Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Question for vegetarians..or who used to be lol

Question for vegetarians..or who used to be lol

Shop Now
    I am just curious why you turned. I was pretty close to being a veg for a couple years. What made you switch?
    Disclaimer: I do not judge
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

The switch from omnivore to vegetarian was spurred by a spoiled hamburger when I was 10 or 11. The switch from vegetarian to omnivore was brought about when I realized how important protein was to my health, and how I'd never be able to get enough and feel good as a vegetarian, as my main source was yogurt and whey protein, which both bothered my stomach.

Quote Originally Posted by Enamel View Post
    The switch from omnivore to vegetarian was spurred by a spoiled hamburger when I was 10 or 11. The switch from vegetarian to omnivore was brought about when I realized how important protein was to my health, and how I'd never be able to get enough and feel good as a vegetarian, as my main source was yogurt and whey protein, which both bothered my stomach.
    Was it hard for you to switch back to omni? I would think the vegee world would say to eat lots of quinoa and beans and things like that. How long were you a veg? If you don`t feel like answering just tell me to go to hell lol

I started on vegetarianism when I got cats. Animals seem pretty smart and cool.

I switched after a buddy of mine, who is a fitness trainer, and I got into long long long debates. I'm an attorney, which means I can concede when I'm wrong and the other side has a point. Rather than try and hide in rhetoric, I gave his way a try and it worked much better.

Quote Originally Posted by pattyd View Post
    Was it hard for you to switch back to omni? I would think the vegee world would say to eat lots of quinoa and beans and things like that. How long were you a veg? If you don`t feel like answering just tell me to go to hell lol
    I was vegetarian for about 8 years, but surprisingly, going back to eating meat was really easy, and now I don't know what I'd do without it. I ate 5 burger patties in a day once and then had 4 the following day - beef is wonderful and I don't think I'll be sick of it anytime soon, mmm.

Switched to vegetarianism after several yoga practitioners pointed me to plant-based diets... I was looking for something, maybe a level of compassion, something spiritual, who knows. Factory farming and animal cruelty made me feel sick to my stomach. Then it became habit, and I had no intention of eating meat again. Lasted about 10 years.

Switched back due to health issues (migraines, IBS, unexplained dizziness, and more) and weight gain, despite calorie restriction/exercise. I felt weak and tired, suffered depression and anxiety, and was frustrated after trying to tweak my diet so many times. I was told to add quinoa and beans, as you mentioned; it did not help me at all. Oh, also I looked like death. Fat, pale, death.

Never had the urge or inclination to become a vegetarian. Probably would have when studying naturopathy from 2006 but was too well read on the benefits of low-carb to be swayed. If not for the internet I would have probably believed everything I was being taught.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen AlcesAlces View Post
    Switched to vegetarianism after several yoga practitioners pointed me to plant-based diets... I was looking for something, maybe a level of compassion, something spiritual, who knows. Factory farming and animal cruelty made me feel sick to my stomach. Then it became habit, and I had no intention of eating meat again. Lasted about 10 years.

Switched back due to health issues (migraines, IBS, unexplained dizziness, and more) and weight gain, despite calorie restriction/exercise. I felt weak and tired, suffered depression and anxiety, and was frustrated after trying to tweak my diet so many times. I was told to add quinoa and beans, as you mentioned; it did not help me at all. Oh, also I looked like death. Fat, pale, death.
    How long did it take for your health to turn around? I ate no meat or chicken but I did eat fish....I love sashimi! Basically for the same reasons as you. How has your thought process changed when it comes to the factory farming and not wanting to be a part of it? I`m still trying to figure this one out. I buy only grass fed beef and wild caught fish and I think that is helping me be able to eat meat. I love the taste, but the animal cruelty part just kills me.

I was vegetarian twice in my life--once from about 18 to mid-20s, then again for the past 8-9 years. I'm 48 now. I became a vegetarian because of factory farming practices, the questionable safety of most foods, etc. Also the CW of a low-fat diet and the "knowledge" that a vegetarian diet was the most healthful one you could eat. I returned to meat eating last month after reading Gary Taubes' research and doing some intense web-crawling, finding this site, and realizing that I had been duped all those years.

As a vegetarian I realized over and over again that I felt better when I ate more protein, but getting it was a chore and usually involved lots of dairy and/or soy, something I was reluctant to do. My weight was up, my energy was down and I generally felt like crap. Something had to give. I decided to try meat again, found a good, local source of clean meat, and as soon as I started upping my protein and fat, I felt much, much better.

Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by pattyd View Post
    How long did it take for your health to turn around? I ate no meat or chicken but I did eat fish....I love sashimi! Basically for the same reasons as you. How has your thought process changed when it comes to the factory farming and not wanting to be a part of it? I`m still trying to figure this one out. I buy only grass fed beef and wild caught fish and I think that is helping me be able to eat meat. I love the taste, but the animal cruelty part just kills me.
    I still have a hard time with factory farming (especially at restaurants), but accept that I cannot be perfect. I purchase local or grass-fed meat/wild seafood for home, but sometimes budget does get in the way. I just do the best I can and feel grateful. Maybe being vegetarian was good in that it made me more aware of where my food comes from, and I have a lot of gratitude and respect for the animals and plants that I eat. That's about the only good thing that came out of it for me. My health issues are still being sorted out. Almost immediately the depression/anxiety and dizziness improved, and the digestive issues & migraines lessened over time (this was a few years ago). I'm learning slowly: gluten was behind the IBS, high carbs caused the migraines and weight gain, soy & wheat may have contributed to the thyroid nonsense. Very difficult to get protein as a veg without high carbs, unless you eat soy, seitan and the like.

Funny, my first non-veg meal after the 10 years was sashimi... it was my gateway food to being an omnivore