Thread: More on meat page

Eva Lution is offline Member

Question More on meat

Shop Now
    I have some questions about meat. I've been looking around and lurking on the forums since January, and I have seen references here to the importance of Omega 6/3 balance, inflammation, etc. I'm trying to lose weight (have lost 11 pounds since I started here 1/3/2011! Thanks!), and want to make sure I do this the right way.

I don't fear fat; PB is working. But meat eating is new to me. I have been cautiously dipping into the meat pool, choosing what I think is the cleanest meat a bit at a time with the help of the meat manager at my local food co-op. So far it is local pastured chicken, Alaskan salmon, and local bacon (Mmm...bacon. A recent NPR story conceded that bacon is the vegetarian "gateway meat." How true, how true.).

I was a vegetarian for 10+ years until I hit your site, so the switch has been a bit of a shock to my husband (still a veghead), and I think bringing in a steak might send him over the edge at this point, but I have access to clean meat (a very progressive small city in the midwest), so beef and pork are in my future, it's just a matter of when.

The questions then: What is the best meat? How much? How do Omegas play into this? What would an optimal weekly mix of meats, nuts, eggs, and dairy look like?

BTW, I have the book and I have read around here a lot, but a summary of meat and how to choose it for all of this (weight loss, Omegas, cleanliness, PB, etc.) might be helpful for someone who is meat-ignorant like me.

Thanks!

Eva

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    We don't eat morons around here. (that's what occurred to me as I read the title of this thread) The real morons are banana fed or synthetic processed hydrogenated vegetable fed as far as I can tell and we don't eat em.

Daemonized is offline Senior Member
    Congratulations on your weight loss and welcome. The advice I would off is that to keep a good omega balance (and because I like it) I eat a lot of fish. From your list though, nuts are a garnish or occasional treat.

Kaeden is offline Senior Member
    I think people over think it. Yeah, some grass fed local beef is likely better than factory farmed, but trying to sort out which meat is the super food is more trouble than it's worth.

I like how Michael Pollan put it best.

"Eat food, not too much, mostly plants."

Eat your serving of meat, then fill up on good green veggies. Done.

Phaedrus is offline Senior Member
    My wife is a former veg as well. We try to vary our menu to keep it interesting and rotate through beef, chicken, pork, fish, buffalo and any elk/venison we can get locally. Just keep getting it from your good source and experiment.
    Brad

late onset type1 diabetic 4-27-10 @ age 30

pattyd is offline Senior Member
    What about throwing fish oil or krill oil supplements into your daily routine?
    "Anxiety is a sign of spiritual insecurity"
    www.beachbodycoach.com/fatbusters

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    [QUOTE]I was a vegetarian for 10+ years until I hit your site, so the switch has been a bit of a shock to my husband (still a veghead), and I think bringing in a steak might send him over the edge at this point, but I have access to clean meat (a very progressive small city in the midwest), so beef and pork are in my future, it's just a matter of when. [QUOTE]
    I have visions of you out on the back porch, sneaking bacon ;>)...
    Last edited by Adrianag; 02-17-2011 at 09:58 AM.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member
    Grass-fed/grass-finished beef and lamb are the mainstay of my diet. Better Omega 3/Omega 6 balance than chicken. Organ meats!

An optimal mix is what works for you. You can see my FitDay journal for an idea of what I eat.

www.eatwild.com for local sources

Eva Lution is offline Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Pattyd: I do supplement with fish oil--Ultimate Omega (3 g/day). I was doing that before PB, even as a vegetarian. It was my vegetarian "cheat" for several reasons. I was already up on the need for more omega 3/6 balance and inflammation issues, as well as depression, have been a long-time concern.

Thanks for reminding me that I'm already doing a lot to keep things in balance. I sort of forgot that I was already doing something to help out with that. I've been doing it so long that I just toss them back as a regular part of my day and don't really consider why I'm doing it anymore. :-)