Page 618 of 1073 FirstFirst ... 118518568608616617618619620628668718 ... LastLast
Results 6,171 to 6,180 of 10727

Thread: <Insert Bacon Here> One fat (guy's) primal journal page 618

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Canio, I am really enjoying shooting the breeze with you, but Third won't get up at verbal requests, so now I have to go lay my hands on her - the clock is ticking. Well, I have to lay my hands on her anyway, as she isn't independent at getting ready for school yet (but we are making progress! She is now to the point where she wants to choose her own clothing and brush her own teeth, yay! But I am getting sick of Justin Bieber and High School Musical tshirts!).

Bye till later, you and SSN, both!

(SSN - my Third is 12 and multiply disabled, just in case I say strange stuff about her at times)
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    (but we are making progress! She is now to the point where she wants to choose her own clothing and brush her own teeth, yay! But I am getting sick of Justin Bieber and High School Musical tshirts!).
    Hmm...Apparently Third and I have progressed to the same level and share a wardrobe...awkward....

Have a great day CC. I am off to pick up coffee for those who actually showed up at work. Time to get out of the office and help out on the line for a bit. Talk to you all shortly
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    Thanks to you both (and Sub's father) for serving. You've done something I couldn't.
    (Mostly for problems with authority, but when I looked into it, briefly, for college, they wanted better eyes than mine and better coordination. I refused to go in as a grunt, so I didn't go that path.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    My mental health issues kept me out, had I ever been interested. My dad's dad fought in the Red Army, captured by Germans at Stalingrad, of all places. Met my grandma after the war & they were engaged for a while till my grandma's mother called it off for some reason. They traveled to the US separately, a few months apart, in 1950 and somehow met up again there, got married, had a family, and literally built a home together (where I want to hold my wedding ceremony). Very proud of what I've come from.

Hulky served for a few years, was in Korea for 1 yr, Washington (state) for another. He shot rockets in some huge truck thing, was very good at his job and should've been a Sgt, but Army kept screwing him over for leave dates & stuff so he refused. His commitment (I almost called it a "sentence" haha, don't know what the correct term would be) got excused after they tried to call him back within a year of sending him home and realized, "oh wait, we broke you. Go home!" So, no more Army for him and we are both glad for that! His sister is in the Reserves, and his dad was also in the Army, stationed in Germany for a few years in the early '70s.
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

I had one grandpa in the south Pacific as a Navy surgeon assistant (which was ironic since he had a weak stomach, it seems Uncle Sam doesn't care if the sight of blood makes you want to vomit). He was the only grandfather I knew and he never talked about his service until I wrote a report on him during college, I got to interview him for that. He said he never thought to write down the names of the islands he went to, though Peleliu was one he could remember for sure.

I don't know the details so much on the other grandfather, though I know he was an Army grunt in France shortly after they ran the Germans out. I don't even know for sure if my grandmother knows very much about where he was or what he was a part of. I do know he got frostbite on a couple toes in France. That might be what I do this weekend, find out what/when/where.

They were the greatest generation for sure.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

naiadknight is offline Senior Member
    All 3 of my grandfathers served. My maternal grandfather served in the Army in Korea, I don't think he ever got above grunt. My paternal grandfather served after WWII in the Navy, testing bombs and such on Eniwetok (sp?), I believe he went in as an officer due to college. My paternal stepgrandfather served Air Force in Korea, I believe he was actually a pilot, but I'm not sure on that.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Third is safely off to school...

My maternal-side grandfather was German, and he got captured by the Americans in WWII on the island of Sicily. My grandfather, being a very cool dude by all accounts, made quick friends with the Amis. Story goes, the Amis liked him so much that he was offered a sponsorship of some kind to move to the US. Opa (German for grandfather) asked my Oma ((German for grandmother) he was already married at this point) if they could go, and she told him to go, if that was what he wanted, but she was staying in the Vaterland. So he stayed, too. He should have gone - she is a harridan (still alive).

Anyway, I think a link-up with the Yanks was in the stars for that family because just one generation later, my very own German mother meets and marries an Army grunt on deployment to Germany in the '60's - my Pop.

On hubby's side, his American grandfather was a decorated Army Air Force flyer who ended his career (as Air Force) as a higher-up. The guy was awarded both the Army Distinguished Service Medal and the Air Force Distinguished Service Medal. As he made his career before-during-immediately after the WWII era, and served in the Pacific theater, the family had an incredible number of moves, including a stint in Japan directly after Surrender. Hubby's father, the Air Force man's son, tells us that such frequent moves were hell for him.

We frequently do not connect, hubby's father and I, on things military. You see, he is the son of a serious commander who shook hands at least once with Truman, and I am the daughter of a grunt. FIL describes a life of never getting close to the underlings and always, always never causing scandal, and for my family, it was all about getting into each other's family's "business" as quickly and deeply as possible in order to help each other out as dependents of said grunts.
    I have a mantra that I have spouted for years... "If I eat right, I feel right. If I feel right, I exercise right. If I exercise right, I think right. If I think right, I eat right..." Phil-SC

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I forgot to include my cousin & her husband! They were/are helicopter pilots in the Navy. My cousin used to fly the kind of helicopter that the PotUS gets flown around in, I think. The husband retired last year at 40, and is now doing contract stuff & teaching people how to fly (in the Navy). My cousin is looking good for Captain in her current gig (Lt Commander right now, I think?). They have the two sweetest and most well behaved children ever (fraternal twins, boy & girl). My favorite extended family!
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Dang all kinds of veteran family members up in here. My bio father was British Navy, my dad was US Airforce, my mom's dad was British Army in WW2, and my dad's dad was in Korea and Vietnam (Navy and Airforce - US)
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Mud Flinger is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    My Dad served in the pacific rim during WWII -Army. My nephew was a marine in Iraq and is now a cop.