Thread: Help with Two Side Effects...? page

demos is offline Junior Member

Help with Two Side Effects...?

Primal Fuel
    I have been working on primal eating for about a month now. I have had a few good weeks of eating with a few slip ups/cheats. I have not really lost scale weight, but i think I added a little muscle and toned up. I have noticed two side effects that I would like help fixing. I am not sure if these are normal (natural?). Am I doing something wrong or can I do anything about them.

1. My firgernails seem more brittle.
    2. My breath is a little funky.

Are there foods/nutrients that I am missing? I am eating tons of omelets with spinach, mushrooms, zucchini, salsa. Beef and fish. Protein shakes. Fish oil supplements. Grapefruits now and then.

Thanks for your help!

lizch is offline Senior Member
    Breath is just ketosis now you're not eating as many carbs.

The fingernails I don't think can be anything related to diet over the past month. The ends of your nails were formed months ago so I'd be surprised if your diet now could be having such a quick effect on them.
    Liz.

Zone diet on and off for several years....worked, but too much focus on exact meal composition
    Primal since July 2010...skinniest I've ever been and the least stressed about food

demos is offline Junior Member
    Thanks!!!

tanyahk is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Are you getting enough Vitamin D? I have MS and my doctor started me out at 1000 iu of Vitamin D and I noticed that both my hair and nails had changes. My hair grows faster and is healthier. My nails grow thicker and faster and are in great shape. Recently my neuro up'd my D to 2000 iu and once again my hair and nails did jump in growth and fullness.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------
    My Primal Journal