Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glucosamine, is the jury still out? page

Dave_o is offline Senior Member

Glucosamine, is the jury still out?

Shop Now
    Some studies are for, some against, some claim anecdotal evidence, others say its just the placebo effect.
    If you use it - or indeed stopped using it, what did you think?

By the same token, if you eat a your marrow or gnaw away at chicken bones and tendons, ever had any joint or arthritis issues?

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    From individual experience, I have used it on multiple older dogs with joint issues from various causes....all have done seriously better on it rather then not. I tend to put them on something new and not change ANY other factor so I can narrow down what works best. Its not magical, and our older dogs still have some stability and muscle loss, but a limp while running will completely disappear while on supplements for example.

Husband who has knee issues from playing baseball catcher and such reports major differences if he takes his glucosamine/msm regularly versus not. He climbs 14'ers while hunting/guiding for months during the summer and fall each year.

So just our personal experience.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    gelatin works well too

Sugarisatoxin is offline Junior Member
    50% reduction in pain after 7 days of 4 pills a day. I am 65 and off ibuprofen.

Quote Originally Posted by Meadow View Post
    From individual experience, I have used it on multiple older dogs with joint issues from various causes....all have done seriously better on it rather then not. .
    Funnily enough, that's why I was asking. One of our dogs is a Lab who's getting a little long in the tooth, he's hyper, and I keep him slim, so no signs of trouble - but with labs, its always in the post.

Good to see some folk are having positive results also, if - ha -when I start to go creaky in the knees, I might give it a shot.

Quote Originally Posted by MalPaz View Post
    gelatin works well too
    What kind of gelatin?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I have tried it several times. Never noticed any improvement.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Jen AlcesAlces is offline Senior Member
    I'm about 2 weeks into a trial run myself. Creaky knees still, but I promised to give it at least 6 weeks.

Our dog is also on the trial; she's a 7 year old blue heeler who is occasionally stiff in the joints after long hikes/runs. No change yet, but hoping for the best.

vh67 is offline Senior Member
    I have two labs and I give it to them. My older one, who is 11, has pretty bad arthritis in her front legs. I noticed an improvement in her gait about 10 days after we started giving it to her. Of course, I started her on doggie NSAIDs and pain meds at the same time. There was improvement within 24 hours of beginning the NSAIDs and then another noticeable improvement at 10 days. I did not notice any difference in my younger dog but he does not have arthritis yet. Hoping to delay it for him.

I used to have arthritis in my knees and did not really notice any difference. However, my arthritis was so advanced I had a double knee replacement last year at 43. I think it may have helped had the arthritis not been so advanced by the time I tried it.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    I tried it for 3 months with no improvement in my aching hips. My sports med doc says resesrch indicates if it's going to help it will do so in 3 months or less. Also beware of a lot of crappy product on the market. Consumer Reports did an evaluaion and has a list of the good brands. I'm sure it's floating around the web.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast