Thread: Coconut oil....is refined a complete waste? page

runnergal is offline Senior Member

Coconut oil....is refined a complete waste?

I'm just going to state at this point the choice is between refined or none at all. Virgin coconut oil makes me gag. I hate the smell and the taste it gives to food and so does my entire family. I might be able to use it in baking or something, but since I am trying not to make treats right now....not much use there.

I had accidentally bought refined the first jar and we were fine with it.

Am I wasting my money buying organic refined as far as getting the benefits of coconut oil, or should I just as well use butter and bacon grease and forget the whole thing.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Phaedrus is offline Senior Member
    It's a great high-heat cooking oil.
    Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

keji is offline Junior Member
    I'm the same! Hate hate haaaaate the flavor of unrefined coconut oil... I've been using refined for the past month or so. I think Mark wrote a post about it not being optimal, but to be honest I'm too lazy to go looking for it

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I use refined only for the same reasons as you guys, just can’t stand the coconut taste on things that shouldn’t taste like coconut (eggs, steak, ugh) I didn’t know it was sub-standard but it’s the only oil I cook with so I’m going to happily assume I’m better off than using vegetable oil or random nut oils I don’t really trust.

I have extra virgin that I sometimes add to tea and I don’t mind it there but I find it makes my throat tickle, it’s not a reaction, it’s that it literally doesn’t dissolve fully or begins to harden as the tea cools so it can be kind of annoying. Nowadays I take a spoonful of extra virgin when I remember to instead of adding it to liquids.

I’m also sitting on a small tub of Nutiva coconut butter/oil but that one’s even worse in the hardening-when-cool department so I’ve only added it to sweet mashed potatoes when I was doing no dairy, I haven’t touched it in months.

Taken from Mark's post on coconut oil (http://www.marksdailyapple.com/cocon...alth-benefits/)

Refined coconut oil – which is generally what you’ll see in stores – is made from copra, the dried meat of the coconut. However, because the process of drying the coconut is somewhat unsanitary – it includes laying them out in the sun, putting them in a kiln, or smoking them – the oil is inedible, and is therefore required to undergo a refinement process that includes some combination of using high heat to deodorize the oil, filtering the oil through bleaching clays, adding sodium hydroxide to remove impurities and prolong shelf-life, or performing some kind of hydrogenation or partial-hydrogenation process. In industry terms refined coconut oil is RBD – refined, bleached, deodorized.
    My jar says that it's cold expeller pressed, though, so....?

bumppp

anyone?

Styrofoam Jones is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    OK, I'm not an expert, but here's how I understand it.

With refined, you miss out on most, if not all of the nutrients found in virgin, cold-pressed oil. Some funky stuff is sometimes done to it during the refining process as well, but I don't think it's too bad. With coconut oil, most of the health benefits seem to be derived from the fatty acid profile, which contains a high concentration of lauric acid. The lauric acid remains intact throughout the refining process, so you still get all the healing and antimicrobial benefits of that. The way I see it, just make sure it isn't hydrogenated and refined coconut oil is still an alright choice.