Page 523 of 1099 FirstFirst ... 234234735135215225235245255335736231023 ... LastLast
Results 5,221 to 5,230 of 10982

Thread: <Insert Bacon Here> One fat (guy's) primal journal page 523

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by justyouraveragecavemen View Post
    Word up.
    The bird bro. It is the word.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Excellent. Enjoy! You deserve it.
    Thank you muchly
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    Woot woot!!

Oddball thoughts: the Schar company makes the best gluten-free ciabatta rolls I have tasted yet. Just for the experience, head on over to your local health food store, buy a package, and let me know. They are just "bread", and not "GLUTEN-FREE bread" ifyouknowwhatimean.

If you aren't going into a culinary field, why the degree? Personal goal?

Second cannot be accomodated at the CIA, for example, with a gluten and dairy problem, so she will have to cobble together her own education. On our list: the School of Natural Cookery in Boulder, Matthew Kenney's place in OKC (raw food), and internships at both a gluten-free baker and a butcher. Second doesn't actually know if she wants to be in the front-lines of daily cooking or just own a small cafe place and be an incredibly informed owner (and pinch hitter if necessary), but she doesn't have to know that yet.

My Fourth (nine years old) made up a batch of Mark's Primal Ketchup from his cookbook, and then Second (fourteen YO) took that ketchup and made Mark's "Grandma's BBQ" for dinner two nights ago, using two giant pork butts, and both of them did it without any adult intervention whatsoever. We are still enjoying leftovers

I honestly do not miss bread that much but if I ever get the urge I will look it up.

Why the culinary field? I like to cook and more importantly I like to eat. Also GI Bill. What what.

Honestly, I have a degree already and after 4 years in the Army (3 of which I was overseas or away from my wife) I just wanted a break. Also Master's Degree programs in this state are nuts expensive. It would have cost me more than my entire GI Bill just for tuition. As my wife is in school full time I needed to work so culinary was a fit (classes are at night) and I enjoyed them for the most part. It's at a community college (not somewhere fancy) but I learned a lot.

As for the CIA, much I have read suggests it is a $30K way to make $9 an hour. Sure some make it big but many just get saddled with a ton of debt.

Dang, it sounds like you have some very capable cooks there. I knew there was a reason to have kids. Dang it.

Quote Originally Posted by drssgchic View Post
    The things I miss when I introvert!

From several pages ago- I was brought up to believe that baked potato skins were what you pulled the innards out of and re-filled with butter and cottage cheese or sour cream. Then you add the toppings of your choice to the innards and eat them too

The internship is over, too? So, like, you'll have some time to breathe when you get back after vacation? Woo hoo!
    Yes, potato skins are vehicles for cheese, butter, and sour cream. Not cottage cheese because cottage cheese is the devil.

Yup, all over. Not breathing room as I am already scheduled for a 60 hour work week starting the day after I get back. Got to love it. not.

Crabbcakes is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    As for the CIA, much I have read suggests it is a $30K way to make $9 an hour. Sure some make it big but many just get saddled with a ton of debt.
    If you live at their Hyde Park NY school, it is a shade under 20K per semester (all expenses), and there are EIGHT of them... (with one "externship", for a total of nine semesters for the bachelor's degree)

With three girls capable of going to college (Third won't, you know, but you know her deal) and expenses for Third always being there, we just don't have the big bucks to pay for all three to go to wherever they want. They all will have to work their way through, with us providing as much support in any way we can, like them starting off at a community college while living at home, using our cars, etc. and successively transferring up to bigger schools and such, probably a local state school like OSU or Kent State or such, depending.

When Third grows up, all those expensive therapies will be over just because they will have done whatever they could to get her development further along (or not) and that money can then go toward tuition help for the other three.

I really, really do not want my girls to saddle themselves with school debt. As I get older, I really think that debt is an evil demon best avoided almost entirely, however you can.

What is your first degree? And, has it served you well, whatever it is?

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Crabb-
    I feel much the same way about debt. Avoid it where at all possible, and pay it off ASAP when unavoidable. I went in for my engineering degree with nearly all my requirements knocked out with APs, and knocked all but 3 of the rest of the "basics" out of the way during summers at the community college. (I couldn't find a CC that offered calculus 2 or statistics as a summer course, and my chem 2 class got cancelled because we were one person shy of the requirements for there to be a class.) All I took at the university were things required for my actual degree. Even including 2 degree changes (thankfully both or my original majors were in the sciences, so things still counted), I got out with my degree in 3.5 years.
    My parents were able to help me out my first semester, and pay for room and board. I covered the rest of the time with a job and the max student loans I could take out.
    All this is a really roundabout way to say I consider only 4 forms of debt legitimate- student loans, car, emergency medical, and house. I only consider student loans legitimate if you've done all you can to limit what loans you have to take. Emergency medical is just that; something completely unavoidable, like a broken arm. The car and house, you must know what you can afford and not go with the maximum loan they'll try and give you.
    Even with 3.5 years or the maximum they would let me take out (thanks, Texas! You couldn't wait 4 more years to deregulate tuition?), I only pay just under $140/ month for 3.5 years of both subsidized and unsubsidized.
    This was all just a really, really, REALLY long winded way to say that not all student loans are bad. If your gross yearly pay on graduation could pay them off (as a lump sum windfall), then I'd say the loans are worth it. (Certain careers excepted, like teaching.) If your degree guarantees starting at the bottom and working your way to the top, like culinary, see if she can start an apprenticeship type thing and work on night classes as you go.
    (That said, I have my own opinion on lib arts majors that don't intend on teaching, and it isn't pretty.)
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

geostump is offline Senior Member
    I'm definitely of the mindset that middle daughter will definitely be going to college. She leans towards a veterinary degree, but is expressing more interest in the arts. She's always been very creative and is actually making her own comics, and is interested in special effects design and make up. She's very much into the SyFy show Face Off. I should start getting her some clay and tools to help mold her interests. Caitlyn is looking into cosmetology school and Heather says veterinary school, but for some reason, she screams teacher to me. The nice thing about being in Ohio is that if Tristan decides to go into a veterinary program, Ohio State is one of the top schools in the country for veterinary medicine. The only issue that Tristan would have about going to OSU is the marching band. She still wants to be active in marching band but TBDBITL is a brass and percussion corp and she plays clarinet. University of Cincinnati is world renowned for its arts program and if she keeps her grades up, she should have no problems getting accepted or even getting scholarships. The other 2 are where I get concerned. There is no way in hell I can save for college for the 3 of them, especially with all the financial their father and I have. At least grandma has started some sort of fund for them.
    Georgette

Quote Originally Posted by Crabbcakes View Post
    What is your first degree? And, has it served you well, whatever it is?
    I have a liberal arts degree (history) and don't intend on teaching (love ya Naiad). Actually, I did teach for three years and, while the kids were mostly great, the public education system is a joke. Too much idiocy, red tape, and practices that hinder actual education. I'm not looking to do it again.

Does it serve me well? Hmm...well, I joined the army at a higher rank. I could have been an officer if I had wanted to. It opens up some job opportunites. That said, I do not need it to do my job currently. So yes and no? I like the fact I have one. Besides that, eh.

Naiad has a good point with culinary. It is very possible to learn on the job. Now, some will argue for culinary schools but I can't ever see saddling yourself with $100K (good lord CIA) in debt to make what cooks make here (best starting cook pay in this area $10.12/hr though we are a relatively small town. That said, I recall a James Beard Award winner on Top Chef commenting that he only makes $30K a year owning his own restaurant and that dude had mad skills).

The program at the community college here is decent. It definitely teaches the basics and there is a 'piece of paper' at the end. It is very possible to work while getting the degree and it then transfers to a 4 year university if you wanted to pursue a bachelor's (in hotel and hospitality or some such).

My brother started as a dish washer and within 3 years was kitchen manager at a restaurant (it was a chain but going from minimum wage to $35K with no education beyond high school is not shabby by the age of 21/22). A year later he was asst manager and a year after that offered a manager job at $50K plus. Of course, it was a chain so little creativity and at that point he would have been out of the kitchen, which sucks if cooking is your passion. However, it is possible to make money in that way. Personally, I do not have the patience/personality to deal with that kind of work. I'd have to open my own place and do things my own way. Which given 90% failure rate for restaurants does not bode well.

Oh well, follow your passion and all that. Lord knows I haven't but eh, life goes on

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    There are exceptions for every rule, Canio. I'll save my rant on watering down the degree for another time.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Hey the guy who was arrested was a History teacher. We may have an opening here soon. Just in case you change your mind.lol
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67