Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eating pork. page

Supsurf is offline Member

Eating pork.

Primal Fuel
    I know it's is fair to say that most of us here love our meat and many (including me) buy it grass fed.

What about pork? I buy uncured bacon and try to eat pork from whole foods because (they say) is more natural and raised in family farms but knowing how fresh or how old the meat is, is a little hard.

The other day i drove to downtown (Los Angeles) to visit a asian place where they kill the animals in the back, mostly chicken but they have rabbit and fresh (dead and live) fish, as i'm walking around to see what they have, i see a meat counter filled with pork pieces and it looks like they do the butchering right there in the back as well since the pieces looked like what a piece of animal should look like (an animal), not the square or rectangular piece of meat that looks like a brick garnished with a fake plastic leaf we normally see at the supermarket.

I tied to ask the man behind the counter if they do all the processing in the back and after about a minute trying to talk to him, all i could get is the traditional nod and yeah yeah, that when dealing with people who do not speak the same language usually translates into "yes, i don't really understand what you're saying but i'll nod in agreement and hopefully that will be enough for you" :-)

I brought home a couple of rabbits since this is why i went there in the first place and a couple of beautiful looking chunks of pork butt and belly.

Anyway, i'm getting carried away here...my question is, how do you guys handle pork? How often do you eat it? How about that delicious fat? is a freshly butchered pig better than regular market pig is you do not know how either was raised? How do you know if the trader Joe's or whole foods bacon was raised properly?

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    I am like you, I try to eat uncured bacon whenever I find it. Otherwise, I just buy pork straight from the grocer. I am sure it's not as healthy as grassfed or pastured, but it tastes so good. I probably eat pork at least twice per week. In fact, just finished some smothered pork shoulder steaks for dinner that melt in your mouth.

amberlee is offline Senior Member
    there is a great 'pulled pork' recipe on this site

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    I generally buy Niman Ranch pork at Trader Joe's.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Dragonfly is offline Senior Member

Balance is offline Senior Member
    I am having pork chops tonight bought from Whole Foods, they had a pretty good deal on them so I had to buy them. I usually have some sort of pork once or twice per week.
    "If man made it, don't eat it" - Jack Lallane

People say I am on a "crazy" diet. What is so crazy about eating veggies, fruits, seafood and organ meats? Just because I don't eat whole wheat and processed food doesn't make my diet "crazy". Maybe everyone else with a SAD are the "crazy" ones for putting that junk in their system.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Pork is a regular part of my diet. I have a great source for wild boar so I eat quite a bit of it. I think this farm you visited is probably much better/safer than anything you'll find in a store. I'd buy it.

I did just use my last package of boar bacon (very sad, very sad) and must find some good quality bacon until I have another one butchered.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    eatin cheap pork from the grocery store now...haha it definitely beats cheap chicken by a long shot!

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    I'm weird with pork.
    I "binge" on it for a couple of weeks, then the thought of it turns my stomach for a few months!

Anyhow, I have a kind of sliding scale of crapness.
    I won't touch imported pork (usually Danish) - for animal welfare reasons. And a factory pig is not healthy for us.
    "Normal" British pork - probably not fantastic, but I'm reassured by some basic welfare standards.
    "Outdoor bred" British pork - at least has seen the outside world. There is some very sketchy ground over what "outdoor" actually means, legally.
    Organic - I can only find as bacon.
    Straight from farm - soooo expensive!! But considering it next time I have freezer space.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NorthernMonkeyGirl View Post
    I'm weird with pork.
    I "binge" on it for a couple of weeks, then the thought of it turns my stomach for a few months!

Anyhow, I have a kind of sliding scale of crapness.
    I won't touch imported pork (usually Danish) - for animal welfare reasons. And a factory pig is not healthy for us.
    "Normal" British pork - probably not fantastic, but I'm reassured by some basic welfare standards.
    "Outdoor bred" British pork - at least has seen the outside world. There is some very sketchy ground over what "outdoor" actually means, legally.
    Organic - I can only find as bacon.
    Straight from farm - soooo expensive!! But considering it next time I have freezer space.
    I get organic pork from our local organic free range pig farm here in Sussex - only I don't go to the farm, I go to the market and it is cheaper there! Also an excellent local butcher goes to the market too and I can usually buy a great big joint of free range pork at a good price - last week, 8 lb weight, 12.00 cost. Can't do much better than that - have you checked out your local markets??

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast