Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Chia Seeds page

HonuRacer is offline Senior Member

Chia Seeds

Primal Fuel
    My not-so-fun experience with Chia seeds. In another post I asked if toasted flax was primal and/or ok to consume. I used to like eating it a few years ago before the IBS really started to kick in. It's important to note that I have a pretty serious case of IBS. Some respondents suggested that I drop the flax and choose Chia instead. So I tried some. Yesterday. 1 tsp.

Aside from the lump of glue it produced, and the taste of cardboard?

I did not sleep last night. At all. I was in such pain. I thought I would surely DIE. Gas. It felt like my gut was churning butter.

It's now nearly 24 hours later and I'm just starting to feel better. And yes, it was the Chia seeds, with 100% certainty.

There is no way that Chia seeds can be good for people with IBS. Maybe not all people with IBS, but certainly not me. Not only that, now I'm stuck with a $12 bag of organic Chia seeds. I have a Chia frog... but. If I was to sprout the seeds, cut off the seed ends and use the sprouts in salads, would that still be acceptable? I haven't read any posts about sprouts. Like alfalfa or garlic sprouts. I guess I wouldn't get the same benefit as I 'should' from the seed itself, but at least there has to be some benefit to eating the sprouts. Yes/No? I'd hate to use the seeds solely on the frog. That would be a pretty stylin' frog with expensive, organic Chia fur!

Enamel is offline Senior Member
    Aww man, sorry they have that effect on you. I had them in a type of cereal called chia goodness, and I loved them and didn't have any problems, but if I had an experience as bad as you did, I don't think I'd even want to risk eating the sprouts. It might be worth a shot if you get some solid info on it, but I'd be way too nervous, haha.

canadianwoman is offline Senior Member
    Flax seeds...ground or not...do the same thing to me so I cannot touch them. Strangely I have no trouble with sunflower or pumpkin seeds.

O_O
    O_O is offline Senior Member
    I've had chia seeds and flax and had no issue.

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Chia seeds don't make me ill, but the chocolate coconut pudding I made with them is my most disgusting "primal" experiment to date. Truly inedible, which for something containing chocolate and coconut milk is quite remarkable.

Maybe that's why I'm finding it easy not to do any primal baking now?!!
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

RobbieC is offline Member
    No problem with Chia seeds here either. I usually mix a tbs of them into my occasional morning protein shake (whey, 2 eggs, water, a little cocount milk, and chia seeds).
    Striving to live a life extraordinary.

Primalvore is offline Senior Member
    Whattt? That sucks . I eat at least 1.5-2 TB of Salba a day. What type of IBS do you have? Because I have IBS-C (or something like it) and it's probably helped me out more than anything else I've taken!

I hope you find something that agrees with your digestive tract

"The Way We Do Anything Is the Way We Do Everything"
    ~ Kancho Cameron Shayne

Blog - The Primal Pantry
    My Leangains/Primal Lifestyle Challenge to begin 2/7/11!
    Check out the Blog for Daily Progress

I have the IBS that alternates, but mostly on the loose side. I'm going to try sprouting them. If I still get bad results I'll decorate my Chia Frog with them...

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    i throw my chia seeds in water for my sports drink, let them soak for a few hours before hand so they're loaded with water so they hydrate instead of dehydrate
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've started my ChiaFrog with the seeds to sprout... will share how that works out.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast