Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lurking no more! page

bix
    bix is offline Senior Member

Wink lurking no more!

Primal Fuel
    hello!

Let me see if I can do this succinctly and briefly (ha!)

I'm 28, live in San Diego, and I work in the up and coming, action packed, high-revenue market of.....a state university library. I'm in the middle of a library/info science master's degree program and still work full time. Kind of having regrets about both (fat gobs of toxic stress!), but that's another post.

I just read the book and have been eating primal for about a month. I'm also listening to a lot of Robb Wolf's paleo podcasts and about halfway through his book. I've been reading about food and fitness forever - I did Atkins at 15 after many years of being an inactive fat kid in Pittsburgh, but couldn't hang with Veggies Are Mostly Bad; then was college in California (...full blown barfing starving eating disorder. yes. barf. I'm just as revolted as you about this.) I found stumptuous.com and began eating and living in manner very very close to primal/paleo with a hint of underfed, but it didn't have a catch phrase and the internets weren't so vast at that point (2002). I reached an awesome state of leanness but...since then that "real life" "grown up" "more dysfunctional relationship drama than you can shake a fish at" crap has gotten in the way for a few years.

I tried to go vegan at one point to......for.....because....eh, I don't remember. I was drunk? It went against everything I had ever learned about food! ("But bix, the animals!") It ended badly after two years - either lupus or rheumatoid arthritis or just plain severe gluten intolerance - all my HMO doc was willing to do was write an rx for vicodin and tell me to walk it off. My feet were so swollen that I could not walk. Unamused, I decided it must have been something about the veganism. A huge pile of books and over two years later I've de-evolved back into avoiding grains and sugar, gluten and soy, and have been consuming mass quantities of the best meat, fat, and veggies I can get my paws on.

succinctly and briefly? not gonna happen!

It has been reassuring but sad to read about other people who have suffered from weird autoimmune problems from vegetarian diets. I knew I never felt "right" eating tons of legumes and grains and soy (nor did I feel right that most of this stuff came in boxes and was grown in China) but the vegans; they will not be swayed and they will swear you are just doing it wrong. Somehow I started to think that I would not need to exercise: if I just ate in a morally superior way, I would have the brittle starved body of a peta model. (this is also probably related to the millions of brain cells that I lost as a vegan, and will probably never ever get back again).

My biggest thing to tackle right now is to stop making excuses and LIFT!!!
    I do a lot of walking and bicycling, and occasional sprinting towards the bus I'm about to miss. I sit all day at work, but am on the top floor and try to use the restroom on the 1st floor and go up those dang stairs two at a time every chance I get. I have a whole arsenal of weights, but I'm quite admittedly just lazy. I've been lurking for about a month on here and cannot believe how awesome this community is, so it's time to put myself out here to be accountable and part of something bigger. I know I just need to get rolling with it for a good month or two, and then I won't be able to stop. I want to be that chick that nobody messes with and not the chubby librarian
    (oh, and, health, longevity, blah blah blah)

so, glad to be here, and hope to find and provide some great support!

batty is offline Senior Member
    krista just rocks so hard. i would like to be her when i grow up.

welcome! you will find a lotta cool people here.

HANDS OFF MY BACON :: my primal journal

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome to the boards
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

TigerLily is offline Senior Member
    ALL HAIL! This former vegetarian with a newly diagnosed autoimmune disease welcomes you.
    "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food." -- Hippocrates

NeoBerserker is offline Senior Member
    Lol i think i was lurking this place for even longer than you i finally started posting a week or so ago. Welcome.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    I'm really curious about your forum name. Bix is a tiny village in the UK about 1 mile from where I grew up!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

Sally is offline Member
    welcome welcome, Bix!

The forum is awesome - I have been falling into my normal trap (which I even blogged about to remind myself of later) that almost 2 months in, I feel really great --- and the temptation starts, since I feel so good, to just cheat "a little". So I'm back reading (never really left this time) more often, to keep myself inspired. It seems like a great community here, and definitely keeps you going over the little speedbumps.
    ***if you fall down seven times, get up eight.***

bix
    Holy welcomes! Thanks everyone!!! I like this place already.

batty, thanks! I've been stalking (did I say stalking...reading! reading!) your journal on here. still not done reading, but you are extraordinarily inspirational and I want to be you when I grow up. Or maybe some sort of krista-batty megatron, that would certainly be acceptable. um. yes. hello!

Tigerlily - sucks to autoimmune disease!! I'm sorry to hear it and hope going primal is helping. it took a long time for my body to start resembling normal. lots of fish oil, lots of bone broth, lots of good wholesome stuff my grandma always told me to eat anyway! always glad to see vegetarians breaking free from the vegecult

neoBerserker - berserk! there is a whole lot of stuff to lurk through on this site, though, I feel like I could read everything for a hundred million years, but then there would be more daily blog posts and it would still never end. this is a good thing, I think.

lizch - people called me "weeta" and then "weetabix" in high school (first name is Rita), and then I just liked "bix" better. I've decided, now, that bix must absolutely be short for "meatabix." I've never heard of Bix the town, must research!

Sally, thanks! Any little bit of community and accountability does a lot for me. Funny, most of my "cheats" happen when I'm feeling good too...I need to channel my "oh my god why did I eat that I feel like crap!" mindset next time I'm feeling good, lol! this seems like a great place to be - there is always someone doing something amazing.

some sort of closing, and moar thanks,
    -bix

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Ah, so there's still a UK connection! Weetabix is rather a British breakfast, right?

Here's Bix on a map: http://maps.google.com/maps?hl=en&ba...ed=0CBYQ8gEwAA

I grew up in Middle Assendon and went to school in Nettlebed, so the school bus drove past Bix every day. Just so funny to see that name for the first time in probably 25 years!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

bix
    PrimalCon New York
    Liz, I knew about the cereal (yucky and bland, btw!) but had no idea it was a town, pretty neat!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast