Page 524 of 1073 FirstFirst ... 244244745145225235245255265345746241024 ... LastLast
Results 5,231 to 5,240 of 10727

Thread: <Insert Bacon Here> One fat (guy's) primal journal page 524

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    My sons will attend the comunity college and then probably a state school. I have been in debt all my life. I won't do that to my kids.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    This was all just a really, really, REALLY long winded way to say that not all student loans are bad. If your gross yearly pay on graduation could pay them off (as a lump sum windfall), then I'd say the loans are worth it. (Certain careers excepted, like teaching.) If your degree guarantees starting at the bottom and working your way to the top, like culinary, see if she can start an apprenticeship type thing and work on night classes as you go.
    I am thinking the same thing.

My First (the oldest) doesn't really know where/what she wants to do/be and if that doesn't change before her 18th birthday - I will suggest to her what her Mama thinks would suit her, and that would be to get a degree in library sci; that kid has a real abiding passion for stories and lit, especially children's stories, and libraries completely excite her and are her second home all at the same time. She may not get rich off of it, but she will be happy at work and it won't be flipping burgers. We'll see how far she gets before the money-crunch hits.

My Second has been definite for years now, we will see if that lasts until she turns 18. Fourth is only nine...

I'm normally not into telling my kids what they should be (but I do tell them that they need to have SOMETHING decently solid on which to build, and as long as it is legal, moral, ethical, and pays their personal bills after graduation/completion/whatever, I will be okay with it) but I will push a bit if they are aimless post-18 (which I don't see happening, I'm just sayin').

Hubby is doing well with his chem degree (allows me to be a SAHM). My brother did the JVS/trade school thing, became a machinist, and now is in management at his company and doing well. I have no degree, just a whole lotta' life experience, so if Hubby dropped dead, I would have to study - which doesn't bother me per se (as I intend to when the kids are on solid footing), it would just be a real adjustment. However, I don't like this feeling I have of not having that "something" that I am preaching to my girls about... actually - it is the reason I tell them that, especially as they ARE girls.

Life lesson on my part.

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Lots of community colleges offer those personality/aptitude/interest tests to help guide you toward career options. Might be worth looking into. I think the fees are low, or even free if you are a student there.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Neither my husband nor myself have a post secondary degree. I had an extremely bad experience in college which lead to depression and my ultimately being expelled. He just never went. I work in customer service, he's a mechanic. I want to go back to school but part of me is afraid of another bad experience so that is why I ultimately won't go back. Plus, I am horribly bad at math and everything I am interested in requires math in some form beyond what I am capable of(or at least feel capable of doing). I had an extremely awful algebra teacher that pretty much killed my confidence and I can really only handle the basics. I'm an intelligent person. Anywho, my daughters are aware of this and they understand the why as to why I have reervations about myself. I don't have any towards them furthering my education. My husband is totally against them going to college, but that is another conversation altogether.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    I think everyone has to find their own path whether it be college or a trade or raising a family or what have you. It's sad to hear Geo that your husband is totally against your girls going to college. For many this is a great route. Others do fine without it.

I do recommend a quality community colleges because prices are far cheaper, but again that all depends on the person, their goals and the like.

I'm off to FL tomorrow so if I do not talk to you all until I get back have a merry Christmas.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Florida...
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    I think everyone has to find their own path whether it be college or a trade or raising a family or what have you. It's sad to hear Geo that your husband is totally against your girls going to college. For many this is a great route. Others do fine without it.

I do recommend a quality community colleges because prices are far cheaper, but again that all depends on the person, their goals and the like.

I'm off to FL tomorrow so if I do not talk to you all until I get back have a merry Christmas.
    Clint honestly believes that the only people who need to go for higher ed are those that want to be teachers, doctors, lawyers or engineers. He says there is no need for higher ed for anyone else. For example, you can learn all about philosophy on your own(which in that regard, I do agree with him). However, with Tristan, she is going to need a specialized degree due to wanting to be a vet. He believes for every other career, on the job training is all you need. I see his point. Especially when you look at all the people who have degrees and don't use them.

Merry Christmas yo.
    If I just said LOL, I lied. Do or do not. There is no try.

canio6 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Florida...
    indeed. Panhandle represent!
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    Ohh... that's not REALLY Florida. That's Lower Alabama or Lower Georgia.

Though I use to live there (Hurlburt Field AFB/Ft. Walton) and I still miss Navarre Beach... that's some good water man.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.