around the press when it was in operation), it was great stuff. And a couple weeks later we would get a little drunk on the stuff that had turned

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

nina_70 Guest

Forgot to add...sometimes a pinch of chili powder (with cinnamon) in the chocolate is good too. Makes for more of a Mexican spiced chocolate.

Thanks for the tips. I am leaning toward a heavy whipping cream version of hot chocolate since I'm not a huge fan of coconut milk (blasphemy I know). Nina, do you mix equal parts of water with your cream for this?

Cider is gonna be tougher. Alpine makes a powdered version but the ingredients list does not look appetizing:

Ingredients: Maltodextrin, malic acid, apple juice solids, caramel color, aspartame, sodium citrate, tricalcium phosphate, ascorbic acid, natural and artificial flavors, spice extractive.

Here's an article on how to make your own cider: http://www.wikihow.com/Make-Apple-Cider

Not sure I have the time or inclination to go to the trouble though. I'm confused as to why anyone would pastuerize it though. Wouldn't it be the same as just eating apples? I mean it's coming from the same product and we don't pastuerize the fruit we eat. Maybe it's a naive question but I don't get it.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member

DCKMB, I believe the industry's excuse for pasturizing cider is that it's "necessary" to kill the bacteria, particularly since cider is often made from fallen apples and other rejects that can't be sold whole.

Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

Annika is offline Senior Member

Sugar free cider? I don't see how that would be possible, since all fruit juices are very high in sugar. Are there kinds of cider that actually have sugar added to them? I've never seen that - but then I live in Vermont, cider is a way of life here.

My blog: Pretty Good Paleo
    On Twitter: @NEKLocalvore

Yeah I was referring to "no sugar added." All the bottled ones I've ever seen have added sugar. But I'm on the left coast and maybe it's not so popular over here.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast