Page 372 of 1088 FirstFirst ... 272322362370371372373374382422472872 ... LastLast
Results 3,711 to 3,720 of 10880

Thread: <Insert Bacon Here> One fat (guy's) primal journal page 372

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I can tell you the brinks/ shoveovers in depression. I can tell you more than you ever wanted to know abt major depression, seasonal affective (Oh, how fucking cute, let's call it SAD because you're sad and completely ignore that there's a difference between depression and sadness), dysthymia, and being suicidal. I can tell you how way too many people wear as a badge of honor and how way too few are willing to attack their own demons, instead being content to rely on antidepressants forever (yes, I'm aware there are those with dopamine, serotonin, and norepinephrine disorders and I know they don't exist in the quantities that the pharmacies dispense meds for.)
    I could go on a rant right here, right now on that. I won't. I have a handful and then some of "cute," "adorably named," "popular" conditions, some officially diagnosed, some, not so much. I am not my conditions, diseases, or fallbacks. If you want to talk about them with me, don't expect to hear just the cute shit that won't depress you and don't expect me to just acknowledge the pretty and common sides everyone knows.
    Point blank: my opinion is that they give it a cute name to make people less scared of what they have, willing to do less about it, and unwilling to do anything but take a few meds.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    technically, it becomes an illness when it interferes with life.

when does it go from 1) yeah, think some positive thoughts to 2) hang out with more positive people to 3) find a support group to 4) get ye to a psychologist/etc stat!
    just a note, it's not a self-esteem issue. most of my life i've felt pretty confident in who i am. it's an "other" sort of thing. as my mom was verbally tearing me down, i would silently remind myself that she was just stressed and taking it out on me. most of the things she said were obvious projections (like calling me a snob- she was bullied as a kid). so basically, there is what i see myself as, and how i think others see me. as i've matured, i have been trying to reconcile the two by analyzing what i think, hopefully coming to one realistic "self-identity." i know this must sound horribly lame to you. *shrug*

so anyway, there's different levels of severity, and there's different treatments, but i don't really understand where you're going with this. i think some people easily dismiss psychological disorders because there's a strong behavioral component to most of them, most of which seems like common sense, which is something that not all of us are blessed with.

i actually LOL'ed when i realized that asperger sounds like assburger.

canio6 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by naiadknight View Post
    Point blank: my opinion is that they give it a cute name to make people less scared of what they have, willing to do less about it, and unwilling to do anything but take a few meds.
    That sounds right to me. Follow the money. It seems a lot like weight loss...sure you can work your ass off, eat right, LHT, walk a bunch etc oooooooor lets have this cute little surgery...how about a lapband? It even sounds nice!

So I wonder how many mental illnesses are the same way. Eh, I probably should read up on the subject more but every time I try I tend to get annoyed.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

What the F&#* is a decorum? - Mr. Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by Saoirse View Post
    just a note, it's not a self-esteem issue...snipped
    Understood. I just really do not have a better way to verbalize it. I am not trying to trivialize the experience.

As for the rest, I have no idea where I am going with it. Mental illness has always confused me. Hell, technically I probably have one or several. Both my sisters and my mother have been diagnosed with depression. Honestly I don't see it. Sure some times they are sad, sometimes they are not...what makes them different than others? No idea. Perhaps I am just blind. Perhaps their doctor is a quack. It just seems that every time we turn around more and more people are depressed or have this illness or that and I wonder how much of it is true and how much of it is an effect of modern society and how much is just something we make up to make it easier on ourselves. Just something to think about. I'm really not trying to judge anyone for having one or not having one or whatever.
    somehow I manage to leave my intelligence and decorum at the door wherever I go. I doubt your journal will be an exception to that - not on the rug

Saoirse is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by canio6 View Post
    and then there are post like this...

So now anxiety is merely a nutritional deficiency. So apparently one treats it with vitamins?
    meh, you know a little about my vicarious experience with depression (i've dealt with dysthymia myself, i just ride the wave). i think there are some people who think that pills of any sort are really powerful, so why struggle with the tough stuff if you can take supplements or a pharmaceutical? i can see some validity to the idea if it can be argued that the illness is caused by a nutritional deficiency; it makes sense to address the deficiency. then there is some research pointing out that people who have depression (as an example) have imbalances in this or that neurotransmitter. but people like to ignore the research showing that the choices we make and the things we do (like exercising, eating well, socializing, etc) impact our balance of neurotransmitters too.

nah, i didn't think you were judging or anything. i personally don't care, i know what i know and it doesn't impact anyone else (or at least i try not to let it impact others). maybe you're placing too much weight on the idea of a disorder? it doesn't have to be a defining characteristic of a person, just a way to address a group of symptoms.
    Last edited by Saoirse; 05-07-2012 at 02:32 PM.

Fair enough.

geostump is offline Senior Member
    Speaking of self-eseteem issues. I am the queen of them. In certain areas, I am confident as a damn show horse, in other arenas, I just want to hide and not be around people. I'm trying to read books on boosting self-esteem/confidence, but for me, I don't think books/therapy/pills/what have you works for me. I'm just one of those people that have to let the inner bitch out and not give a shit about what others think. I mean bitch in the positive, powerful woman. not the derogatory term most use. I don't believe in the Goddess crap.

Now, when it comes to diet, I do believe some mental issues can be corrected or made better with diet. Aspergers, ADD/ADHD, bi-polar(I still prefer the term Manic-Depressive), I have seen where those can be helped with diet.
    Georgette

So the first annual Chopped is over at school. All in all it was fun. There was a little bit of a line up change but all was good.

Competitors:

Me: home cook and fat dude
    J: Culinary director at a retirement community, former instructor at the Army Culinary School
    J2: Graduate of the culinary program and owner of part time catering business
    R: Graduate of the Cordon Bleu in Chicago. Cook for the Army Dining Facility

So as Chef put it, "Yeah, so you are the underdog." To be fair, R had never been in our kitchen before so was in my opinion at the largest disadvantage. When time is of the essence knowing where stuff is really helps.

Each stage was 45 minutes from start to service. Scored 1-10 based on taste/execution, creativity, plating/presentation.

Round One: Appetizer - in the basket (all ingredients must be used) - 1 fresh pineapple, 1 can of coconut milk, sea scallops, Peruvian purple fingerling potatoes.

I poached off a couple of the potatoes in coconut milk, seared off some scallops and made a pineapple/jalapeno relish. This was plated in the middle - slice of potato, scallop, topped with relish. To one side I had a scallop and potato hash and to the other a pineapple-coconut smoothy.

I scored well on creativity and plating. My execution was a little off. Apparently the potato was a touch undercooked and in the hash the purple potato turned the scallop an odd color.

After round one: R gets chopped.

Round Two: Entree - duck breast, large portobello mushrooms, parsnips, a box of Kraft Mac-n-Cheese.

Yeah, mac and cheese. WTF. Anyway...I seared off the duck and made an apple and dijon mustard glaze. I cooked the mac and then chopped it. This I then sauteed with diced onion and mushroom and stuffed it into the mushroom cap with parm and some cheese powder crap. I made a parsnip puree. I served the duck over the puree with the stuffed mushroom on the side.

My entree went over well.

Round 2 verdict: J2 chopped.

Round 3 Dessert: Me vs. J - basket = fresh basil, Greek yogurt (fat free), a baguette, dried apricots.

Now, I do not bake, have not taken baking, and ice cream is the only desert I eat. So I made breakfast.

French toast with re-hydrated apricot 'jam' with a tart basil infused yogurt sauce.

J made an absolutely off the hook bread pudding (it was like sex in the mouth)

Anyway...judges said all my flavors were great but it was not sweet enough. Too much like breakfast and not like a dessert. They wanted a sweet sauce to go with it.

As I said, J's dessert was the bomb.

Anyway, all judges kept their scores seperatly then added them together at the end. Highest total points win.

J beat me by one point. He deserved it, his desert was great.

That said, it was a damned good time. It was taped and I may be able to get a copy once it is edited.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Wow Jon, that sounds like it was fun. Second place by one point...you rock. (and you can make me breakfast anytime.)

I watched the first epi of GOT season 1 last night. All in all, I was not disappointed in how they did things. I am simultaneously reading the book and ordering the episodes from Netflix.

Quote Originally Posted by Pebbles67 View Post
    Wow Jon, that sounds like it was fun. Second place by one point...you rock. (and you can make me breakfast anytime.)

I watched the first epi of GOT season 1 last night. All in all, I was not disappointed in how they did things. I am simultaneously reading the book and ordering the episodes from Netflix.

Thanks and I would be happy to make you breakfast

I'm glad you liked the show. They do a good job of the first season.