Page 947 of 1101 FirstFirst ... 4478478979379459469479489499579971047 ... LastLast
Results 9,461 to 9,470 of 11010

Thread: <Insert Bacon Here> One fat (guy's) primal journal page 947

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post

...aaaaand now I remember I am in a guys journal lol

what's a lox?
    Magnificent isn't it?

GW_Houdon-CT-6757-9.jpg

and lox is brined salmon...sometimes it is smoked. Sometimes all I can get around here is smoked salmon and I call it lox anyway because I am a heathen.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Lox... Everywhere near me. I didn't know what it was until I moved to NYC.
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

JoanieL is offline Senior Member
    If you search gravlax here at MDA, there's a recipe or process to make it. I've done it leaving out the brown sugar and it comes out wonderfully! I thought I'd miss the bagels (traditional is lox/bagels/cream cheese and maybe some tomato/capers/onion), but I rolled it up in nori with chevre, and didn't miss the bagels at all.
    "Right is right, even if no one is doing it; wrong is wrong, even if everyone is doing it." - St. Augustine

B*tch-lite

Who says back fat is a bad thing? Maybe on a hairy guy at the beach, but not on a crab.

PrimalJes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I'm at goal weight but not goal body composition. I've focused much more on losing weight and far too little on the lifting heavy part of primal. The plan for after the holidays is to start the exercise part. A smart person would have done both but eh, I am not a smart man <--best Forrest Gump voice.

As for tricks, it is all about what works for you. I've found that I have to be very, very focused. Take the last week for example, we did Thanksgiving a week late due to work. Now, instead of taking one day of food and fun, that day has turned into a week. Seriously, in the last week I have eaten so much crap I might as well be a dumpster. That is my biggest 'danger' I let one day of 'bad' eating turn into a week or two or three and it is so much easier to say 'f*ck it' after a week or two than it is after one non-primal day. Take a look in Pebbles journal. She's a beast when it comes to sticking to plans and finding what works.

All that said, 212 down to 166...it looks like you've got it figured out. What are your secrets? And don't say giving birth or I will have to chase you with a pointy stick
    The weights will make a big difference very quickly! Go as hard as you can for 20 minutes 2-3x per week. That's all that you need. In 6 weeks, you will start to see a different body. In 3 months, you will look like a new person. It's that quick. Weights are awesome...I actually don't do cardio at all because it makes me feel like a hampster . With that being said, I haven't been to the gym in at least 10 days because it's been icy around here...and I feel like I can't do anything until Christmas shopping is out of the way (after last night, it's almost completely done, phew).

I know EXACTLY how you feel about losing focus and kinda getting off-track. It's such a mental process, right? I read something from someone around here...in her blog (I really can't remember the person) she said something along the lines of "You never really stop being Paleo/Primal even if sometimes you are not eating Primal things. You have to stop thinking about it in that way. If you had a bunch of garbage to eat, you did, and then you just go back to your normal Primal diet." I'm quoting it, but in no way was that her quote, but that's what I remember from it. It's really helped tweek my mindset. This is the "normal" way to eat, and when I derail, it's not like a big failure and it's over-I just get right back on at the next stop. I don't need to punish myself anymore for slip-ups (by eating more garbage to teach myself a lesson). Slip-ups are going to happen. "Just keep going" is the phrase that's always in my head. If I had a week of eating 40 miniature chocolate bars (thanks, 4 year old's Halloween bag on top of the fridge)...it is what it is. I just need to pull myself up by my boot straps and "just keep going"!

To be honest, I lost 18 lbs. the day after giving birth, and 32 lbs. (total) by week 3 post-partum. The last 14 lbs. have taken work (so you can only chase me with a dull stick, at most). It's all about allowing the process to happen. And writing things down. I have a sheet of paper on the side of the fridge where I have been tracking my carbs for the last 22ish days and I've lost 6-7 lbs. in that time...but if I hadn't been writing it down, I wouldn't know that. It would seem like I was doing this forever with no results and I would give up quickly and figure I needed to change things up already. I would just keep changing and changing and never allowing the process to happen. I hadn't lost weight in a while because I had to wait until my little one was 9 months old and eating a good amount of solids. I was afraid the lowered carbs may lower my milk supply. I wasn't willing to risk it. Little one is 10 months old tomorrow and my milk is just fine

And here I am. Almost 2 years on and off Primal. 3 weeks Primal and counting carbs (up to 80g). I am just 2-1/2 lbs. from my pre-pregnancy weight and 15-20 lbs. from my pre-baby #1 weight. I have about 4 months to our beach vacation and I'm excited to look and feel my best when I get there!

Btw, it is a true gift to be funny and to able to write in a way that captivates people. I hope you know that you have that gift. Growing up, I always wanted to be funny. I love to be able to make people laugh and enjoy themselves. In real life, I have a certain charm about me and I believe I am able to make people laugh and feel really good. I'm still working on being able to relate humor into my writing. Is this something people even talk about? haha. Sorry, no pressure! I'm just wondering, do you have to work at it, or does it come naturally to you? Are you similar in real life or do you find it easier to relate your thoughts through words? God, I sound weird...but I still want to improve...Are there secrets, or is it just an art that happens through practice? I learned how to be funny IRL by watching/studying comedies. I am not foreign. Reading this over, I kind of sound foreign. :P
    Last edited by PrimalJes; 12-13-2013 at 08:17 AM.
    I'm a 5'-6" tall female.

SW: 212.4 lbs. February 14, 2013 (My second baby was born)
    CW:166.4 lbs.
    GW: 143 lbs.

Just keep going.

New goal:

Get back to 80-90% Primal and back down to my lowest recent weight of 158 lbs. while doing as much moving and strength training as I can get in.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Don't worry PrimalJes, we all feel the same way about canio. He is charming, articulate and fun to be around.

Great job on the weight loss. I too have times where I eat badly, but I always consider myself Primal.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Don't worry PrimalJes, we all feel the same way about canio. He is charming, articulate and fun to be around.

Great job on the weight loss. I too have times where I eat badly, but I always consider myself Primal.
    <3 Thanks P. I'm far less charming and articulate irl when I am unable to edit and retype what I am trying to say

Quote Originally Posted by PrimalJes View Post
    ...snip snip....
    Jes, thanks for a very well written and thought out post. Given your lack of wanting to feel like a hamster and my overall laziness I won't chase you with any sticks be they dull or otherwise. That is an excellent point on the primal mindset. You are right, even when not eating primal foods we are still primal as it is a way of life not a meal-to-meal examination or checklist. Excellent job on the 14 pounds outside of the post-baby weight. I know that the last few pounds get really frustrating. "Sweet 32 pounds gone and...grrr....." Writing it down is a great way of tracking. For a long time I was tracking my weight every day, and honestly I find it easier to hold myself accountable and fix small changes. Yes, I understand that weight will fluctuate but if after eating a day of junk I see a 3 pound increase I mentally know to have a very strict day the next day as opposed to blowing it off and having 3 bad days then seeing a 7 pound increase. Sure, I know it is mostly water weight but my damned brain wants to say, "OMG 7 pounds? It's all over. Let's console ourselves with two pints of ice cream and a large pizza." STFU brain.

4 months until you hit the beach and 15-20 pounds away from pre-1st baby weight? Dude, you will totally rock it at the beach. That is fantastic. You are kicking major ass. Yup, you will fit in great with the other ladies that are kind enough to grace my journal. They are all primal beasts.

As for your last paragraph, you are really too kind. I'm glad I can bring a smile or two to a few people every once in a while. I tend to write like I talk and the biggest criticism of my writing in college was that it was 'too chatty' or conversational. I got a B+ on my senior project because "No one want to read about Renaissance church music as if they are having a chat." Bullsh*t. I do. Otherwise we'll all be asleep while some boys choir sings the Kyrie.

As to the secret of it, well, it is the tried and true defense mechanism of the short fat dude. Not to be melodramatic but if you are not even 5' tall when you hit high school and you aren't fit or good looking enough to get the ladies, you fall back on what works. Yup, I actually had to cultivate a personality and try to be funny. I keep hoping that one day I'll wake up and be Brad Pitt, but until then I'll try to keep my wits

Oh, and there are some very funny and articulate writers around here. Naiad has a great way with words, as is Gay Panda (he's an absolute riot), bloodorchid is funny as heck and gives what I am assuming are great makeup tips. Paula (Pebbles) is possibly the best at MDA for finding what works, making smart choices, and documents it all well. Heck, there are all kinds of people around here that constantly keep me amused Joanie is always posting cool links and vh67 keeps me on my toes. Not to mention doc, dave (both of them), and the other MDA dudes. TP has great recipes and looks awesome in short shorts (yes, post more gym selfies), and Nameless knows a ton about supplements and gut health - things I avoid. Hell, I am sure I have forgotten a bunch of people who will hopefully show up to complain so we have more to talk about

(if I forgot you I am sorry. I blame it on the junk food, too much scotch, and a crappy memory. Passing the buck at its finest)
    Last edited by canio6; 12-13-2013 at 10:21 AM.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

athomeontherange is offline Senior Member
    thinking about what I contribute is dismal against the above list.
    Karin

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

What am I doing? Depends on the day.

Quote Originally Posted by athomeontherange View Post
    thinking about what I contribute is dismal against the above list.
    Not at all! You contribute a ton. The latest being this new, softer face that is keeping my skull from showing

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Hallelujah for the MDA AVON lady!

demuralist is online now Senior Member
    AMEN! we will all remain young and supple because of her!