Page 881 of 1073 FirstFirst ... 381781831871879880881882883891931981 ... LastLast
Results 8,801 to 8,810 of 10730

Thread: <Insert Bacon Here> One fat (guy's) primal journal page 881

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    There was a pie I've thought of, I just haven't figured out how to primalize it. Effectively a beef shepherd's pie, except instead of pie juice, there's cream gravy. Or maybe cream gravy on the side, with french fries to dip in it.
    I wonder if it's possible to make a pie with a chicken tender top crust?
    The difficulty would be in thickening the gravy...potato starch/tapioca instead of flour perhaps? Almost like a cube steak pie. As for a chicken tender top crust, assuming it were to be breaded that would again be the issue - finding a primal breading - almond/coconut flour would probably work but it seems you would have to fry them to get them crisp.

Edit...you may want to do something more along the lines of a chicken schnitzel...pounded out flat and then quickly crisped, that would even work as a bottom 'crust' I'd think.
    Last edited by canio6; 11-10-2013 at 04:03 PM.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    I know people use mashed cauliflower for shephard's pie...

And gelatin thickens sauces nicely. Also starches do too.

I use omelettes as crusts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Quote Originally Posted by turquoisepassion View Post
    I know people use mashed cauliflower for shephard's pie...

And gelatin thickens sauces nicely. Also starches do too.

I use omelettes as crusts.
    Yup, lots of people seem to use mashed cauliflower, but honestly, I'm a potato fan. I like cauliflower as much as the next guy but generally do not see the need for the substitution unless one is avoiding potatoes for some reason. I'd not thought to use gelatin, that makes sense though. I'll have to give that a go at some point.

omelette pie with omelette crust and omelette filling sounds pretty freaking awesome, though perhaps that is because I am really hungry right now
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

turquoisepassion is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    Yup, lots of people seem to use mashed cauliflower, but honestly, I'm a potato fan. I like cauliflower as much as the next guy but generally do not see the need for the substitution unless one is avoiding potatoes for some reason. I'd not thought to use gelatin, that makes sense though. I'll have to give that a go at some point.

omelette pie with omelette crust and omelette filling sounds pretty freaking awesome, though perhaps that is because I am really hungry right now
    Omelette pizza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    ------
    HCLF: lean red meat, eggs, low-fat dairy, bone broth/gelatin, fruits, seafood, liver, small amount of starch (oatmeal, white rice, potatoes, carrots), small amount of saturated fat (butter/ghee/coconut/dark chocolate/cheese).

My Journal: gelatin experiments, vanity pictures, law school rants, recipe links

Food blog: GELATIN and BONE BROTH recipes

" The best things in life are free and the 2nd best are expensive!" - Coco Chanel

Omelette pizza
    Damn, now, that is sexy. Okay, time for me to go cook.

Goldie is online now Senior Member
    Omelette pizza
    Turquoise, you are BRILLIANT!

We just had a lovely smoked pork roast for dinner, or I would be making this right now. It is on my list for tomorrow!

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    I've tried mashed cauliflower for the top of shepard's pie and I didn't really care for it. I've also combined cauliflower with parsnips and carrots and that was better. Now I'm back to just using potatoes, it's so much better!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Quote Originally Posted by Urban Forager View Post
    I've tried mashed cauliflower for the top of shepard's pie and I didn't really care for it. I've also combined cauliflower with parsnips and carrots and that was better. Now I'm back to just using potatoes, it's so much better!
    I'm with you on the potato issue. I do like parsnip/cauliflower purees. I'm not sure why I find this preferable to mashed, perhaps its a textural thing.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I'm thinking of making shephard pie pasties tomorrow for dinner, maybe with a cream chile gravy dipping sauce.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    I'm thinking of making shephard pie pasties tomorrow for dinner, maybe with a cream chile gravy dipping sauce.
    great, now I am hungry again that sounds very tasty.