Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Bad things page

Clymb is offline Senior Member

Bad things

Alcohol, caffeine, smoking...is there a way to make these things, idk, LESS fun, so that I stop abusing them so much? I'm not necessarily addicted to any of them but I still feel a strong pull towards them. I'm actually a little, er...not here right now, if you know what I mean, so any nutrition advice would be appreciated. Hope this makes sense?

Dave_o is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    smoking...I'm actually a little, er...not here right now, if you know what I mean,
    Yup...(cough)

*high five*

Funkadelic Flash is offline Senior Member
    Caffeine? Not a big deal unless you have some serious adrenal issues, and I don't. So tea me.

Alcohol? I'll have a glass of wine or two on occasion, but I don't like to be a blumbering idiot so I don't get drunk any more. Pour me a glass.

Smoking? I'm assuming you're not talking ciggarettes (who thinks those are fun?). Puff, puff, pass.

These along with an occasional trip to outer space with the help of my friends the Lucy, Boomers, and a few select others make my life much more enjoyable. As long as you're not getting ripped/stoned/drunk/buzzed/whatever to a point where it's affecting your ability to do all of the things you want in your life, I say alter your reality. Take a trip. Do something fun. I know Grok sure as hell did!

Saoirse is offline Senior Member
    what draws you to them? sometimes we want things because we know we shouldn't have them.

spakesneaker is offline Senior Member
    For me, any alcohol --> poor sleep --> sleep-deprived and depressed --> more likely to binge on sugar and sabotage all the healthy progress I've been making. That's been enough for me to cut back on the alcohol a lot... most of my friends don't drink that often or that much so it hasn't been a problem, but I've had to make a conscious decision to not go out/hang out as much with those who do drink a shit-ton, and have at least told them that I can't drink beer because of gluten.

Caffeine is something I only drink at work and only on occasion, but I'm trying to make it none now because it --> digestive issues (ya know what I mean) --> flush out the iron and other nutrients I'm trying to absorb to regrow hair.

I've drastically cut down on how much 'smoking' I do too because I tend to get very paranoid and am more likely to binge on crap --> sabotage all my healthy progress. Also whenever it happens I end up hating the company I'm with.

If you have long-term health goals that you want to accomplish, think about those and acknowledge that what you're about to do will be a setback for those. Not ALL the time, but definitely at those times when you know that it's unhealthy and you're doing it for the wrong reasons. I guess it's more of a negative feedback mechanism, but hey, it eventually becomes a habit and works. And if you're accomplishing those goals and ingesting these bad things without much of a setback, well, I don't really see any problem with it as long as you don't go overboard.

Well I'm sober now and not really sure why I wrote caffeine up there, but anyways...

My drinking affects my life--my boyfriend says it stresses him out and is afraid I'll take it too far. That was my main point, I think...lol. And I smoke a bunch of different things, though I'm not really concerned about the herbal remedies

And Saoirse--Not sure why I'm drawn to them, I suppose because they give that reality escape? My friends are just concerned because I drink alone, it's not a social thing. I also don't get hangovers or any ill effects, so that makes it easier to do often.

Quote Originally Posted by Dave_o View Post
    Yup...(cough)

*high five*
    Awesome bro. Totally returning the high five. Lol.

canio6 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Clymb View Post
    My friends are just concerned because I drink alone, it's not a social thing.
    Is it drinking alone in a "well, my BF isn't here but a glass of wine would be nice" sense or a "let me hide in the closet and down this 5th of Jack while no one is watching" way?

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Is it drinking alone in a "well, my BF isn't here but a glass of wine would be nice" sense or a "let me hide in the closet and down this 5th of Jack while no one is watching" way?
    Unfortunately it is much closer to the latter--I'm guessing that doesn't fit in with the primal lifestyle? Lol. I should probably stop, I never used to drink and was just fine! Maybe I should just stick with the herbal remedies, like I was saying.

AndreaReina is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    How much do you drink? Are we talking about a glass of wine, or a similar volume of spirits? I try to avoid altering my reality, so I don't get drunk often and don't smoke. That being said if it's an escape you're looking for there are plenty of alternatives: read a book, go out for a walk, hit the wall, etc. Those will allow you to escape without any potentially destructive behavior, however you should probably figure out why you want to escape and also work on that, otherwise you're just replacing one habit with another and not really addressing the core issue.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast