Page 1 of 1073 12311511015011001 ... LastLast

Thread: <Insert Bacon Here> One fat (guy's) primal journal page

canio6 is offline Senior Member

Talking <Insert Bacon Here> One fat (guy's) primal journal

Shop Now
    Greetings All,

I'd say I've been lurking around here since mid-December; but lurking implies reading and not posting, and as you can tell I hardly ever shut up. So, I joined in December, ignored all the 'start now, don't wait' comments and began my primal journey on January 1st.

Was this a New Year's resolution? No. But I have a strange mind that gets hung up on dates. I couldn't start something as big as a new WOE on the 13th or the 22nd, unless it was a Monday and even then if it was not the right Monday I...yeah, so perhaps I have issues there.

Anyway, a little back ground...

I've been fat since, hmm...3rd grade? It's never really bothered me. I was not one of those fat kids with low self-esteem. I just figured that, hell, I am pretty great and now there is more of me to be pretty great...heck, I am pretty greater! Family-wise I'd say we are CW but with emphasis on potatoes. Seriously, potatoes were their own food group growing up. When I cooked my first Thanksgiving, I asked my mom how many potatoes to make and she said, "Well, you have 14 people coming so you'd better make 15 pounds of potatoes." Growing up we didn't do the whole diet thing except for a while there where my mom put oatbran in everything to lower cholesterol. Yeah, that was the suck, but thankfully only lasted about a year.

Well, I went to college at about 220 (on my towering 5'7" frame) and things went to hell in a happy meal box. Late nights, stupidity, and a general lack of give-a-f*ck = I gained a ton of weight. After college I worked at the college and kept up pretty much the same lifestyle. 1 billion calories and 7 years later and I was 290. This continued until I got tired of teaching and decided to join the Army. The recruiter did a good job of not laughing in my face when my 290 pound self went to find out about joining up.

Fast forward 18 months and I am 180 pounds and shipping off to basic training. I lost the weight with ADD dieting. It's like the joke: How many ADD kids does it take to change a lightbulb? Lets go ride bikes! Yet, in my case it was 'What diet are you on?" "Oooh, lets try...!" I did WW, Atkins, South Beach, Cabbage Soup, and various modifications of 'whatever diet looks good today' changing every few weeks. It was like a frankendiet from hell, but it worked. Mainly it was portion control and exercise be it low fat, no fat, all fat, no nuts, all nuts, I'm going nuts...

I was overweight in the Army from day one. Nothing I could do would change that. Starving myself, laxatives, saunas whatever, I wasn't going to weigh 160 pounds. An Army doctor even signed paperwork saying so. It didn't matter. I was the terrible fat soldier, which is just above dirty commies and al-Qaeda in the Army heirachy of things that should be eliminated. So I said 'f*ck it'. If you are going to treat me like a fat guy I am going to be a fat guy. So despite always doing well at PT I ate like an idiot and gained weight. Fast forward 7 years and here I am today...

Jan 1st I was 300 pounds. I have high cholesterol (hereditary) and am on statins - required by my job. If you are over the CW limit on anything it must be 'treated'. Yes, you have to love the government. So far the PBP has been the bomb. I'm eating food I like and not hating life. I don't count calories (except a couple of times just for curiosity) and I don't stress.

My exercise is limited but I do a lot of standing at work and in class (culinary school). I walk on the weekends since that is when I have the most time. I'll be working in sprints and weights as I am able (ie. when I make my lazy ass do it).

Anyway, my apologies for the wall of text. I'll see you all around the forums

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Hey! You finally started one.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    I like the title.

*brings bacon*
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Hey! You finally started one.
    Indeed. I also notice that my journal is 224 pages shorter than yours. I have some catching up to do!

Quote Originally Posted by Twibble View Post
    *brings bacon*
    See, this is why I like you...well, one of the reasons

Twibble is offline Senior Member
    This reminds me...I need to cook bacon and chicken tonight.
    Most people don't realize how much energy it takes for me to pretend to be normal.

If I wanted to listen to an asshole, I'd fart.

Twibble's Twibbly Wibbly

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Indeed. I also notice that my journal is 224 pages shorter than yours. I have some catching up to do!
    Good luck! I talk to myself a lot in that journal.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Good luck! I talk to myself a lot in that journal.
    That is one way to ensure intelligent conversation.

Tee
    Tee is offline Senior Member
    How did you do the first month and a half? Did you lose weight, inches, etc.

PrimalCon New York
    Quote Originally Posted by Tee View Post
    How did you do the first month and a half? Did you lose weight, inches, etc.
    I weigh myself (F) every Saturday (U) morning when first waking up. I started at 300 (Spammer) pounds on Jan 1st and this past Saturday I was 278. So 22 (Scum) pounds in 6 weeks. As for inches, I have gone from a 3XL shirt to 2XL, am at the last hole on both my belts, and my uniform pants are now too big. All in all I am pretty damned happy.
    Last edited by canio6; 04-02-2012 at 10:26 AM.