Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wimpy woman does Tabata! page

duckmama is offline Senior Member

Wimpy woman does Tabata!

Ok, so not entirely wimpy. I'm moderately fit for a 40-something woman although I'm still trying to shed those last 10 or 15 pounds. I've been shifting my workouts to be more primal in the past few weeks and decided it was time to add sprinting. After reading many different opinions, I decided to try tabata for my sprints, mainly because it's quick and you're done.

I got a tabata ap for my iPhone and hit my elliptical. And I made it! Ok, so I now feel like I've been inhaling bleach for 4 minutes straight - lungs and windpipe are raw! But hopefully that means I did it right. (?)

Any other tabata believers out there? I won't say "fans" because I'm not sure it's possible to be a fan of tabata. Anybody think it's just a bunch of BS?

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by duckmama View Post
    Any other tabata believers out there? I won't say "fans" because I'm not sure it's possible to be a fan of tabata. Anybody think it's just a bunch of BS?
    First you have to properly define Tabata:

The exhaustive intermittent training consisted of seven to eight sets of 20-s exercise at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max with a 10-s rest between each bout.

First, are you certain you were at 170% of VO2max? My understanding is that only the top level elite athletes can even get close to 170% of VO2max.

Secondly, what does it mean to be 170% of VO2max? What is VO2max?

"the highest rate of oxygen consumption attainable during maximal or exhaustive exercise"

How does one consume more than 100%? 170% of VO2max sounds like that activity or exercise has gone anaerobic to me. If that's indeed the case, there must be more effective ways to exercise anaerobically.
    Last edited by js290; 02-16-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    First you have to properly define Tabata:

The exhaustive intermittent training consisted of seven to eight sets of 20-s exercise at an intensity of about 170% of VO2max with a 10-s rest between each bout.

First, are you certain you were at 170% of VO2max? My understanding is that only the top level elite athletes can even get close to 170% of VO2max.

Secondly, what does it mean to be 170% of VO2max? What is VO2max?

"the highest rate of oxygen consumption attainable during maximal or exhaustive exercise"

How does one consume more than 100%? 170% of VO2max sounds like that activity or exercise has gone anaerobic to me. If that's indeed the case, there must be more effective ways to exercise anaerobically.
    Wow. Well, I certainly wasn't getting that technical or scientific about it. I was basing my workout on the Tabata sprints as described in the PB Fitness e-book and in Mark's blog post http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-are-tabata-sprints/ I thought it would be a good way to do some sprinting in a short amount of time, but if I can't do it technically and scientifically, maybe I shouldn't even bother.

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Ok, so not entirely wimpy. I'm moderately fit for a 40-something woman although I'm still trying to shed those last 10 or 15 pounds. I've been shifting my workouts to be more primal in the past few weeks and decided it was time to add sprinting. After reading many different opinions, I decided to try tabata for my sprints, mainly because it's quick and you're done.

I got a tabata ap for my iPhone and hit my elliptical. And I made it! Ok, so I now feel like I've been inhaling bleach for 4 minutes straight - lungs and windpipe are raw! But hopefully that means I did it right. (?)

Because it's winter here and winters suck, I've been doing (trying to do) Tabata "sprints" using my recumbent bike. It kinda works, but not as much as I'd like.

By the way, what iPhone app are you using? That sounds interesting.

Oh, and no fucking clue what js290 was on about. Sprints are about pushing yourself to max for short bursts. You did that. You win. Carry on! There need not be a special formula. It's all about: Short bursts at max effort. Stop. Repeat as intervals for 3-7 min. Feel like collapsing? Well done.
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Abu Reena is offline Senior Member
    Duckmama:

Ignore the haters. Go you! In my mind, a Tabata sprint is basically just going balls to the wall all out for the appropriate time interval. If you feel like you are breathing bleach, you are doing it right. Now, go puke, recover, and get back to it in a week or so.

runnergal is offline Senior Member
    Just to be clear was that 170% of VO2max? I'm getting a bit old and I have trouble reading tiny fonts.
    MTA: because it is rare I dont have more to say

"When I got too tired to run anymore I just pretended I wasnt tired and kept running anyway" - my daughter Age 7

Wow. Well, I certainly wasn't getting that technical or scientific about it. I was basing my workout on the Tabata sprints as described in the PB Fitness e-book and in Mark's blog post http://www.marksdailyapple.com/what-are-tabata-sprints/ I thought it would be a good way to do some sprinting in a short amount of time, but if I can't do it technically and scientifically, maybe I shouldn't even bother.
    Well, my point is most people use the term Tabata without knowing what it is. Most think it's just the duty-cycle of 20 seconds on and 10 seconds off for 8 periods. But, Tabata was very clear in the abstract of his paper that the benefits required subjects to be at 170% of VO2max. The obvious question that follows is what does 170% of VO2max even mean?

Quote Originally Posted by Abu Reena View Post
    In my mind, a Tabata sprint is basically just going balls to the wall all out for the appropriate time interval. If you feel like you are breathing bleach, you are doing it right.
    My point exactly on misunderstanding Tabata...

Patrick - I downloaded the "Tabata Timer" by KATR Software. It was only 99 cents. There were several to choose from in the ap store - a couple that were free. I liked the reviews of this one, and it worked well. I knew the last thing I wanted to be doing was staring at my watch or the timer on the treadmill, and this makes it easy. I can still listen to my music at the same time too.

The one thing about Tabata, in spite of feeling like my lungs were on fire and being totally wiped when I was finished, my CW brain says "you need to work out longer than 4 minutes!" (Well more like about 10 minutes with warm up & cool down). Not that I could go longer than 4 minutes on Tabata but my brain is still nagging...

Patrick is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by js290 View Post
    But, Tabata was very clear in the abstract of his paper that the benefits required subjects to be at 170% of VO2max.
    I think most people freely interchange Tabata for interval-whatevers. I don't actually see how someone can measure being at 170% VO2max without specialized equipment (or at least spending money to do it). Personally, I don't see myself being plugged into machines a la Dolf Lundren in Rocky IV when I do sprints. Besides, the issue was more about your free use of massive letters as if to yell numbers at people from on high. People don't respond well to that.

Patrick - I downloaded the "Tabata Timer" by KATR Software. It was only 99 cents. There were several to choose from in the ap store - a couple that were free. I liked the reviews of this one, and it worked well. I knew the last thing I wanted to be doing was staring at my watch or the timer on the treadmill, and this makes it easy. I can still listen to my music at the same time too.
    Great to know, thanks!
    August 2010: 207 lb, 37" waist, 25+% BF | Currently: 177 lb, 33" waist, ~15% BF

I have a new site up and will soon be blogging at The Wayward Mind. (My journal is semi-retired at this point)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast