Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fasting + Family/Social Eating? page

melsie is offline Junior Member

Fasting + Family/Social Eating?

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

I liked Mark's recent blog entry about intermittant fasting. I've done it in the past a few times and would really like to do it more.. but there is that whole social/family meal problem.

I might be able to skip breakfast, but that's about it. Lunch is eaten at work in a social setting and dinner with family. My question is - what kind of situations are you in that you are able to consistantly fast for 16-24+ hours? Does your family eat dinner together and you just skip.. or.. ? Do you 'hide' fasting? How are you making this work in your social and family life?

Thanks!

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    My work isn't social. I have to work with these people I sure as hell do not want to eat with them too. So if I wanted to I could skip breakfast and lunch.

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I never put fasting before family and friends. Food is part of most social settings and I don’t want to sacrifice those times.

I skip breakfast because I work in an office, so I eat at 12 or 1pm on my own or with coworkers, but mostly on my own. Generally I eat twice a day my last meal being at 8-9pm latest.

Saturdays and Sundays I typically eat breakfast and don’t do any fasting, because I’m either having breakfast with my girlfriend or my family, and like I said before, fasting isn’t worth missing out on opportunities to spend time with your loved ones. Fasting 5 days a week is enough for me anyway, I love a nice hearty breakfast on the weekends.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    I've been thinking about this, since I am going to visit my folks soon. I suspect I will just skip breakfast if we eat a later dinner.

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Depending on what time you eat dinner, 16 hour fasts every day via skipping breakfast are really easy. Then again, I have the option of eating whenever I want, so my dinners range from 3:30 to 6:00 pm. Nobody cares when I eat, so it's easy, but I can see how it'd be harder to pull off if you have friends and family that you'd like to share a meal with. Don't sweat it if you can't fast for a really long time - I've heard that most of the benefits are reaped at 16 hours and going beyond that doesn't really do much, but I'm no authority. Maybe you can fast on your days off?

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    I routinely skip breakfast. No issue. The 24 hour fast I recently did, I ate dinner and then didn't eat until dinner the next night...I just told DH that I wasn't eating lunch so he was on his own.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

beachrat is offline Senior Member
    It depends on the people. I don't have any problem having a club soda while other people eat. I would find it extremely tiresome if the people I was around couldn't shut up about the fact I'm not eating, but either they'd get over it (friends & family), or I'd stop food-socializing with them (colleagues).

It also depends on how ready you are to IF. If you're really doing WHEN (eating only When Hunger Ensues Naturally), it's a breeze to tell folks, "I'm not hungry now," along with whatever other social blah blah you want to add (but I'd love to go with ya'll to the restaurant, enjoy the conversation, continue our fellowship, etc.) or not. If others get weirded out or start up a bizarre peer-pressure approach, just repeat -- not defensively, only calmly -- "Well, I'm just not hungry."

Anyone who keeps pestering you after that deserves the quizzical stare, and/or calm, curious response: "Why on earth would I eat when I'm not hungry?"

Add a shrug if you feel like it!
    "If man made it, don't eat it." ..Jack LaLanne
    "It doesn't matter how beautiful your theory is, it doesn't matter how smart you are.
    If it doesn't agree with experiment, it's wrong." ..Richard Feynman

beachrat's primal journal

brahnamin is offline Senior Member
    Personally, I never have any real issues getting in a 16 hour fast. Stop eating at 8-9 the night before (I usually go to bet at 11) and resume eating at noon to 1pm the next day. You're just skipping breakfast.

Now, that said, I'm with iniQuity in that I don't generally let my fasts interfere with socializing with family. We do a pot luck breakfast at church every year on Easter Sunday. I bring some egg-cheese-sausage casserole monstrosity with enough good fat to drown you in flavor Nirvana and participate. No IF that day. Likewise, for Thanksgiving - my mother married a NC redneck, and he and his brothers roast a pig every Thanksgiving - a process that starts at 4am and includes the best fresh made sausage you ever shoveled past your lungs, followed by an entire henhouse worth of eggs scrambled and fried in real butter. No IF that day. Just piggy piggy goodness.

But the social events in my life that require the eating of breakfast are few and far between.

If you want to get a 20 hour fast in, skip lunch. Just have a cup of coffee or tea with your cow-orkers while they eat their lunch. They'll be curious and nosy the first time or two, but they'll get used to it. You really don't have to explain yourself to people. Just say, "This is all I want right now." You might have to listen to some concerned CW about how not eating just isn't good for you. Which is about when I start grinning and sipping - it doesn't pay to try to explain.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by brahnamin View Post
    my mother married a NC redneck, and he and his brothers roast a pig every Thanksgiving - a process that starts at 4am and includes the best fresh made sausage you ever shoveled past your lungs, followed by an entire henhouse worth of eggs scrambled and fried in real butter. No IF that day. Just piggy piggy goodness.
    Can I become an honourary family member for, oh I dunno... the last week or so of November? That sounds fucking awesome.
    "Oh, you wanted answers...yeah, sorry, I'm not so good with those. Uh, probably something to do with science or something..." -- canio6

August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

Sometimes blogging as The Primal Mind. (My unorthodox and filthy-mouthed journal is semi-retired at this point)

MightyAl is offline Senior Member
    The only time my IF becomes an issue is on weekends. My wife and daughter enjoy eating breakfast and I skip it. I should say I skip eating. Most of the time I cook them breakfast and while they eat I sit with them and have a cup of coffee. It really isn't a big deal for them. In social situations I do the same. Why do I need to be eating to socialize with others? Don't make it seem awkward and it won't be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast