Page 778 of 1073 FirstFirst ... 278678728768776777778779780788828878 ... LastLast
Results 7,771 to 7,780 of 10730

Thread: <Insert Bacon Here> One fat (guy's) primal journal page 778

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Eggplant had already had 3 chances.
    I love me some eggplant. Oysters though...3 times and nope, it was not the charm.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Eggplant is a textural thing for me. I just don't like it. Fresh spinach is a-okay, cooked spinach is not.

On the topic of living food: you can get raw octopus tentacles that are still wriggling (freshly lobbed off). I can't remember if Hulky tried it when he was stationed in Korea, but I think he said the trick is to bite it once and swallow quickly. Or maybe just swallow quickly.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    Eggplant is a textural thing for me. I just don't like it. Fresh spinach is a-okay, cooked spinach is not.

On the topic of living food: you can get raw octopus tentacles that are still wriggling (freshly lobbed off). I can't remember if Hulky tried it when he was stationed in Korea, but I think he said the trick is to bite it once and swallow quickly. Or maybe just swallow quickly.
    Yeah, texture is key for a lot of food. It is why I do not like mac-n-cheese - the texture is usually horrible.

As for live octopus - that sounds pretty awesome.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Thanks to mom's "cooking," I can get past a LOT of textural stuff. I still have issues with the "bug gut" texture, where it's a crunchy exterior and gooey or liquid interior. Blech. Same witha sandy texture. Bitter isn't really an issue. Sweet is, especially unexpected sweet.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    I like to live in the past so even though these conversations are all over and the world has moved on, I am going to rebutt... huh huh huh, I said butt...

Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    So I did sexual harrassment training online, sat through a 3.5 hour sexual harrassment training session, and now I am required to do sexual harrassment training with my department. I am now so sick of sexual harrassment training that I want to go sexually harrass someone just to spite the powers that be.
    You can sexually harass me... I don't work for you, but we both work for the government so it's kind of the same thing... you'd be violating the same rules.

LOL. If only. Sadly, I am not sure there is a way to figure it out. Plenty of better minds than mine have tried. I just want a basic knowledge so I am not a total asshat.
    Freud... everything has to do with sex...

I think there may be a small minority of people who are biologically fucked up and need the adjustment meds. About half the people, I'd say, have a "true" version of the illness, i.e. it's not the pill pushers trying to make them shut up and get in line. The rest need to nut up and step away from the doc. Deal with the grief by dealing with it, not taking a pill. Most teenagers aren't bipolar, they're teenagers. Unless the kid is like my middle sister and needs ADHD meds so the rest of the world doesn't kill her, don't put your artistic/ slow learner/ different learner on pills. Fear of public speaking is not GAD (usually.)
    As someone who has been diagnosed hypomaniac/ major depressive/ dysthmic/ PTSD/ GAD/ combined ADHD, I can tell you that most docs want you to sit down, shut up, and take the pills. Do I exhibit symptoms of all of these at some point? Hell yes. Doesn't mean I need drugs. when I told the doc I wanted to try a diet, therapy, and exercise approach, I got looked at like I grew a third eye and told "why not just take the medication?"
    From my perspective, normal is a statistic. It doesn't exist. Never has. Give a shrink a "normal" person and they'll walk out with a diagnosis. Everyone has depressive/ ADHD/ bipolar/ younameit days, to some degree. some just have it worse and more constantly than others.
    I'd say probably half the people being medicated don't need it. Another quarter only need it as a crutch until they face their demons or when then face their demons. There are true schizophrenics/ bipolars/ dysthmics/ ADDs/ etc that do need meds to survive. Even as a mental health patient myself, I believe most folks need to nut up and deal with the issue (if you need the crutch, don't make it permanent) or nut up and control their damn kids (the occasional spanking won't kill them or scar them.)
    From an n=1 perspective, I'd say much of it falls to eating junk and not nutting up. Not always, but mostly. I cut the sugar, that shit died down to a tolerable level. I cut out processed food, it mostly went away. I've seen others do it, time and again. THere's something about an excess of sugar, junk oils, and a lack of saturated oils that fucks with the brain. It's also partially genetic, and I wonder if fetal nutrition also plays a role. If it's a chemical imbalance that happens later in life (adult onset bipolar and biological depression), how did it happen? Can that imbalance be reversed without drugs once we know what caused it? If synapses are failing, there's a reason the imbalance is there. Why is it there? I've seen no studies looking into that cause of low serotonin or low lithium or high wtfever, only that these chemicals artificially raise it.
    ^this

Quote Originally Posted by tomi View Post
    Maybe I should make note that I got my degree in 2000 - so a lot has changed since then. Personally I believe a LOT of "mental illnesses" are caused from malnutrition and imbalances that the world of pharmaceuticals can't fix. I think we have an epidemic of ADD and ADHD kids because of all the crap we're feeding them. Fake food doesn't nourish the brain.
    ^this!!

So food yesterday was about as primal as a ball of stress deep fried in canola oil with a side of GMO soybean/wheat bread with margarine and cyanide. That said, it was really good.
    Sounds delicious. lol

I made ice cream using the Ben and Jerry's sweet cream recipe - hvy cream, milk, sugar, eggs. Then I added all the stuff K wanted - chocolate chips, nestle crunch, kitkat, roasted almonds, and M&Ms. Way too sweet but still good.

Dinner we went to a nice place we had a groupon for. I had hush puppies as an appetizer - they were awesome and came with some pepper jam. K had the snack slate which had cheese and bread and nuts and olives and a bunch of other snacky sh*t. Entrees - I had pot roast with roasted potatoes, carrots, and truffle gravy. K had grouper with asparagus, beans, two kinds of tomatoes and some other stuff. For dessert we shared a piece of blackberry bundt cake with mint infused whipped cream.
    This sounds amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    I'm with you, Naiad. There are times when "nutting up" just doesn't cut it, but those times are a lot fewer than the prescriptions out there. Of course, it doesn't help that advertisers are getting people pretty convinced that any emotion other than a fairly controlled bliss requires medication to correct.
    Now they have medication for people who laugh too much and are calling THAT a mental health disorder.

I'm a Stephen King fan, so length, even extraneous length, doesn't bug me. (That's what she said.) It's authors that spend 5 pages describing the fucking flower the protagonist is hold that bug me. (*coughJeanAuelcough*) I have a handful of books where I've read maybe a third of it and finished, because I skimmed past the unnecessary exposition. I really don't need 3 pages describing the guy's shirt or his ex's hair.
    I LOVE STEPHEN KING!!! Under the Dome is on tv starting tonight. I think it's a 4 part mini-series.
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    I had lots of opportunities to go to Korea for work but the live octopus was one of the 2 reasons why not ( the other was that the customer would hold on to your pass port until they decided you were done and could go home - F that). They will suction onto the roof of your mouth or cheek of you don't swallow fast enough. I would hark that up so fast- no way! It was considered part of the trip to be taken out for it and really rude to refuse.

jenn26point2 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    if anyone needs to explain depression to someone who doesn't have it- this is an awesome description of it: blessed wild apple girl - depression is humiliating. It turns intelligent,...
    nailed it!!
    Primal since March 5, 2012
    SW: 221 | CW: 182 | LPW: 166 | UGW: 140 (80 lbs loss)

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jenn26point2 View Post

Now they have medication for people who laugh too much and are calling THAT a mental health disorder.
    Ha Ha!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    Jenn- I'm thinking that after all the sexual harassment training Canio has had, he's probably really, really good at it these days

That blog- I've never seen it written in a way that it would actually make sense to someone who hasn't been there- I'm mighty impressed with her!
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mud Flinger View Post
    I had lots of opportunities to go to Korea for work but the live octopus was one of the 2 reasons why not ( the other was that the customer would hold on to your pass port until they decided you were done and could go home - F that). They will suction onto the roof of your mouth or cheek of you don't swallow fast enough. I would hark that up so fast- no way! It was considered part of the trip to be taken out for it and really rude to refuse.
    I'd totally eat some fresh octopus... I LOVE octopus.

Intact squids, however, give me pause...
    How Exactly Could a Squid &#39;Inseminate&#39; Your Mouth?
    I will only eat them if they've been cleaned of organs.
    Because... eeeeeeeeeeew, and OUCH!
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.