Page 656 of 1090 FirstFirst ... 156556606646654655656657658666706756 ... LastLast
Results 6,551 to 6,560 of 10893

Thread: <Insert Bacon Here> One fat (guy's) primal journal page 656

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    Shop Now
    I grew up attending an Orthodox Christian (yes, like the Greeks, but it was not a Greek congregation) church. The "music" is technically "chanting" (there is singing as well as what you might call chanting), I think. The music is old-sounding, IMO. Hearing about these "modern" songs in Catholic churches (what most people purported to be in my community growing up) really confused me, haha. Of course, from their perspective, we were old-school and outdated or something. I don't really understand why stuff doesn't change. Why don't people write new music? Why does the service format always remain the same? It only varies a little, in terms of choice, from congregation to congregation. Tradition, I understand, but tradition still adapts and changes over time.

Loved that priest though. He has always loved my hairstyle changes . He (very sneakily, but in a way that the entire congregation could tell) defended my godfather when an outspoken visitor to the parish basically tried to shun the gays from church. Non-heterosexuals are not acknowledged or really accepted in the Orthodox Christianity, but the priest at my parents' church has always made it clear that he believes in loving everyone, no matter their perceived flaws or choices.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geostump View Post
    Hey, at least he's honest! Any religion that has an honest prophet, I'd buy into it. Oh wait.... lol
    Well, I figured the shepherd (pastor) had a flock (congregation) because the people were looking to get fleeced. Might as well be up front about it.

Seriously though, I do respect religion. If you have one, great. Just please don't be a douche about it and vice versa.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by namelesswonder View Post
    snipped....
    sounds like a cool church Nameless and a great priest.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    fleeced
    Gwamma knows a wee bit about fleeces........................ not much about religion thou !!!!!!! except that DH went to a boys catholic boarding school and got caned by the priests !!!!!!!!!
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

drssgchic is offline Senior Member
    1- dude, people, someone needs to hold up the shovels on the side of the road- they won't hold themselves up!

2- I discovered an awesome side-effect of attending church. When I meet someone new, I get to see their reaction when I say it. The best one so far?

"I'm so proud of you!"
    "Why?"
    "Because you Believe!"
    "Believe in what?"
    "Jesus!"
    "What about him? I know there was a teacher by that name that had interesting things to say."
    It went downhill from there.
    http://cattaillady.com/ My blog exploring the beginning stages of learning how to homestead. With the occasional rant.

Originally Posted by TheFastCat: Less is more more or less

And now I have an Etsy store: CattailsandCalendula

Quote Originally Posted by NZ primal Gwamma View Post
    Gwamma knows a wee bit about fleeces........................ not much about religion thou !!!!!!! except that DH went to a boys catholic boarding school and got caned by the priests !!!!!!!!!
    Well, I will leave caning and priests alone. I spent 6 years in Catholic school and escaped both...we had nuns.

There is a fun book by John Scalzi about a religion that worships a certain sheep. Kind of reminds me of this discussion.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    1- dude, people, someone needs to hold up the shovels on the side of the road- they won't hold themselves up!

2- I discovered an awesome side-effect of attending church. When I meet someone new, I get to see their reaction when I say it. The best one so far?

"I'm so proud of you!"
    "Why?"
    "Because you Believe!"
    "Believe in what?"
    "Jesus!"
    "What about him? I know there was a teacher by that name that had interesting things to say."
    It went downhill from there.
    So technically you do believe in Jesus. Maybe it is because I am a closed-minded sob, but when someone says they go to 'church' i assume they are Christian. Much like if they go to Synagogue they are Jewish or Muslim if they attend a Mosque. I have no idea what Wiccans go to...maybe a sacred grove or something (or is that Druids? eh, who knows). Atheists go to Walmart, but then again, so does everyone else....

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    In certain circles, guys talking about sheep has an entirly different connotation..... Da-a-a-a-a-a-ddyyyyy your b-a-a-a-a-ck

ssn679doc is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    So technically you do believe in Jesus. Maybe it is because I am a closed-minded sob, but when someone says they go to 'church' i assume they are Christian. Much like if they go to Synagogue they are Jewish or Muslim if they attend a Mosque. I have no idea what Wiccans go to...maybe a sacred grove or something (or is that Druids? eh, who knows). Atheists go to Walmart, but then again, so does everyone else....
    Druids go to sacred groves.... Wiccans go anywhere they please cuz they are feared....

Quote Originally Posted by ssn679doc View Post
    Druids go to sacred groves.... Wiccans go anywhere they please cuz they are feared....
    ah, it all makes sense now...