Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why's it bad to have too many primal treats? page

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member

Why's it bad to have too many primal treats?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Seeing as most people on the primal diet tend to eat all natural whole foods anyway, what's wrong with eating a lot of the foods we consider to be treats?

Saying you make desserts with things like almond flour, bananas, eggs and cocoa powder as the main ingredients. Others being honey, coconut, fruit, nut butters, etc, what are the reasons for not having treats every day?

I've been eating a lot more of these foods because I'm getting into baking and cooking in general, but I'm using healthy natural ingredients. Why do we advise having primal treats in moderation?

How often do you have dessert foods?

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Most people are trying to lose weight/body fat.

If you were trying to gain, I don't see anything wrong with it.

randallfloyd is offline Senior Member
    I'm 125lbs.
    This is just what I wanted to hear

john_e_turner_ii is offline Senior Member
    These primal treats are typically higher in carbs. They have great ingredients, but will cause weight gain if eaten too much or too often.

Adventure8410 is offline Senior Member
    Exactly what iniQ and John said
    My whole life, I've felt like an animal......but I've ignored my instincts. I ignored what I really am. That will never happen again.

My blog

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    I agree that these treats are ok in moderation (though I'm kinda down on nut flours and nuts in general lately - too much omega-6), but I like this post also: http://www.paleonu.com/panu-weblog/2...igarettes.html

denise is offline Senior Member
    this is semantics surely "too much/too often/too many" implies a problem. You WANT to gain weight - so its "just enough"?

Of course body composition might come into this?? I am also assuming you want to gain muscle not fat?? Weight gain even on Primal won't be muscle if you eat "too many desserts", even Primal ones???

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by randallfloyd View Post
    I'm 125lbs.
    This is just what I wanted to hear
    Eat more meat and fat, then eat the sweet treats my boy.

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Here's my reason for moderation. A couple of weeks ago, I bought some coconut flour because I wanted to make muffins or pancakes--which I normally never have--i.e., I don't make any primal treats usually, limiting my eating to fish, meat, eggs, and veggies (and almond butter!).

So one day, I made a muffin (using a soup cup to make an individual one). It was so delicious with my morning coffee that I made another. I made a third one for 'lunch,' and then had a fourth one later that afternoon. I figured they were about 300 cal each, so the 1200 cal were all I should have had for the day, and I was satisfied. I tend to be a 'morning eater' and often skip any evening meal. HOWEVER, that day, by 7 pm, I was STARVING.
    That's very unusual for me because my daily calorie level is lower than 1200 (I'm post menopausal and hypothyroid with a VERY slow metabolism.)

I suspect that this happened because my muffins didn't have the nutrients that my body gets from my standard menu, so it was begging for more food.

My point is that overdoing the 'treats' isn't a good idea because we're filling ourselves up with less nutritious food.

I've decided to limit my treats to almond butter--but I first have to get control of that delicious stuff!

Phoenixflame is offline Senior Member
    Also, if you have any sort of sensitivity to sweets, they can make you crave more-- even if they're "healthy sweets." It's no different then the raw vegans who gain weight because they eat too many raw desserts (which are amazing, but super rich).

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast