Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: recipe help please - trying lamb hearts!! page

denise is offline Senior Member

recipe help please - trying lamb hearts!!

Primal Fuel
    Its a big leap for me - but they were on offer, very cheap and if I hate them - not much wasted.

BUT I have no idea how to prepare or cook them??

I would, without advice, simply cut them up, fry in a pan to brown then simmer for a long time with onions and spices??

Any tried and tested ways of cooking them VERY welcome!

If the hearts are a success - next its LIVER!!

healthy11 is offline Senior Member
    Hi Denise... I am wondering the same thing. I bought a lamb mixture of ground lamb meat, liver, and heart. It rang up as pet food, but those are the only ingredients and it's pastured. Is that okay to eat? lol

I also bought liver and I'm scared to try it.

Quote Originally Posted by healthy11 View Post
    Hi Denise... I am wondering the same thing. I bought a lamb mixture of ground lamb meat, liver, and heart. It rang up as pet food, but those are the only ingredients and it's pastured. Is that okay to eat? lol

I also bought liver and I'm scared to try it.
    pet food!! LOL! Come to think of it though - we may just feed pets better than ourselves! Sounds edible to me!! I'd even know/have a clue how to cook that!!

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I saw some at the market...google anticuchos which are Peruvian beef heart kabobs, recipes should work for lamb.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Synchronicity! I'm just back from the butcher's with two lamb hearts. The butcher said to put them in a covered dish at a very low heat - 150 Celsius - for an hour or an hour and a half. She also prepared them for me, bless her, so I don't need to do that. If yours are whole, there will be stuff to do... I'm pretty vague as to exactly what...

Also brought lamb's liver (yum), bones for stock and some diced mutton. Husband enquires if I want to build my own sheep.

Quote Originally Posted by Hilary View Post
    Synchronicity! I'm just back from the butcher's with two lamb hearts. The butcher said to put them in a covered dish at a very low heat - 150 Celsius - for an hour or an hour and a half. She also prepared them for me, bless her, so I don't need to do that. If yours are whole, there will be stuff to do... I'm pretty vague as to exactly what...

Also brought lamb's liver (yum), bones for stock and some diced mutton. Husband enquires if I want to build my own sheep.
    LOL!

The preparing stuff is one worry. I think there might be bits I have to remove. I also don't want them to still look like hearts (at the risk of sounding wet). Next time I will ask the butcher to do that - if there is a next time

Quote Originally Posted by Adrianag View Post
    I saw some at the market...google anticuchos which are Peruvian beef heart kabobs, recipes should work for lamb.
    going to look that up, thank you

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Hey!
    I heart hearts
    I did a post on goose hearts recently - it'll be really nice with lamb hearts too I think. I've got a pic of where to trim on it. Bascially the tubes/veins all popping out of the top need to come off, you can do that without losing too much meat.
    http://carrotandrabbit.wordpress.com...ntine-special/

Look at the picture of the two whole hearts and you'll see some whiter tissue near the top. Think of this as the top of the heart, and chop off the gubbins above it. You might want to rinse it now in case there's a bit of gooey blood left in it. Or dice it up then give a quick rinse.
    Cook it either hot and fast, or slow and gentle.
    Enjoy

I still struggle with liver... I recommend a very alcoholic paté

PS - this one is an anticuchos recipe, I just realised it doesn't say that anywhere in the post!

Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    Hey!
    I heart hearts
    I did a post on goose hearts recently - it'll be really nice with lamb hearts too I think. I've got a pic of where to trim on it. Bascially the tubes/veins all popping out of the top need to come off, you can do that without losing too much meat.
    http://carrotandrabbit.wordpress.com...ntine-special/

Look at the picture of the two whole hearts and you'll see some whiter tissue near the top. Think of this as the top of the heart, and chop off the gubbins above it. You might want to rinse it now in case there's a bit of gooey blood left in it. Or dice it up then give a quick rinse.
    Cook it either hot and fast, or slow and gentle.
    Enjoy

I still struggle with liver... I recommend a very alcoholic paté

PS - this one is an anticuchos recipe, I just realised it doesn't say that anywhere in the post!
    many thanks!! I have looked online too but all the recipes seem to have ingredients I can't/won't add. Reckon diced up, browned and then slow cooked with veggies will be my way this time, see if I like the flavour (not big on offal and no idea what taste to expect. As long as its not like kidneys. Cannot bear that flavour at all!!!)

ElaineC is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I cooked beef heart again last night, delicious again. Chopped up onion, salt n pepper, some chipotle chili powder, and a can of tomatos on the top. I put maybe a half inch of water in the pan, and cooked it in the oven at 250F until it smelled too good to ignore - about 2 1/2 hours. Mmmm!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast